Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency LAX REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Current Parking Prices (as of 8/4/2019) at QuikPark LAX; same shuttle as Hyatt.

Valet $55 per night
Self Park with In/Out $48 per night
Overnight Self Park $28 per night

https://www.quikparklosangelesairport.com/reservations/
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency LAX REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
This hotel is truly walk-able to T1 at LAX, call it 7 minutes depending on how long you wait at the stoplight -- from there I was able to catch a shuttle to the rental car lot

The hotel shuttle doesn't do the local ~3 mile radius that others do - it only goes back and forth from the airport

Breakfast was better than expected

The room/bathroom were a bit more ragged than expected. Similar to other reports

They had a lot of guests - priceline?

It was a bit slow to get checked in ... the HGP line wasn't monitored too well, when I was waiting in that line, the staff took the HGP sign away and put it out of sight, said I should be in the other line (behind 10 people) ... but I didn't move and they called an agent over to check me in next

I'll be back in a few weeks.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 4aks
This hotel is truly walk-able to T1 at LAX, call it 7 minutes depending on how long you wait at the stoplight -- from there I was able to catch a shuttle to the rental car lot

The hotel shuttle doesn't do the local ~3 mile radius that others do - it only goes back and forth from the airport

Breakfast was better than expected

The room/bathroom were a bit more ragged than expected. Similar to other reports

They had a lot of guests - priceline?

It was a bit slow to get checked in ... the HGP line wasn't monitored too well, when I was waiting in that line, the staff took the HGP sign away and put it out of sight, said I should be in the other line (behind 10 people) ... but I didn't move and they called an agent over to check me in next

I'll be back in a few weeks.
I had a similar issue recently at a longstanding large Hyatt Regency where the front desk supervisor apparently decided not to bother with a separate check in line for HGP elites. I waited for about a half hour and almost missed the evening snacks in the club lounge.

At that point, I looked at the T&C carefully. My understanding is that having the elite check in line is not an optional thing, at least for full service Hyatts. It's a published benefit with no apparent exceptions for when the hotel doesn't feel like honoring this.

Complain.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:15 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
There have been comments about the Concourse's Diamond breakfast being good, or better than expected. Could you provide a few details? Example -- is it cold continental or are there hot options? What items are offered? Do they allow a full breakfast in the dining room or is it only in the lounge?

Thanks in advance. I'll be staying there on a layover next month & I'm always hungry.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, LY Top-Platinum, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, IHGR Platinum Amb
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
There have been comments about the Concourse's Diamond breakfast being good, or better than expected. Could you provide a few details? Example -- is it cold continental or are there hot options? What items are offered? Do they allow a full breakfast in the dining room or is it only in the lounge?

Thanks in advance. I'll be staying there on a layover next month & I'm always hungry.
Checked out this morning.

Same exact experience as others have mentioned: upgrade to Junior Suite (which is in fact two rooms connected), breakfast in the restaurant, 1000 points AND welcome amenity (nice selection). I found the room to be dated, indeed, but in a fair condition - keeping in mind this is a ~150$/night airport hotel.

About breakfast,

You simply go to the restaurant and charge the breakfast to the room. Buffet had a few hot offerings to chose from, as well as many cold ones. Service was just excellent - and this is of course regardless of any status you may have.

The breakfast bill was ~22$ and it was completely removed from the room bill.

All in - I would love to stay at this hotel again! ^
Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingOutTLV
Checked out this morning.

Same exact experience as others have mentioned: upgrade to Junior Suite (which is in fact two rooms connected), breakfast in the restaurant, 1000 points AND welcome amenity (nice selection). I found the room to be dated, indeed, but in a fair condition - keeping in mind this is a ~150$/night airport hotel.

About breakfast,

You simply go to the restaurant and charge the breakfast to the room. Buffet had a few hot offerings to chose from, as well as many cold ones. Service was just excellent - and this is of course regardless of any status you may have.

