Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Review Thread - Air India

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2014, 1:16 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by ashishp
The JAI-DEL flight 611 lands at 12 noon, and the LHR flight is at 2pm - so barely 120 minutes connection time.

But i think you will make it.

DEL connections at T3 are seamless. One of the 2 daily flights is a 787 now and F is only on the 77W. Think the afternoon AI111 is a 787.
The afternoon flight is a 777, leaves at 245 pm so we have almost three hours.
No idea how AI ground staff will handle a misconnect though!
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
another bad experience with ai yesterday....

was flying bom-del on the 1pm flight....got to the airport a little before noon to learn that the flight had been delayed to 3:15pm....at 12:15pm i get a sms from ai & at 12:30pm a call, informing me the flight has been delayed....i don't know what the point was of sending a sms or calling at that point....

3:15 became 3:30, 3:30 became 4 & finally 4 became 4:30....the flight in itself was uneventful when it finally took off....was supposed to be back in del by 3 but finally made it back at 6:30pm....
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
AI 143 MAA-DEL on a 320 and then DEL-CDG on a 787. MAA-DEL was delayed by an hour, leaving me barely 40 minutes to walk a rather long distance to the transfer point, clear security (where AI employees convinced the officers to let us jump the queue) and then walk past that endless series of dutyfree shops and several more gates to the gate where the 787 was parked. Made it by a whisker ..

The flight was very comfortable, IFE was top notch and there's a USB power socket next to the screen, brightness / darkness of the window seemed to be centrally managed and set not to be overridden from 'dark' for most of the flight .. Above average food and when I asked for a vodka and orange, I got handed two glasses of OJ and two miniatures of Finlandia. The rest of the flight passed in a pleasant haze, that part of it which wasn't spent watching classic old movies.

The seats are quite firm and very decent amounts of recline, and there's a footrest [plus I had the entire row to myself this time, good fun].
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:19 am

Programs: 9W Plat, UK Plat, AI Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Taj IC Silver
Had a pathetic experience yesterday. My flight was supposed to depart at 6 PM from Delhi, but was delayed by an hour. Had blocked adjacent seats for myself and my child, but they changed seats, and I had to fight with check-in staff to get the same seats that I had blocked. Inside the flight, there were no pillows, no headphones (I was offered headphones used by passengers during the last flight, which I obviously refused), IFE display wasn't clear at all. I was seated on 12th row, but on asking for a non-veg meal, I was told they have been distributed to passengers sitting in front of me!! The FAs had a standard answer, they will provide this feedback to the concerned department.

While none of the above matter too much in isolation, it all adds up to a poor experience. Unfortunately, not many better options are available, which is such a sorry state of affairs.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC, Blue for now.
Does Anybody know what/how much food is likely to be served on a 5am economy flight from Chennai to Port Blair?
Also what options to get a decent take away breakfast at the airport?
And finally are there still retiring rooms at Chennai airport?

Many thanks, I have a long travelling day/night/day and once I get to port Blair have to make the ferry so won't have much time to get food until mid afternoon.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 9:34 pm

How many flights from BOM to Europe or Middle East does AI operate. Which routes?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
Originally Posted by Gumbieben
Does Anybody know what/how much food is likely to be served on a 5am economy flight from Chennai to Port Blair?
Also what options to get a decent take away breakfast at the airport?
And finally are there still retiring rooms at Chennai airport?

Many thanks, I have a long travelling day/night/day and once I get to port Blair have to make the ferry so won't have much time to get food until mid afternoon.
There are a few stalls & also a lounge that can get you access via Visa Signature & other CC's. But its unikely that their offerings will be timely / sufficient.

The AI flight on the other hand being a 2:10 hrs flight should have a sufficient breakfast spread.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: AI-FR, 9W-JP
Originally Posted by johndwyer
How many flights from BOM to Europe or Middle East does AI operate. Which routes?
This should help: http://airindia.in/time-table.htm
Old Jun 11, 2014, 5:01 am

Programs: 9W Plat, UK Plat, AI Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Taj IC Silver
Another poor experience.

Reached Mumbai airport early 83 PM) for a 4:30 PM flight to Bangalore. It earlier got delayed to 5 and now 5:30, which is also doubtful since the aircraft hasn't landed yet.

If anyone is at Mumbai airport now, happy to meet, I am in Amex lounge in terminal 1C.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:44 am
Jzo

Programs: MileagePlus Gold
DEL-ORD round trip

The planes were 777s. For DEL-ORD, I sat in the aisle of the center block of row 50 with an empty seat next to me. Plenty of leg room, IFE not impressive, food OK.

ORD-DEL: I was asked at checkin if I wanted an exit-row seat (maybe because I was traveling alone and appeared fit enough to open the door). Of course I accepted. Very spacious, even far enough from the toilet that I didn't have anyone tripping over me and grabbing my IFE screen as a crutch. Food again OK (clearly brought from DEL and not from ORD).

