Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
As of February 2024:

Closest open entrance from the hotel to the Metro Center Station is 11th & G Streets.

Active construction (jackhammers and loud banging) on the 12th and 11th floors. Hotel Is booking rooms directly under the construction zone!

Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2010, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
What is the neighbor hood like?

Where is the street parking that should be available on weekends or the $10 lots?

So i take it the lounge is open on the weekends which is a nice plus?

Sounds like u/gs are not as likely as the PH though????

What is the closest metro stop?

thanks.. right now leaning toward the PH though which does also have a lot more in the current reviews (2010)
Old Jul 14, 2010, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

Where is the street parking that should be available on weekends or the $10 lots?

thanks.. right now leaning toward the PH though which does also have a lot more in the current reviews (2010)
Can't comment on the hotel, but the neighborhood is near chinatown. Many chain restaurants. Georgetown (PH) location is much better, but this is closer to metro and museums. There is street parking and lots literally in front of the hotel. The closest metro stop is Metro Center serving the red, orange, and blue lines. The PH is much nicer, except if you have a family, the Grand Club and double/double rooms would be better vs. no club and two twins/king at the PH.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

A little rougher towards the Verizon Center, but generally okay.

GH is known to always upgrade Diamond members to the club floor, which is massive and has close to 100 rooms...in generally, do not expect more and you will not be disappointed. More than 50 % of the rooms at the PH used to be junior suites, now called Premier Park rooms, so you have a good chance of getting one of those rooms. Getting suites for free at the GH and PH Washington is difficult for a regular Diamond member, chances are slightly higher at the GH.

PH is the better hotel in a better neighborhood, GH has a club open on weekends and convenient parking below the hotel...
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:12 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
I found the GH Grand Club to be rather grim, unfortunately.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:13 am

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
they do have parking passes for diamond

Do I assume this parking pass is for free parking or just reserving me a spot?

"On behalf of our entire team, we would like to welcome you back to the Grand Hyatt Washington We thank you for choosing us once again and we look forward to exceeding your expectations every time you come back to visit. As the hotel’s VIP Manager, I offer you my services to make your stay exceptional. From assisting with any special requests in your room to making arrangements for transportation or restaurant reservations, I’m happy to do whatever I can to help you while you are with us. Please let me know if you plan on driving into the city so that I may include for you a valet parking pass assuring you a space. As a Diamond member we thank you to your loyal patronage to Hyatt and thank you for your business. We want your visit to be as comfortable and pleasant as possible, so please feel free to call on me and let me know what I can do to make that so. In addition, I am compiling profiles for our Diamond guests so that I may get to know you and get familiar with your preferences. I would love to know your birthday, anniversary, favorite sports teams, etc. So that I may personally get to you know on an individual basis.
"
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by y2k1jetta
Do I assume this parking pass is for free parking or just reserving me a spot?

"On behalf of our entire team, we would like to welcome you back to the Grand Hyatt Washington We thank you for choosing us once again and we look forward to exceeding your expectations every time you come back to visit. As the hotel’s VIP Manager, I offer you my services to make your stay exceptional. From assisting with any special requests in your room to making arrangements for transportation or restaurant reservations, I’m happy to do whatever I can to help you while you are with us. Please let me know if you plan on driving into the city so that I may include for you a valet parking pass assuring you a space. As a Diamond member we thank you to your loyal patronage to Hyatt and thank you for your business. We want your visit to be as comfortable and pleasant as possible, so please feel free to call on me and let me know what I can do to make that so. In addition, I am compiling profiles for our Diamond guests so that I may get to know you and get familiar with your preferences. I would love to know your birthday, anniversary, favorite sports teams, etc. So that I may personally get to you know on an individual basis.
"
The parking garage of the hotel is quite small and narrow, even for European standards, so I would assume that they offer to reserve a spot for you, however do not comp parking for Diamond members...
Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond, National Exec Elite
I will be there tomorrow for 3 nights (at $89/night AAA breakfast rate I saved my certs for PH Toronto next month) and got the same basic e-mail from the VIP mgr welcoming me back even though I have never been there before!! I requested the parking pass and was e-mailed a pass that shows a spot reserved in my name but it also clearly spelled out the cost for self and valet parking. Not sure if it matters between plat and diamond but it was not free for me upfront and I doubt it will be comped later but we shall see.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 9:55 am