The breakfast bill was ~22$ and it was completely removed from the room bill.

All in - I would love to stay at this hotel again! ^
Thank you. Is it just a breakfast buffet in the restaurant with a couple of warm options or is it possible to order a la carte?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC there was a small menu of hot items that were prepared to order and served to you, but you were expected to get the cold items and most basics for yourself from the buffet. Again, IIRC coffee/tea and juice were served to you. There was a bigger variety of cold stuff than what is found in lounge breakfasts and the breakfast food generally gave the impression of being expensive and of reasonably high qualify. I vaguely remember cut melon, several kinds of good berries, reasonably nice pastries (but not Paris luxury hotel standard), smoked salmon (but I'm not sure about this), etc.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:10 am

Thank you. Is it just a breakfast buffet in the restaurant with a couple of warm options or is it possible to order a la carte?
During my stay - quite a while ago now - you could at least order off the menu between 5:00AM (when the restaurant opened) and 6:00AM (when the buffet was started).
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC there was a small menu of hot items that were prepared to order and served to you, but you were expected to get the cold items and most basics for yourself from the buffet ... There was a bigger variety of cold stuff than what is found in lounge breakfasts and the breakfast food generally gave the impression of being expensive and of reasonably high qualify.
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
During my stay - quite a while ago now - you could at least order off the menu between 5:00AM (when the restaurant opened) and 6:00AM (when the buffet was started).
Thanks for your responses, MSPeconomist and 365RoadWarrior. My flight arrives late at night and my departure from LAX isn't until mid-afternoon the next day, so I'll probably have a relatively late breakfast. I hope I'm still able to get hot items off the menu at that time -- this lady likes her eggs cooked to order, and isn't fond of the watery buffet eggs so often found in the US Hyatt lounges.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
A mid-afternoon departure could also support a quick walk to In n Out Burger just 10 minutes away from the hotel...^
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:07 am

Thanks for your responses, MSPeconomist and 365RoadWarrior. My flight arrives late at night and my departure from LAX isn't until mid-afternoon the next day, so I'll probably have a relatively late breakfast. I hope I'm still able to get hot items off the menu at that time -- this lady likes her eggs cooked to order, and isn't fond of the watery buffet eggs so often found in the US Hyatt lounges.
If you arrive late, there's a case to the left of the bar that sells some good-looking salads and similar things until very late at night and again starting sometime the next morning. It looks like you can either eat in the bar/lobby (the bar might also have bar food and appetizers to order pretty late) or in your room. With the welcome amenity, you could have a nice meal this way even if you arrive pretty late. [I don't remember anything about their room service, but I assume the hotel has it at least during the hours that the restaurant is open and maybe 24/7 since it's an airport hotel.]

ADDED: I'm not sure you can order simple scrambled eggs from the little menu or do a special order for anything that's on the buffet, so you might have to compromise on something like eggs benedict. I didn't order any food from the menu because I only had time to grab something fast from the buffet--I hadn't expected the choices to be so good.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you arrive late, there's a case to the left of the bar that sells some good-looking salads and similar things until very late at night and again starting sometime the next morning. It looks like you can either eat in the bar/lobby (the bar might also have bar food and appetizers to order pretty late) or in your room. With the welcome amenity, you could have a nice meal this way even if you arrive pretty late. [I don't remember anything about their room service, but I assume the hotel has it at least during the hours that the restaurant is open and maybe 24/7 since it's an airport hotel.]

ADDED: I'm not sure you can order simple scrambled eggs from the little menu or do a special order for anything that's on the buffet, so you might have to compromise on something like eggs benedict. I didn't order any food from the menu because I only had time to grab something fast from the buffet--I hadn't expected the choices to be so good.
Thanks for the additional tips. I do love breakfast but prefer my eggs over medium and cooked to order (with bacon!) so I do hope ordering off of the menu is available that morning.