All in all, far better than expected for my first international trip on AI. I usually fly LH.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: AI Gold, TK Gold, QR Silver, 9W BluePlus
Flight Review Thread - Air India

Flew AI from CCU-IST and back via Delhi. Had a stopover on the outbound so no through luggage however the flight from CCU to Del left in time, luggage marked priority was there before I reached the belt. CCU staff seemed as indifferent no smile no greeting felt like interacting with a check in machine. In flight meal was the worst I had actually eded up eating just the bread.
From IST luggage was checked in through to CCU. Had to pick up clear customs and drop off bags at the main counter at DEL (transfer luggage only for air India to air India flights). Check in agent was friendly, luggage was tagged priority although the same was last in CCU ( this has been a consistent problem with CCU baggage handlers where transfer luggage will be given priority over everyone else somehow). Inflight meal was fine this time although I slept through the flight for any kind of service.
Small note Compared to Turkish A330 economy I would anyday take the AI dreamliner. Much better seat width, pitch and recline. IFE is more or less similar and service seems to be comparable on both.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:15 am

Had a run to Delhi and back recently on AI.... the flights were the usual standard however this was the first time I used the city check in at the new Delhi metro station. AI has the most rude and unapologetic staff on ground. We were three people going from Delhi to Kolkata on two different flights. My brother was leaving on the 5PM flight while me and my uncle were on the 8PM flight. At the metro check in they refused to check my brother luggage in as it was beyond their time to check in, so he gave me his bag and proceeded to the airport.

We had a total of 4 pieces of luggage and they refused to check in a carton as they were allowed to only checkin bags. So we had to open the carton and repack everything in the three bags. After we did the same the check in agent said that the luggage was above the allowed limit by 2 kilos. She was the same agent who told my brother that he could not check in his bag and saw him gave the bag to me at the counter itself. I told her that would she consider the same seeing he has not given any luggage. She refused outrightly and said she cannot consider the same. She asked us to take 2 kilos worth of luggage in hand. I told her that since we do not have any cabin luggage maybe she could let it slide by. I know she was in her full right to deny the same, however the way she was responding to me was highly disgraceful. No eye contact, answers in yes and no, just a statement and looking away at her colleague and chatting.

All the while I knew my uncle would get another 10 kgs by just registering on the Air India FFP. I did the same on my mobile and gave her the number. She agreed to now take the luggage and then asked us to get the luggage tagged nearby. She could have very well told us this even before taking our details or while I was registering for the AI FFP for my uncle. So much for being communicative, we missed our metro connection by 5 minutes which we could have avoided.

I was about to sign off on the worst AI trip of mine, however things got worse since my I had the flu and it got worse before I reached the airport. Thankfully i had all three seats to myself on the flight, however with an upset stomach, I could not even get a wink to sleep until an air hostess went to the front cabin and got me a pillow to make things oh so much better. I had neither asked for a pillow nor was I expecting one and somehow I feel most of the AI air hostess have turned a corner over my limited flying experience.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
I'm definitely generalizing here but the reviews that slam AI for being one hour late or not breaking the rules (too early check in, over weight bags etc) seem a bit harsh. While AI is no great airline, there seems to be expectations that apply to AI expectations and then others. Given AI's reputation, if the worst thing that happened to you is they made you take 2 kgs out of your bag or the flight was 1 hour late, you should count yourself lucky!

Nice to see people flying AI for the miles. I've always said Indian airlines were wrong in refusing to join alliances. Leaving aside their home markets, the two largest VFR markets, the US and UK, are addicted to miles.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
I'm definitely generalizing here but the reviews that slam AI for being one hour late or not breaking the rules (too early check in, over weight bags etc) seem a bit harsh. While AI is no great airline, there seems to be expectations that apply to AI expectations and then others. Given AI's reputation, if the worst thing that happened to you is they made you take 2 kgs out of your bag or the flight was 1 hour late, you should count yourself lucky!

Nice to see people flying AI for the miles. I've always said Indian airlines were wrong in refusing to join alliances. Leaving aside their home markets, the two largest VFR markets, the US and UK, are addicted to miles.
I totally agree with you, I have had a pathetic counter experience with indigo in BKK where they refused to allow 1 kilo extra in hand luggage when we we were 2 pax and a small child and the child bottle water alone in hand was about that much weight. (My wife would not let her sip any other water)
My only expectation is that any agent at the counter should be polite yet firm. You can say no with a smile also, if the body language becomes aggressive or shows irritation it leaves a lasting sour feeling. I was ready to hear no at the AI counter and only requested her once to see if she could manage, however the refusal seemed more of a rebuke rather than a polite sorry sir this is not in my hand, which I think is more desirable.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:24 pm

Usually Air India is much more co-operative than other airlines when it comes to excess baggage weight. and +10kgs even for the base membership of their FFP is a huge bonus for signing up. Also agree with CCU, the agent's attitude leaves a good / bad long lasting experience. I recently faced a terrible situation with a jet agent at CDG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.