Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Review Thread - Air India

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2016, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The 772ER used in the route...
The route uses 777-200LR equipment. Air India no longer has any 777-200ERs.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Rahul Upadhyaya
Hi,
I have an upcoming DEL-SFO trip. I was weighing my options for flights and the 15 hour,direct AI flight does seem very attractive.

Can anyone provide with some feedback/review about the flying experience on this route with Air India?

Regards
i flew this route once when it first started & regularly fly del-jfk....i have always found the flying experience to be satisfactory....the seats are comfortable, the service is attentive, the food is fine, in-flight entertainment is not the best but satisfactory....not the best airline by a long shot but comfortable enough....
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:12 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Rahul Upadhyaya
Hi,
I have an upcoming DEL-SFO trip. I was weighing my options for flights and the 15 hour,direct AI flight does seem very attractive.

Can anyone provide with some feedback/review about the flying experience on this route with Air India?

Regards
The experience is fine, but of course depends on the class of travel and your preferences.
I just completed a round-trip on this flight (first time) SFO-DEL (Dec24th) and DEL-SFO (Dec 31st), in Biz. Service was pretty good, though meal options were surprisingly few for business class. Flights were more or less on time (the return flight landed an hour late) and the lounge experience was also fine. But the seat itself is sub-par compared to most other airlines long-haul business class. The IFE selection is also not great.

Based on this experience, here is what I would do for future trips -
~ If traveling in F, this flight probably would be my first preference for the non-stop service (unless the other option is to travel in EK or EY F).
~ If traveling in J, I would probably avoid AI in favor of other airlines with a flat-bed, unless I really need to reduce the travel time (as was the case for this only week long trip).
~ If traveling in Y (hopefully not :-), I would prefer shorter segments with one stop. Even in J, this flight felt never-ending, so I could only imagine how it would feel in Y.

HTH
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Enjoyed AI domestic operated by 788 again, awesome service. This time they actually had a menu. Breakfast no longer has the cornflakes started and there were only 2 choices of veg non-veg each this time, but its still better than domestic operated by IC:
Attached Images  
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:41 pm

SIN-BOM AI 788 C class

Flew SIN BOM on AI in the 788 recently. The service was simply amazing. All of the FA's were obviously very experienced and were totally happy to do their work.
We were simply blown away by the service levels!

Here is the Asian Veg dinner (AVML). Superb taste!! We enjoyed it thoroughly!

Later, we met the crew in Baggage claim and told them how we enjoyed the flight.

Interestingly, the baggage took about 40 minutes to start arriving on the belt. I spoke to the AI bag desk...asking where the bags where. Boy, she immediately got on the phone (less than 5 seconds from the moment I asked the question) and figured out that the unloading area near the plane had an oil spill. So, they were cleaning up to make it safe.
She quickly went around the baggage claim belt area letting all passengers know that there is an emergency causing the delay and that she was sorry about it.
^^
WoW!! What great attitude!
Attached Images  
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
It seems menus are often not loaded, how can that be? Also, it's pretty cheap that meals are just a one-tray service. Does this vary between night and day flights? It should at least be a 2-3 course affair to differentiate it from economy somewhat.

Does AI not offer ground transportation anymore for J pax? It seems pajamas are offered selectively on night flights...perhaps another case of "they forgot to load them."
Old Feb 26, 2017, 2:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Which flight(s) are you commenting on? PJs come on longer flights, J service is multiple rounds depending on the time of the day and length of the flight.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Which flight(s) are you commenting on? PJs come on longer flights, J service is multiple rounds depending on the time of the day and length of the flight.
Madrid-Delhi

beverage cart pass
meal served on one tray
fruit/cheese cart

Pajamas were given along with really attractive amenity kits (although the products inside were cheap)
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:09 am

AI136 departs at 10pm, so a quick one tray service is probably expected...?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 5:06 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Any recent experience on AI191 DEL-EWR?

Have a choice between that in F and UA in J. I do quite like having wifi but it's not a dealbreaker to be disconnected for a bit.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by glx
Any recent experience on AI191 DEL-EWR?

Have a choice between that in F and UA in J. I do quite like having wifi but it's not a dealbreaker to be disconnected for a bit.
i can relate on the wifi bit but between these 2 i would pick ai in f....
Old Mar 6, 2017, 4:28 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by Keyser
i can relate on the wifi bit but between these 2 i would pick ai in f....
Any particular reason why?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glx
Any particular reason why?
i find the ai seat in f to be much better than the ua seat in j....also, on board service is better on ai....
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:16 pm
glx

Originally Posted by Keyser
i find the ai seat in f to be much better than the ua seat in j....also, on board service is better on ai....
...but wifi for 17 hours! :

Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glx
...but wifi for 17 hours! :

Thanks!
agreed....it all depends on what's important to you....for me, i would take into consideration that its a night flight so i would be asleep for about 8 hours or so....another half hour each for take off & landing where wifi won't be available & another hour where i would be dining & not using the internet....that's about 10 hours out of the 15 & a half of flying time....i think i can do without use able internet access for 5 hours when the alternative is better service & seating....

but to each their own....i have a colleague who would rather fly in economy with wifi than in business without it....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.