Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Review Thread - Air India

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2015, 12:47 am

Programs: Blasé..
Originally Posted by Keyser
i've done del-jfk regularly & i have been quite happy with the experience in business class....you will get smiles from the fas, comfortable beds & a decent selection of indian movies....
+1... Second That

In addition, you would also get lot of Gujju's around :P

Have been doing one way AMD-EWR in J on 191 once a month since last 4 months and yet to let down. Some genuine smiles and concern, comfortable flat beds, good food and average IFE...had last trip this week on Monday.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
How is the service on EWR-BOM in J? My friends are taking this flight and they were curious what to expect. They haven't flown AI before. Thanks!
Old May 14, 2015, 5:09 am

Things seem to be back to normal at AI. I just flew ORD-DEL. I had selected an aisle seat towards the front of the plane on AI's website well ahead of time. At the check-in counter, I was told that now I had 44K for some inexplicable reason.

Same thing happened for the next connecting DEL-CCU flight. I had chosen 6F but got 27F instead. At the transfer desk at DEL, a family with small children all got separate seats, although the father clearly had OLCI BPs showing seats together. The counter staff just said that there was nothing she could do. What a mess!!
Old May 14, 2015, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by leonidas
Things seem to be back to normal at AI. I just flew ORD-DEL. I had selected an aisle seat towards the front of the plane on AI's website well ahead of time. At the check-in counter, I was told that now I had 44K for some inexplicable reason.

Same thing happened for the next connecting DEL-CCU flight. I had chosen 6F but got 27F instead. At the transfer desk at DEL, a family with small children all got separate seats, although the father clearly had OLCI BPs showing seats together. The counter staff just said that there was nothing she could do. What a mess!!
similar thing happened to me as well last week....i had blocked 3 aisle seats in the 2nd & 3rd row for me & my 2 colleagues....when we checked in we were given 1 middle & 2 window seats towards the back of the plane....their excuse was that there was an equipment change so the old seat selections were no longer valid....

it turned out to be a false statement since i travel on this route every week & the plane was the same one we usually travel on....i know this because the tray table on seat 2c (my usual seat of choice on this flight) is slightly cracked....i noticed that while walking back to my seat....
Old May 23, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
AI recent upgrade experience

Was flying AI from CCU to DXB and back recently.

Flight 1 CCU DEL
Arrived at CCU airport. As usual boarding is a mess. Still need to get the check in bags through X-ray yourself and then wait in long lines. At the counter asked the agent if two aisles seats were there side by side. She said flight sold out and people getting upgraded. Even as a *Gold with AI she did not bother to ask her supervisor to upgrade me and my dad. After check in had to go to the supervisor and get the seats upgraded. He seemed more inclined to upgrade but the staff below couldn't care less.

Flight 2 DEL DXB

Again check in agent said flight sold out. I asked if they were upgrading passengers and she said only at the gate. I asked her to keep my boarding pass number which she didn't only replied one can see in the system. We were late to reach the counter hence couldn't get seats together. However on boarding found the entire back row was blocked for crew and there was no crew there on those seats. Also many more empty seats giving me an opportunity to shift and make myself comfortable. Seems either people missed their flight or check in agent was lying

DXB to DEL
Used the get upfront offer. One needs to go to the dnta counter to pay for the same. Executive class was wide open and the online seat cost was equal to the upgrade. However they couldn't change existing reservation so missed out on the miles. Got on the plane and slept comfortably.

Flight 4 DEL CCU
Check in agent confirmed flight sold out, however was not willing to upgrade me until the last passenger checks in. This is 55 minutes before the flight. Had to go to the supervisor and again request, she said unless all passengers are checked in she will not upgrade, asked her to take my BP numbers which she did. Was upgraded at the gate with at least 5 more people. Not sure if they would have upgraded me if I had not talked to the supervisor.

Other than the DEL DXB flight all were on the Boeing 777-200 LR. Flight itself was comfortable, seats were worn out but for such short flights were decent. The in flight system worked, though somewhat buggy, but the headphones were not up to the mark, making lot of white noise once in a while.
In all the AI SBI annual fees paid for itself in this one trip itself, so no complaints. 😇
Old May 23, 2015, 11:11 pm

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
For some odd reason, the AI check-in staff either upgrades at the counter or at the gates. Unlike US carriers, they don't make a note of *G status for the upgrade wait-list.

On my recent flights, I have been upgraded to J: once at the check-in desk, once at boarding gate and once onboard- after finding that my seat was also allocated to another pax. All flights were overbooked in Y.
Old May 24, 2015, 11:33 am

Yes it seemed pretty odd that even 10 minutes before flight the Delhi supervisor did not seemed inclined to upgrade me. But what really seems to be bad customer service is that a check in agent does not care to even inform the supervisor and ask for the wait list to be upgraded, one needs to go to the supervisor and plead their case.
Not sure if that is the procedure to be followed.

I always found AI on board service to be just about decent however their ground service is still lacking. Improved for maybe three years ago but still lacking a lot compared to the competition

Originally Posted by GuyFromBOM
For some odd reason, the AI check-in staff either upgrades at the counter or at the gates. Unlike US carriers, they don't make a note of *G status for the upgrade wait-list.

