Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency LAX REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Current Parking Prices (as of 8/4/2019) at QuikPark LAX; same shuttle as Hyatt.

Valet $55 per night
Self Park with In/Out $48 per night
Overnight Self Park $28 per night

https://www.quikparklosangelesairport.com/reservations/
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency LAX REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, IC Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, UA 1K
My first stay at this hotel. At check-in, my Diamond number wasn't included in the rsvn because my employer direct booked this stay for me. The front desk agent didn't offer me any amenities (points or otherwise), nor any information about Diamond benefits. When I asked about Diamond benefits, she said that normally Diamonds get free breakfast, but since my stay was booked through a third-party, I wouldn't be eligible for those benefits. She then stopped herself and said that she'd better double-check and called someone. After checking, she apologized and explained that my breakfast is on the house and told me that all I have to do is sign the breakfast charges to my room and they would be taken off automatically.

I didn't ask about the points amenity, and may talk to someone at front desk about that tomorrow.

The room is dated and worn. The sleep number bed (obviously a holdover from the Radisson days) is a nice touch, but I can't seem to get the mattress softer than 90. The TV is an LCD, which in today's terms might as well be a CRT. The bathtub is cracked and large sheets of the top layer of ceramic have completely chipped off. It's beginning to look like some kind of white/off-white camouflage pattern. The bath products are Gilchrist and Soames (which was impressive in 1986) and no shower gel (which for some reason I always find disappointing).

On this trip, I've stayed at the Park Hyatt Seoul, the Grand Hyatt Seoul, the Hyatt Regency Incheon, the Hyatt Regency Santa Clara, the Grand Hyatt San Francisco, the Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport and now the Concourse Hotel. Perhaps if I had done that list backwards, I'd be much happier. I can't even call this hotel a Hyatt because it would be insulting to other Hyatts. Perhaps that's why Hyatt doesn't call this hotel a Hyatt.

Believe it or not, I'm actually restraining myself from being too negative or condemning of this hotel. I understand that transitions are not easy, and a lot of this hotel's operations staff is learning about Hyatt while they're working. But the rooms need lots of work. I wish you guys could see the pictures hanging on the wall. Wow.

Work prepaid the whole stay. So I'm stuck here for a week. Wish I could move over to the trusty Hyatt Century Plaza. I love hotel rooms with balconies. I may just do that for a couple days out of my own pocket to keep my own sanity.

If any of you have ever stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Seoul, you'll recognize that my corp rate of $155++ a night for that hotel is a bargain. The prepaid rate of $119 here at the Concourse is massively overvalued by comparison.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:34 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by GlobeFiend
My first stay at this hotel. At check-in, my Diamond number wasn't included in the rsvn because my employer direct booked this stay for me. The front desk agent didn't offer me any amenities (points or otherwise), nor any information about Diamond benefits. When I asked about Diamond benefits, she said that normally Diamonds get free breakfast, but since my stay was booked through a third-party, I wouldn't be eligible for those benefits. She then stopped herself and said that she'd better double-check and called someone. After checking, she apologized and explained that my breakfast is on the house and told me that all I have to do is sign the breakfast charges to my room and they would be taken off automatically.

I didn't ask about the points amenity, and may talk to someone at front desk about that tomorrow.

The room is dated and worn. The sleep number bed (obviously a holdover from the Radisson days) is a nice touch, but I can't seem to get the mattress softer than 90. The TV is an LCD, which in today's terms might as well be a CRT. The bathtub is cracked and large sheets of the top layer of ceramic have completely chipped off. It's beginning to look like some kind of white/off-white camouflage pattern. The bath products are Gilchrist and Soames (which was impressive in 1986) and no shower gel (which for some reason I always find disappointing).

On this trip, I've stayed at the Park Hyatt Seoul, the Grand Hyatt Seoul, the Hyatt Regency Incheon, the Hyatt Regency Santa Clara, the Grand Hyatt San Francisco, the Hyatt Regency San Francisco Airport and now the Concourse Hotel. Perhaps if I had done that list backwards, I'd be much happier. I can't even call this hotel a Hyatt because it would be insulting to other Hyatts. Perhaps that's why Hyatt doesn't call this hotel a Hyatt.