I'll be flying out on EK in F, so I don't think I'll be looking for much after a late breakfast. My plan is to snack a bit in the lounge then save room for Dom and caviar on my flight.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Last visit I ordered eggs as well as the buffet and there were no extra charges.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
No Park & Fly programs

I called the hotel last night asked if they had any park & fly programs and the answer was no.

I booked anyway for a night next week because of an AM departure, so I will check again at the desk to see if they have any plans for this.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by 1kBill
I called the hotel last night asked if they had any park & fly programs and the answer was no.

I booked anyway for a night next week because of an AM departure, so I will check again at the desk to see if they have any plans for this.
The parking lot next to the hotel is fairly cheap, afaik - they share shuttle buses (and ownership groups?)

I stayed last weekend - I returned my rental car after checking in, and was happy to find that National Car rental offered a direct ride to the hotel from the rental lot

Hotel did ok, they put me in the suite on the 12th floor, had a teen party going on Sunday night in the Penthouse directly above me, was noisy, but was ok by me ... they offered both a check in amenity and points, but never delivered the amenity. They did give me the 1500 retro points, so I guess they are trying, just don't have it sorted out. Breakfast buffet was great.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:40 pm

I had a stay here this past weekend with a fairly cheap MER.
The website claimed they run shuttle bus once every 10 mins. However, I waited for about 15 mins for it. But once the shuttle arrives, it was a super quick ride to the hotel. They stopped at the parking lot first to drop off customers of the parking lot and then drove 10 seconds to the back entrance of the hotel. Next time, I will just get off at the parking lot and walk my way to the hotel.
Upon check in, I was offered both the points and the welcome amenity. The front desk mentioned that they will continue to offer both points and amenity to Diamond members until they are fully converted into a Hyatt. (For those curious, the bonus code on my folio is empty, but the 1,000 points posted correctly to my account.)
The front desk mentioned that they have upgraded me to a deluxe king room. However, upon entering the room, there is just nothing makes it "deluxe". In fact, the only difference between deluxe and standard on their website is "grant views of the airport light tower" vs "grant views of the airport ". Also I failed to find the light tower from my windows I only get to see the empty pool, another building, part of LAX terminal 1 filled with Southwest planes and the end of runway 24L. I hate this kind of faux upgrade. It just sets up unnecessary high expectation that leads to disappointment later on.
Like everyone said, this place needs a renovation. The room itself is spacious but the restroom is tight and small. They have double layered windows to minimize the noise from the runway. I can not hear much noise during any landings but some noise from the engines at full throttle for take off are fairly loud. This can be a problem for those sensitive to noise. Luckily, there was very little numbers of take offs on 24L and 24R during my stay.
Every thing else in the room are nothing to write about. All the amenities in the room are still from the Radisson era as they are not what you find in Hyatt nor high quality by any standard. There is one bottled water on the mini fridge without any price tag. I assumed it is free but did not consume it.
The wifi is free for everyone and does not require any sign-in. The wifi speed is ok (actually better than average based on my experience this year).
The welcome amenity was delivered 2 hours after I checked in. I choose sparkling water and fruit plate, but was given still water and fruit plate. It was late and I did not asked for replacement as I was not in the mood for another 2 hours wait.
The breakfast buffet is what you can find in many hotel lounge/restaurant. It is ok but nothing fancy. There is no lox but cooked salmon. The coffee is terrible. There was only one server and the service is also nothing special.
During the checkout, I asked if I can pay with hyatt gift card, the answer was no. I put the charge on CSP and the charge posted as "the concourse hotel LAX". I am not sure if you can get 3X points here if paid with hyatt CC or the 5% OPEN saving with Amex biz cards.
Overall, it is neither a bad nor a good stay. However, given the cheap MER rate I got, it is actually a very good value. It is also very convenient if you are gonna get in or out of LAX.

Last edited by wanymayold; Nov 19, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.