Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Review Thread - Air India

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by jasdou
Has anyone here flown on the A320neo? Is there any trip report out there for this bird in business class?
What routes are these Neos flying?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The A320N are not really following a fixed pattern... they are all over the place: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...r-india-ai-aic
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Just pray you dont get one of the VT-EDx A320, they have about 4 of them left in the system. Last month I had one of those... I've never felt that unsecure in an aircraft. The engines where howling as if all derating was switched to full thrust because there is is no life left in it.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The A320N are not really following a fixed pattern... they are all over the place: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...r-india-ai-aic
Wow that’s pretty crazy. I thought that aircraft stuck to the same route but it seems like they go all over the place. That would make routing / seating management a nightmare. Even if they have similar config of aircraft flying in a single route.

I’m surprised we don’t have more issues around having seat 22C on my BP and going and getting on board to see the flight has seats till row 19 only.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:22 am

deleted
Old Oct 2, 2019, 5:13 pm

What happened to AI555 Bombay-Delhi flight today? It attempted landing 11 times on Ahmedabad and then turned back to Bombay. Any idea?

Source - Flightradar
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:28 am

Chronic delays

Flew BOM-MAA-BOM (Three round trips total) in the past 20 days or so (various days of the week / departure times ranging from ~ 6Am through 6:30PM).

All six flights were delayed between 1 to 3 hours. The reason was always "Delay of incoming aircraft".

??AI operations are seemingly getting worse??
However, on board (Economy class) - things were fine. Hot meal served on all segments. Lounge access given (UA* Gold). Baggage allowances honored.

We really prefer air India (especially with the Star Gold benefits, which we always seem to use).
Indigo obviously has way more frequency on this route and many other routes. Indigo seats feel like wooden benches.
Have not tried Vistara yet.
Oh well.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by xDan
With this kind of experience, I honestly don’t feel very driven to choose Air India again, however I would like to fly it on a longer route when the services are back on, purely for the sake of reviewing the full product.
i end up flying ai very often on long haul flights....or rather did before the pandemic....every year from del i would end up making close to 10 trips to sin, dxb & lhr on ai....the service & seat quality is average at best in the best of times....not much has changed with ai for a very long time & privatization will be the only saving grace for this airline....
Old Mar 1, 2021, 2:44 am

Got moderna will travel. AI F ORD- DEL

This is a short trip report primarily directed towards the ever changing rules on travel to india.
With higher rollout of vaccine and my ability to get one I was planning to go see elderly family in india. Having one finally was able to get time arranged to travel.
Indian government announced new rules and regulations on Feb 22 and this just became a trip into the Indian babugiri to start.

Firstly the COVID test. The United Trustassure app gives locations of multiple sites by zip code that give results in less than 48 or 72 hours. The problem is the basic test accepted by the State of Hawaii NAAT is not accepted by the Indian government as it doesn’t say RTPCR on the report. It says “ NAAT by RTPCR or TMA” which of course is a problem for the babus of air india.

So I ended up getting 4 tests at different sites to ensure I got a report in time and it said RTPCR within the 72 hour window.

Honestly looking at some of travel experience of others on the FB SOS india travel forum I was apprehensive about traveling but needed to see family after 16 months.

so with results in hand got to ORD 3 hours ahead of schedule. Lines were packed so was the check in for F/J / *G.
First problem arose when several elderly couple ahead of me in business were denied boarding as their report only said “SAARS cov 2 “ negative without the word RTPCR. Never mind there is no difference in PCR but the babus at checkin from the Gandhian area kept on insisting on seeing those magic words.

Then for my checkin the same babu wanted a copy of my old canceled passport. I did not carry the same and he was ready to deny me boarding. Talking to the supervisor and showing them the Indian Embassy note from 2015 that “U” sticker was not required to be transferred the babus made me sign some form that I would not be holding AI responsible if I got sent back from Delhi airport.

Having checked in and with no precheck I made it to the Air France lounge which code shares with AI. Lounge was full with pax from Air India and Korean Air Flights.

Air France Lounge

Walking down the aisle

Temperature was checked prior to boarding and was asked to wear face shield prior to entering the aircraft.

First class was full. Oddly in true AI fashion when I asked for switching to a window city they said two of the seats were blocked for Mechanical issues and in the end some Embassy or AI executive travelled in those seats.

Buisness class was at about 60% while Coach was nearly full. staff was insisting on every on keep masks and shields on and were in full body suits themselves.

I chose to travel F primarily for social distancing and full lie flat bed. But in pandemic era travel there were only a small blanket and pillow but no bed mattress or PJs or Amenity Kit. My neighbor actually brought a sleeping bag something I missed not realizing the same.

Empty First class

I raised the seat divider and kept it up throughout the flight.

Only alcohol options were Red / White and Beer. A semi decent bottle of Sula sufficient.

Menu on single piece of paper.

Staff gave a bag of snacks for munching.

Vegetarian meal. Simple spice free and enjoyable.

Full body suit for all staff.

35 minutes from landing to Domestic Air india lounge. I spent more time arguing with the checkin babu in Chicago than it took me to the get domestic lounge.

