Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency LAX REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Current Parking Prices (as of 8/4/2019) at QuikPark LAX; same shuttle as Hyatt.

Valet $55 per night
Self Park with In/Out $48 per night
Overnight Self Park $28 per night

https://www.quikparklosangelesairport.com/reservations/
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency LAX REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: 2mm+ UAL | Lifetime Titanium Marriott | Globalist Hyatt | SpireElite IHG
This place has a LOT of renovation to do, given that they intend to rebrand this as a Hyatt Regency level property.

From the website (http://concoursehotellax.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html)
The Concourse Hotel at Los Angeles International Airport, the future Hyatt Regency at Los Angeles International Airport,
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:37 pm
SST

Booked a suite, got no upgrade or club floor. Bathroom was ridiculous--- flaking paint and circa 1970 Holiday Inn ambience, if any. The "suite" is essentially additional floor space. Nothing was added or special about this "large room".

I'm not convinced the new beds/bedding are anything special. Sheraton down the street is more comfortable.

The bar is ho-hum, an afterthought alcove of the lobby. Didn't bother with diamond breakfast--- it looked ho-hum too. This place has been in a time warp since the early 80s. Might try it again. At the right price--- and I won't book a suite, even for the $20 premium. If there's no comp upgrade, screw it--- either the Sheraton or Westin, if you have to stay AT LAX are better.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: Jose Cuervo Gold, Bud Light Platinum, Schwab 401K, VW Bug 2MM
Stayed this place twice. It needs a ton of work. The bathrooms remind me of motel 6.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:21 am

The hotel is subpar. But the breakfast Diamond amenity is a very nice treat. Here's the menu from 2-3 weeks ago:

Last edited by Viajero Millero; Feb 10, 2015 at 12:27 am
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Huh... some of these posts almost started to change my mind about this property, but as soon as I read "Motel 6," I'm done. Hyatt Place LAX/El Segundo for me.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:15 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I am subjecting myself to a stay here this week and will write a complete trip report
I expect some form of a disappointment till the full transformation takes place but expect a odor free reasonable envoirnment
Prepared for the worst and hoping for a satisfactory experience
Having just checked out of the Park Hyatt in Sydney I may go into a state of serious shock and withdrawal
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I am subjecting myself to a stay here this week and will write a complete trip report
...Having just checked out of the Park Hyatt in Sydney...
That's... just not fair.

But we (meaning, I) wait for your report with baited breath... just booked 2 rooms for a night in two weeks for a great deal - hoping it's not a mistake!

-AD
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I expect some form of a disappointment till the full transformation takes place but expect a odor free reasonable envoirnment
Prepared for the worst and hoping for a satisfactory experience
Having just checked out of the Park Hyatt in Sydney I may go into a state of serious shock and withdrawal
PH Sydney to LAX Concourse. Are you crazy?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:10 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

A Hyatt Global Ambassador Review (The Concourse)

I arrived into LAX this morning off of Cathay Pacific's 777 First Class from Hong Kong
The flight was very comfortable with very good service.
I left the stunning Park Hyatt in Sydney with a quick layover in Sky City Marriott at Hong Kong Airport
arguably one of the very best airport hotels in the world
I cleared customs at LAx in rapid minutes thanks to the brilliant Global Entry
Wow kudos to our government for getting that one right ^
When I think about the cluster it once was its truly a miracle in efficiency

The Concourse Experience
Hotel Shuttle Pick up

I walked to the airport shuttle pick up strip and was filled with my usual anxiety with the noise and traffic
and thought of a potential long wait for the Concourse shuttle bus
Imagine my delight when the first bus in was the shuttle from the Concourse ^
I was clearly delighted and was wondering if I won the lottery
The friendly female driver welcomed me and assisted me with my luggage
One of the best aspects here is that the shuttle is not shared so you go directly to the hotel

The shuttle lets guests off essentially at the back door
I was a bit confused at first but quickly found my way past the restaurant and to the front desk

Check In
I was impressed to see a VIP Diamond & Platinum line and immediately
got on the line while 2 or 3 agents slowwwwwwly checked guests in
Off course there was no one staffing the elite line
I thought certainly someone would look over and motion the few of elites over but no dice (sigh)
Ok back to the regular line.All agents were tunnel vision not looking left or right
Hopefully one day they man the elite line or actually wave a guest or two over
Minor strike no biggie
Agent at check in made no mention of my Diamond status and offered no amenity
I wasn't going to bring it up as I wanted to get in an unwind

In disclosing fully I contacted the hotel before arrival
I shared I was looking forward to my stay my only request is
Best available room or suite if agreeable and to have an odor free room
I knew the hotel history of being a faded aging 3 star with many warts and wrinkles
A pig with no lipstick
I also asked if the Grand bed had a true box spring not a platform
Management and housekeeping assured me individually they did
To the those not understanding that difference this means firm to very firm bed
Something that is troubling to me but may not be to others