Location: PHL/KOA - SU '03 M BB NCAA Champs/Phillies '08 WS Champs/Eagles '18 SB Champs
Programs: AA EXP (3MM)/HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BBFD
I will be there tomorrow for 3 nights (at $89/night AAA breakfast rate I saved my certs for PH Toronto next month) and got the same basic e-mail from the VIP mgr welcoming me back even though I have never been there before!! I requested the parking pass and was e-mailed a pass that shows a spot reserved in my name but it also clearly spelled out the cost for self and valet parking. Not sure if it matters between plat and diamond but it was not free for me upfront and I doubt it will be comped later but we shall see.
I was just there and will be back again next week. Parking is not free, but they will reserve parking for Plats and Diamonds. This is a decent "perk", in that the garage does sell out. So if you want to park at the hotel, I would definitely ask them to reserve a spot.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 5:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by MarriottHotelsFan
Can't comment on the hotel, but the neighborhood is near chinatown. Many chain restaurants. Georgetown (PH) location is much better, but this is closer to metro and museums. There is street parking and lots literally in front of the hotel. The closest metro stop is Metro Center serving the red, orange, and blue lines. The PH is much nicer, except if you have a family, the Grand Club and double/double rooms would be better vs. no club and two twins/king at the PH.
I need to pull the trigger today or tomorrow for this coming weekend for one night for a Nats game with my kids.

I'm leaning PH as the diamond upgrade opportunity sounds better (or am I wrong?). I plan on arriving mid to late afternoon to dump our stuff before taking the metro to the game. Now being the lounge lizard that I am, the evening lounge access seems like a bonus at this property. Although, the b/f credits at the PH are more along my preferences. I do like the close proximity to the metro though at this property and the other main selling point is the mention of street parking close to the hotel.

Regarding the street parking, will I have to feed meters at night, in the morning? How much was the valet? self park?
Old Aug 8, 2010, 7:19 am

If you're an AA member there's the breakfast rate which is good.
Later evening sweets (around 8:30 if I'm correct) are very good. My kids really enjoyed the red velvet cupcakes one night, decadent chocolate cake and cheesecake the other two.
They could take or leave the evening offerings which were more antipasto in nature. Don't think there was a hot offering.

We're heading down to DC next weekend and since we just need a place to sleep on Saturday to make sure we've make our 4PM flight out of DCA we're staying in Hyatt Dulles on Costco rate since parking is free -- $65 ai w/$25 credit, using Hyatt cert (save $10) and Diamond breakfast it's a no brainer.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 9:07 am

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Conference Suites

I called to apply my 1st diamond suite upgrade.
Email says suite connector, but the rep said I got a conference suite.
What should I expect?
I reserved a king and requested a rollaway.
My parents are coming to visit and want them to have the bed and I can stay in the other room.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Originally Posted by stallion114
I called to apply my 1st diamond suite upgrade.
Email says suite connector, but the rep said I got a conference suite.
What should I expect?
I reserved a king and requested a rollaway.
My parents are coming to visit and want them to have the bed and I can stay in the other room.
If your Hyatt account reservations page has 2 listings for your one reservation (1 + 1) then you have a suite connector. You'll have a regular room connected to a living room with a sofa bed and a small kitchen. The ones I've received have been on the first floor.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: HH: Diamond, WofH: Globalist, UA: 1k, Longterm member only post when I have something new to ask/say
Horrible front desk service