Believe it or not, I'm actually restraining myself from being too negative or condemning of this hotel. I understand that transitions are not easy, and a lot of this hotel's operations staff is learning about Hyatt while they're working. But the rooms need lots of work. I wish you guys could see the pictures hanging on the wall. Wow.

Work prepaid the whole stay. So I'm stuck here for a week. Wish I could move over to the trusty Hyatt Century Plaza. I love hotel rooms with balconies. I may just do that for a couple days out of my own pocket to keep my own sanity.

If any of you have ever stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Seoul, you'll recognize that my corp rate of $155++ a night for that hotel is a bargain. The prepaid rate of $119 here at the Concourse is massively overvalued by comparison.
The GH Seoul is amazing. I love the location of that hotel. Your rate is GREAT. I've average around KRW 275,000.

I'm accustomed to staying at hotels in Asia the Hyatts there are usually very very nice. Much better than the ones in the States.

For The Concourse Hotel, it is most certainly in need of a massive refurbishment. I feel like I've stepped back in a time machine.

If you're a plane spotter, it does offer some decent views of the north runway though.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, LY Top-Platinum, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, IHGR Platinum Amb
GobeFiend,

Thank you for an excellent-written and honest review. ^

As much as I enjoyed to read it, I'm disappointed to learn about the condition of the property as I have a one-night stay coming up at the end of the month. On different circumstances I would have changed my choice of hotel but it's just for a short night (landing at midnight) and I do need the stay credit with HGP.

At least I managed to book the stay through the app (AAA rate of 125$) so I'd get a decent amount of points out of it.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes, it needs work but not more so than some of the other LAX airportt hotels and this one has the advantages of being close to the terminals and having staff that seem to care and are enthusiastic about Hyatt.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyingOutTLV
GobeFiend,

Thank you for an excellent-written and honest review. ^

As much as I enjoyed to read it, I'm disappointed to learn about the condition of the property as I have a one-night stay coming up at the end of the month. On different circumstances I would have changed my choice of hotel but it's just for a short night (landing at midnight) and I do need the stay credit with HGP.

At least I managed to book the stay through the app (AAA rate of 125$) so I'd get a decent amount of points out of it.

Thanks again.
I wouldn't stress out about a one-night stay. I didn't mind the property at all when I stayed there for one night last month. It served it's purpose!
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:55 pm

The most horrible one night stay of my life! (That sums it up) They apparently gave me the "best" room and upgraded to a suite. The sofas torn apart, walls dirty, room smelled like puke, I complained and was told they are sold out. I was sick throughout the night. Horrible and disgusting. Hyatt needs to renovate this on a urgent basis to maintain its brand. I will never go back. House Keeping tells me I cannot use my laptop on TV that's it. Period!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Platinum, Packer Owner
I'd stay here again

I've been following this thread for a few weeks, given I had a one-night stay scheduled for this past Friday night. Here are a few comments:
--check-in was smooth, recognized as Diamond, and provided with BOTH the 1000 points and food/bev amenity
--upgraded to junior suite without asking
--as others have mentioned, rooms are desperately in need of updating
--bedding may have already been replaced, as I noticed that the comforter had "HYATT LAX" stitched in
--televisions were HD high quality, may have already been replaced
--dined at the bar during Happy Hour, good options for food and beverages
--had a quick breakfast buffet before departure, good quality
--"My Elite Rate" was $95.20
--stay points posted the next day, now waiting for the 1000 point mobile bonus

I'll be back.^

Last edited by NJTraveler; Oct 19, 2014 at 7:11 pm Reason: And the 1000 point mobile bonus just posted.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:28 pm

Stayed here for one night before an early morning departure out of LAX.

Checkin was bizarre. I walked up to the counter and asked if I could checkin. The agent ignored me and continued looking down at his computer. I wasn't sure how to respond and repeated if I could checkin, thinking he might be distracted. Still ignored. So for a few minutes I just stood there wondering what was going on. The agent finally looked up and asked how he could help.

Breakfast benefits were explained. Apparently up to four people, but I didn't get to try it.

Agent proactively offered that I'd been upgraded, but the room looked like any normal hotel room to me? My room faced the LAX sign, so maybe that's an upgraded view?