On my recent flights, I have been upgraded to J: once at the check-in desk, once at boarding gate and once onboard- after finding that my seat was also allocated to another pax. All flights were overbooked in Y.
Old May 24, 2015, 11:34 am

Yes it seemed pretty odd that even 10 minutes before flight the Delhi supervisor did not seemed inclined to upgrade me. But what really seems to be bad customer service is that a check in agent does not care to even inform the supervisor and ask for the wait list to be upgraded, one needs to go to the supervisor and plead their case.
Not sure if that is the procedure to be followed.

I always found AI on board service to be just about decent however their ground service is still lacking. Improved from maybe three years ago but still lacking a lot compared to the competition

Originally Posted by GuyFromBOM

Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by leonidas

Originally Posted by Keyser
similar thing happened to me as well last week....i had blocked 3 aisle seats in the 2nd & 3rd row for me & my 2 colleagues....when we checked in we were given 1 middle & 2 window seats towards the back of the plane....their excuse was that there was an equipment change so the old seat selections were no longer valid....

it turned out to be a false statement since i travel on this route every week & the plane was the same one we usually travel on....i know this because the tray table on seat 2c (my usual seat of choice on this flight) is slightly cracked....i noticed that while walking back to my seat....
On my return DEL-ORD flight same problem. I had chosen seats only to get booted back to the end of the plane by the system at checkin. To make matters worse, my AVOD screen didn't work both the ORD-DEL and DEL-ORD flights. For that matter, it seemed that maybe about half the screens on the plane didn't work properly. What a junk airline. This was definitely my last long haul flight with them.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:23 am

AI agents - Lying or ignorant

Had a flight from delhi to ccu today afternoon. Party of 2 adults 1 child and 1 infant. I had a couple of upgrade vouchers I used for my wife and daughter. I asked the check in agent of the flight load and she said lot of space in economy and the only way to upgrade was the get upfront paid upgrade. I told her that I had called the call center for miles upgrade and they said flight is oversold, however I did not insist and went for a paid upgrade. During boarding the gate agent confirmed that the flight was oversold and they had to upgrade passengers. I feel a little cheated although it wouldn't matter but I expect check in agents not to lie, or is it that she was genuinely ignorant.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:20 am

Recently flew AI121 DEL-FRA. The ground service was horrible. Boarding started approx. 20 min late and there was only 1 agent at gate to check the BPs. No priority boarding for J passengers and *G holders. People just rushed in from both counters

Once inside, the service changed completely. I was shown my seat, the crew introduced and welcomed every passenger separately; The welcome drinks range was much better than my last Swiss flight from Zurich.

The service was quick, and efficient. The crew was very experienced and attention to detail was impressive.

The 787 cabin beats down other long hauls by sheer sense of space. (I haven't been in A380 yet). The hard product is one of the better ones except the color . For me, the footrest was too far and I couldn't reach without converting the seat in reclined position.

The menus were printed similar to here and it was handed over in a faux leather folder. No personal amenity kits but the restrooms were equipped with them. The meals were tasty and beverages selection was decent.

The service remained consistent throughout the flight and overall I was really impressed. The service was much more personalized than my Swiss flight (also due to less J seats). If AI can keep it up this way, the long haul J product will be quite competitive. ^
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
This is the classic AI many of us have known: Ground service is reliably bad. Irrops would be nightmare. Cabin service is usually good and can even be very good.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:37 am

Did 3 flights recently on AI -

*Jul 18 AI 131 LHR-BOM J B787*
Incoming flight was on time but the outbound was about 30 mins late pushing back. AI's lounge leaves a lot to be desired in terms of food choices so decided to have lunch on board. Business class was about 2/3rd full with nobody sitting next to me (I was in 3D). Service on board was excellent with good food, constant refills without having to ask and with some genuine smiles. Despite the late departure, we landed about 10-15 mins early. TV audio didn't work so just changed seats. One weird thing - I reached the check in counter about 75 mins before scheduled departure and one of the staff members hanging around said he was about to call me to see if I was coming. I asked him why and he said because it was close to departure time and because everybody else had checked in. I just said I had no check in bags.

*Jul 23 AI 021 CCU-DEL J B787*
Domestic flight but leaves from the international terminal (all AI flights starting with 0, 1, 2, 3 and 9 do). The contract lounge in the corner upstairs isn't that great but has good wifi. We left about 5 mins late but landed 20 mins late due to traffic issues in DEL. Another flight with good food and service.

*Jul 23 AI 111 DEL-LHR J B77W*
Flight was quite empty, saw many people in Y sleeping across the entire row when I did a walk around. Pushed back on time and arrived 25 mins early. And not surprisingly, enjoyed the food but could have used some more smiles, too many "I am just following instructions" faces.

My experience out of LHR on AI has been consistently good over the last 1 year and with fares usually about 30% below competition, it is a no brainer (on this trip, AI was around £1500 while the next best was EK at £2200).
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:58 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 678flyer
My experience out of LHR on AI has been consistently good over the last 1 year and with fares usually about 30% below competition, it is a no brainer (on this trip, AI was around £1500 while the next best was EK at £2200).
Good to know on-board food is still one of AI's strong suits.
Can I ask about the consistency of amenities? Were menus provided on all flights? How about pajamas or other toiletries?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 5:11 am

Programs: 9WPlat
Originally Posted by 678flyer
Did 3 flights recently on AI -

*Jul 18 AI 131 LHR-BOM J B787*

*Jul 23 AI 111 DEL-LHR J B77W*
Which J product in your experience was better, 787 or the 77W ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.