Stayed here midweek, approx $450 for one night including tax. As a several times over repeat guest not only did I not receive the welcome back email people who have never stayed here before reported receiving a few months back, but when I called the front desk to see if my room was ready (I used a suite upgrade certificate), the front desk put me on hold twice, disconnected the line once, and told me to call back the second time "because we're too busy to answer questions at this time." This was within a couple of hours of regular checkin time. A few minutes later, I checked my email (I had checked in online) and found there was a message telling me it was ready so presumably all they needed to do was look it up. When I called about the bill (small detail) the operator told me the front desk staff were unavailable. Twice. The third time I got voicemail. For a hotel of this size, this is really unacceptable. The stay was unremarkable - a connector suite, not that nice. I've had diamond upgrades to the club floor that were just as good. Breakfast so-so. I have recommended this hotel on Flyertalk before, since it tends to have decent weekend rates and is in a good location. However, I'd now like to warn flyertalkers that if service is important to you, especially as a mid-week business tripper, you might want to look elsewhere. It goes without saying that 1W was not credited, despite being confirmed at checkin (but this is often the case, and easily corrected with an email to GP).
Old Oct 21, 2010, 4:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
I stayed for 3 nights over the past weekend and was not impressed with the rooms or the service. I had stayed here a few years ago and was never too impressed with the atrium facing rooms or the service, but they had a great price ($89) and I could use one of my suite upgrades. The "conference Suite" was pretty boring, it does offer extra space, but it was on the 1st floor and overlooked the front desk. We kept saying to each other "let's never again stay somewhere with a view of the front desk".
Check-in and check-out were totally incompetent, the front desk person could not find my reservation and suggested I was probably staying at another Hyatt. I had to produce a written confirmation and then he claimed I had 3 different rooms because of some goofy reservation problem with the suite upgrade. He wanted to charge me for Regency Club access as he insisted I was not listed as diamond tin their computer. I guess I wasn't listed as a diamond because the gym also wanted to charge me for access and I had to ask for the internet charges to be removed at check-out. The maid refused to clean the conference suite sitting area because the room # was not on her list. I had to drag the towels to her cart at the end of the hall and ask for new ones. I also had to remove all the room service dishes, she came running down the hall when she saw me doing this to tell me that she can't remove room service dishes and I should call them.
The breakfast in the RC was nice with really good fresh fruit, but the coffee machine was really slow. The morning RC personnel were nice and helpful but the nighttime people were very cranky. I asked for a perrier one evening and the attendant barked at me "just hold on, you'll get it". Evidently , another woman in the RC had already asked a few minutes prior and the attendant was not happy with me. The nightly snacks were not very good and we didn't spend much time in there at night.
Between the boring rooms and nasty service, next time in DC I'll either stay at the Park Hyatt or the Wardman Park Marriott.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 7:21 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Originally Posted by wilma
I stayed for 3 nights over the past weekend and was not impressed with the rooms or the service. I had stayed here a few years ago and was never too impressed with the atrium facing rooms or the service, but they had a great price ($89) and I could use one of my suite upgrades. The "conference Suite" was pretty boring, it does offer extra space, but it was on the 1st floor and overlooked the front desk. We kept saying to each other "let's never again stay somewhere with a view of the front desk".
Check-in and check-out were totally incompetent, the front desk person could not find my reservation and suggested I was probably staying at another Hyatt. I had to produce a written confirmation and then he claimed I had 3 different rooms because of some goofy reservation problem with the suite upgrade. He wanted to charge me for Regency Club access as he insisted I was not listed as diamond tin their computer. I guess I wasn't listed as a diamond because the gym also wanted to charge me for access and I had to ask for the internet charges to be removed at check-out. The maid refused to clean the conference suite sitting area because the room # was not on her list. I had to drag the towels to her cart at the end of the hall and ask for new ones. I also had to remove all the room service dishes, she came running down the hall when she saw me doing this to tell me that she can't remove room service dishes and I should call them.
The breakfast in the RC was nice with really good fresh fruit, but the coffee machine was really slow. The morning RC personnel were nice and helpful but the nighttime people were very cranky. I asked for a perrier one evening and the attendant barked at me "just hold on, you'll get it". Evidently , another woman in the RC had already asked a few minutes prior and the attendant was not happy with me. The nightly snacks were not very good and we didn't spend much time in there at night.
Between the boring rooms and nasty service, next time in DC I'll either stay at the Park Hyatt or the Wardman Park Marriott.

I'm sorry to hear of this experience. Could you please DM your details (confirmation number and name, or dates of stay). I would be happy to look into this.

Nick B.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.