As mentioned before, the rooms need a lot of work. They look like something you would get at a $30/night motel.

Best part was there were no bath towels in the bathroom. Of course, I only noticed after I was done with the shower, and I had to use the tiny hand towels to dry myself.

Took the shuttle to the airport, which leaves from the back near the parking structure. Driver forgot to stop at Tom Bradley, which was fine as I just disembarked at the AA terminal and walked over.

Points posted ok, but the 1000 diamond amenity didn't post. I called Hyatt, and the first agent told me this isn't a real hyatt and doesn't hand out the diamond amenity points?

Anyway I hung up and tried another agent, who gave me the points with the 500 retroactive bonus.

Probably won't be back unless there really are no other options around.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Explorist, SPG gold
Worst

Stayed here for one night before taking the 7 AM flight out of LAX. Disgusting rooms, and bathroom. Paint peeling off, old old carpets. The only new thing in the room seemed to be the mattress. Toiliettries were Gilchrist and Soames which seemed really out of place. Expected to see the old Hyatt ginger brand at this location. Please tell me they will revamp the whole place soon.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:50 pm

A question for those who stayed recently - I stayed there when it was Radisson and early check in was given (it was about 1pm). It took a while to check in, the whole process seemed really drawn out.

Anyone had any experience with the new owners and how generous they are with early check in? Has anyone tried and how accomodating were they? Based on what I have read I might stay elsewhere this time and return if it is better once the transition to Hyatt is complete. But the early check in is a deal sealer for me.

Thanks!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:12 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by VHOEJ
A question for those who stayed recently - I stayed there when it was Radisson and early check in was given (it was about 1pm). It took a while to check in, the whole process seemed really drawn out.

Anyone had any experience with the new owners and how generous they are with early check in? Has anyone tried and how accomodating were they? Based on what I have read I might stay elsewhere this time and return if it is better once the transition to Hyatt is complete. But the early check in is a deal sealer for me.

Thanks!
I've done three hotel runs in the past three weeks. Each one being on a Saturday and checking out on Sunday. First time I tried to check in at 10 am. Room wasn't available until 1 PM. Second time I tried at noon. They had to call housekeeping to see if my room was ready. Waited 20 minutes. Did it this past Saturday. Went in around 2 PM. Room was available.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:56 pm

Thanks gemini - you gave me the answer I was after. Clearly they aren't too keen on the early check in so I might give them a miss this trip.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold,AA Platinum . Hyatt Diamond . SPG gold .
I have stayed here 4 times . Hotel is dated but clean . The breakfast is good . I'm usually alone so internet and clean works for me . On another note if you want a great view wonder upto the penthouse . Check out the bar which is not opened for business but should be . If you want the best view at the airport walk west down the hallway to the end open the door there but be sure to use the wire there to keep door from closing . Best time is sunset .
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Life Gold, Hyatt Dmd, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Decent for mattress run, but didn't get Amex OPEN credit

I stayed here a couple weeks ago and have another stay planned tonight. My experience was similar to NJTraveler but I'll share anyway.
--check-in was smooth, recognized as Diamond, and provided with BOTH the 1000 points and food/bev amenity (fruit and small wine delivered to room)
--upgraded to junior suite without asking
--as others have mentioned, rooms are desperately in need of updating. Sofa was not as bad as others have had, shower pressure was impressive, bathroom was clean, furniture was all worn. good wifi
--breakfast for 4 included (buffet or a la carte), so I invited friends over for breakfast before checkout - charges were taken off bill at check-out
--"My Elite Rate" was $95.20 I paid with Business SPG expecting the OPEN credit, but showed up as a Radisson charge! I'll need to use my Hyatt GC next time, which I bought at discount.
--stay points posted the next day, including Bonus
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Much better experience this stay

Back here again(needed a staycation) much better check in experience,upgraded to a suite and I am delighted to see the new bedding has been installed.

It seems that this hotel has replaced the Sheraton for Saturday night partying for the locals. LOTS of carrying on in the hallways and I had to call security(twice-once at 11 p.m. and again at 6 a.m.) about loud music/people in an adjacent room.Both times security was quick to respond.

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; Oct 26, 2014 at 8:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.