Passenger assistance for F pax at Delhi. We needed to get some stamps on exiting the plane and he was helpful in getting them. Unsure what purpose it served.
AI Domestic lounge was packed with Showers sealed. Sadly the Platinum lounge was closed.
For arrival in Delhi they did not check any of my four RTPCR tests (which had to be uploaded to the air suvidha website) nor did Indian BOI ask for my old passport. Seems like some local stations of AI run like fiefdoms and ORD is no exception.
lamphs, deovrat, superboi and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 2:57 am

Interesting to see that they didn't load the bedding but had better food and a menu.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by rsh913
This is a short trip report primarily directed towards the ever changing rules on travel to india.
With higher rollout of vaccine and my ability to get one I was planning to go see elderly family in india. Having one finally was able to get time arranged to travel.
Indian government announced new rules and regulations on Feb 22 and this just became a trip into the Indian babugiri to start.

Then for my checkin the same babu wanted a copy of my old canceled passport. I did not carry the same and he was ready to deny me boarding. Talking to the supervisor and showing them the Indian Embassy note from 2015 that “U” sticker was not required to be transferred the babus made me sign some form that I would not be holding AI responsible if I got sent back from Delhi airport.
For arrival in Delhi they did not check any of my four RTPCR tests (which had to be uploaded to the air suvidha website) nor did Indian BOI ask for my old passport. Seems like some local stations of AI run like fiefdoms and ORD is no exception.
Kudos to you for successfully making it through the ORD fiefdom. They would not listen to reason on the made up old passport requirement and all I had to do was walk a few dozen feet and buy a ticket on another carrier and skip all the nonsense. Makes me rethink my future travel with them.

No one in DEL asked me for the old passport nor any of the made up story from ORD
Old Mar 1, 2021, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
Originally Posted by rsh913

Firstly the COVID test. The United Trustassure app gives locations of multiple sites by zip code that give results in less than 48 or 72 hours. The problem is the basic test accepted by the State of Hawaii NAAT is not accepted by the Indian government as it doesn’t say RTPCR on the report. It says “ NAAT by RTPCR or TMA” which of course is a problem for the babus of air india.

So I ended up getting 4 tests at different sites to ensure I got a report in time and it said RTPCR within the 72 hour window.

Honestly looking at some of travel experience of others on the FB SOS india travel forum I was apprehensive about traveling but needed to see family after 16 months.

so with results in hand got to ORD 3 hours ahead of schedule. Lines were packed so was the check in for F/J / *G.
First problem arose when several elderly couple ahead of me in business were denied boarding as their report only said “SAARS cov 2 “ negative without the word RTPCR. Never mind there is no difference in PCR but the babus at checkin from the Gandhian area kept on insisting on seeing those magic words.

Having checked in and with no precheck I made it to the Air France lounge which code shares with AI. Lounge was full with pax from Air India and Korean Air Flights.

Air France Lounge

Walking down the aisle

Temperature was checked prior to boarding and was asked to wear face shield prior to entering the aircraft.

First class was full. Oddly in true AI fashion when I asked for switching to a window city they said two of the seats were blocked for Mechanical issues and in the end some Embassy or AI executive travelled in those seats.

Buisness class was at about 60% while Coach was nearly full. staff was insisting on every on keep masks and shields on and were in full body suits themselves.

I chose to travel F primarily for social distancing and full lie flat bed. But in pandemic era travel there were only a small blanket and pillow but no bed mattress or PJs or Amenity Kit. My neighbor actually brought a sleeping bag something I missed not realizing the same.

Empty First class

I raised the seat divider and kept it up throughout the flight.

Only alcohol options were Red / White and Beer. A semi decent bottle of Sula sufficient.

Menu on single piece of paper.

Staff gave a bag of snacks for munching.

Vegetarian meal. Simple spice free and enjoyable.

Full body suit for all staff.

35 minutes from landing to Domestic Air india lounge. I spent more time arguing with the checkin babu in Chicago than it took me to the get domestic lounge.

Passenger assistance for F pax at Delhi. We needed to get some stamps on exiting the plane and he was helpful in getting them. Unsure what purpose it served.
AI Domestic lounge was packed with Showers sealed. Sadly the Platinum lounge was closed.
The stamps upon exiting that the passenger assistance guy got was verification of RTPCR and Air Suvidha (now as F pax - not sure if they actually checked ) ..

I just got back last night ORD-DEL in UA J... I confirm that even UA staff was looking for the words RTPCR on the negative test report.. so much so that upon finding - they marked it with a highlighter!! btw - UA J on this route sucks (hard product) as its not full Polaris config..
Old Mar 1, 2021, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by galaticos
I confirm that even UA staff was looking for the words RTPCR on the negative test report.. so much so that upon finding - they marked it with a highlighter!!
unfortunately its just the mindset that's followed in this country....people will refuse to listen to reason....

have a del-iad flight coming up in a few week on ai....not an experience i'm looking forward to....
Old Mar 1, 2021, 11:53 pm

If it doesn’t explicitly mention RTPCR it could be RAT test which is why they’re asking for RTPCR to be specifically mentioned on the test. Unless I’m missing something here - that’s not an unreasonable check they’re doing.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 11:53 pm

As long as the word ‘First’ isn’t misspelled on the menu, all is good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.