Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Member Roll Call!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2015, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by cdizon
very hard to learn how to use
It will get easier with time. Starting out here is overwhelming for everyone; there are so many forums here.

I would suggest starting with the Credit Cards forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...-programs-599/

And the credit card offers thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...scription.html

Welcome !
Old Oct 20, 2015, 2:19 pm

Thanks muji!
Old Oct 20, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I started in the forum of the airline I use most and was trying to get status on. I learned a lot of tips and tricks there and that led me to other forums. For example, I read that I could use AS miles to book Emirates. I had never heard of them. So that got me to looking at what Emirates offered and when I followed that to read about their first class product, that led me to looking at where I could go with them. That led me to specific trip reports and destination forums. Then I started looking at how to earn more miles to book it, which led me to credit card forums.

So I guess what I'm saying is, don't try to learn it all at once and go off in a hundred different directions. Where do you want to go or what airline do you use most (or want to use most)? Start there and those forums will give you ideas on who they are alligned with and how to make it happen (ie whose miles to work on getting and how best to get them). And tips on getting status etc.

It is lots of fun but be warned, it is terribly addicting once you start!
Old Oct 20, 2015, 3:08 pm

Finkface thank you so much for that advice, really appreciate it.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Hi, I'm new to flyertalk and I'm finding it very hard to learn how to use. Anyone have any tips on where to start, would appreciate any insight.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Oct 20, 2015, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to FT.

I assume you've seen and read through this useful (sticky) thread...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...faqs-more.html
Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Tell us about yourself and it will be easy to suggest where you should start.
And welcome to the site.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by bruceba
Tell us about yourself and it will be easy to suggest where you should start.
I agree.
For example, you might want to note your usual airport departure city, whether you mainly travel domestically or internationally, and what you hope to accomplish (e.g., free flights and hotel stays; advice on destinations).

Three forums that I find interesting and useful are these:

1) If you are interested in general travel news and tips, at the top of the Flyertalk page click on Travel and Dining. From there click on Travelbuzz. The Travelbuzz forum has lots of interesting threads about travel tips, travel problems, and the like.

2) For information about particular destinations, click on Destinations, then select the region you are interested in.

3) If you are interested in earning points and miles, click on Miles and Points. From there click on Credit, Debit, Prepaid Card Programs, then click on Credit Card Programs.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:17 am

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the help. I'm really starting from the beginning here. My departure city is Chicag and below are some of my goals

-I'd like to find great flight deals
-I'd like to learn how to earn and maximize points and miles
-Which programs and credit cards are best for gaining miles
Old Oct 21, 2015, 12:59 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
-I'd like to find great flight deals
My go to are The Flight Deal and our very own Mileage Run Forum @:-)
Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Hello All,

FT newbie here. I've been lurking off and on for about a year and decided I'd better join. I'm so impressed by all of the information and helpful folks here

I'm not actually a frequent traveler, but my spouse is and we often try to find the best ways to use points/miles accrued. This forum has helped so much already, but I know there is more to learn!

Thanks to everyone who invests time in this site!

LELCW
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:36 am

hi everyone. i'm new here and figured i might as well introduce myself. i've mostly been hanging out in the amex forum, but i'm sure i'll start poking my nose into other places as i get more posts under my belt.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:24 am

Hi,

I'm a beat up old retired guy living with my wife in France (North of Bordeaux) and Costa Rica, in the mountains. We do quite a few home exchanges and, as a result, fly quite a bit. I also accumulated about a million miles flying when I worked.

I have just used the last of my Star Alliance miles (United mostly) and am happily switching to OneWorld or SkyTeam - haven't quite decided yet.

ervall
Old Oct 30, 2015, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by ervall
I'm a beat up old retired guy
Well, welcome to you, and to Mrs. ervall, too.
Old Oct 31, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Hi there, another new joiner here... I've been a reader/lurker for a while now and thought it was time to join and introduce myself. Most of my flying is UK domestic commute stuff with a couple of holidays thrown in - thanks FTers for the LGW-JER CE tips, you helped me get that lovely Silver card just before my points year ran out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.