The good news they checked me in very early.
The bad news the room had a massive odor of overused floral spray freshener
The promised box spring with coils had a platform no coils.Hence the harder than average Hyatt Grand bed
others here have shared lacked comfort
Yes the Sheraton down the block has more comfortable beds.Hyatt really needs to work a little harder on a great product otherwise
Called down and it took 40 or 50 rings to answer the phone
An ionizer helped reduce but not fully eliminate the problem
I can say the suite a parlor living room attached to a standard bed room
is highly satisfactory despite a dire need of a refresh and renovation

Advice to any in house guest
if you really dislike the condition of your room ask for a change the hotel is really committed to trying to build relationships
And if you come seeking Hyatt standards be aware that it's not going to happen but you can make it through alive
with some small bumps in the road.

Diamond Breakfast
Complimentary breakfast buffet normally 19 dollars.One can order off menu too
Service is polite and understaffed severly.No one seats guests and of the only two hard working indivduals only one ever hear of Hyatt let along what a Diamond breakfast is
Buffet consisted of ham cereal fruit blah pastry donuts cottage cheese and no salmon
My requesed soft scrambled eggs came out petrified and dry looking like a rubber sculpture
Oh well hopefully the renovation will include a good chef

What we know presently
The hotel has a massive undertakingto unfold.There will be guests that wont have patience to stay there and I understand that
Those early adopters willing to deal with the rough around edges should fare fine
The bathrooms will be improved and rest of the hotel should it go as planned should make the Hyatt LAX
one of the most sought after locations in town.I'd say we easily have a year to wait perhaps a bit more!

Assessment
Not as bad as I feared and not as good as it should get down the road!
Quality and behavior of guests should improve in time.Its not business professionals and upscale types presently/as of yet
The hotel has a number of down on your luck leisure travelers nervous about having enough credit line to pay for the room
Conclusions while other area hotel may be more prime time ready 119 dollars and down is a fairly good deal
for this property especially if upgraded to a suite
Yes there were some nasty large stains on the carpet and yes there may be some other hiccups
However for a one nighter in the best position for an airport stay with Gold Passport credit it may be fine for many even right now before the massive ongoing undertaking
Duane the bellman is a prince of a fellow and is the standout personality of the whole property seek him out
should you need luggage assitance.Class act
Valet parking was fast efficent and friendly enough at 30 dollars a day self parking at 25
I am told there are lower cost options behind and around the hotel

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 15, 2015 at 6:09 pm
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt, UA
I sayed here a few weeks ago on a weekday night, daughter had an early departure next day. Asked to use a DSU but Hyatt private line agent told ne DSU cant be used as its still transitioning to a Hyatt. Amenaty was offered but they are jsut soft drinks or h2o and cookies no wine or beer, so took points .
Was in room 1100 at very end of very lonf corridoe but room was very nice renovated beds were comfy
Breakfast starts at 5am for menu 6am for buffett so good for early departures. Menu for breakfast is good includes steak and eggs etc, and Japenese breakfast option, I had buffett it was good and a latte was provided when I asked.
Shuttle every 15 mins leaves from back by bar, bar was good in the evening $6 cocktails and $4 beer , $6 appetisers myself and daughter made dinner from 2 appetizers and cocktails! staff in bar were very nice .
For price I think its a nice hotel, parking at hotel is valet $30 a night , structure right at back of hotel $13.95 overnight
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SST
Booked a suite, got no upgrade or club floor. Bathroom was ridiculous--- flaking paint and circa 1970 Holiday Inn ambience, if any. The "suite" is essentially additional floor space. Nothing was added or special about this "large room".

I'm not convinced the new beds/bedding are anything special. Sheraton down the street is more comfortable.

The bar is ho-hum, an afterthought alcove of the lobby. Didn't bother with diamond breakfast--- it looked ho-hum too. This place has been in a time warp since the early 80s. Might try it again. At the right price--- and I won't book a suite, even for the $20 premium. If there's no comp upgrade, screw it--- either the Sheraton or Westin, if you have to stay AT LAX are better.
AFAIK there's no club floor or lounge.

The suite upgrade I was given was on a high floor with views toward the airport. It was the size of three or four regular rooms with two bathrooms, a separate bedroom with walls and a door, a dining area (IIRC with an oval table to seat six), a large living room area, an alcove with a nice big desk and half sze refrigerator.

As a welcome gift, I found a note and a variety of food goodies and some fancy bottled water. This was in addition to my welcome amenity points.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 2:56 pm
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive: Avis PC, Hertz PC
I had another quick stay at the Concourse last night. This was the first time I wasn't given a room on the top (12th) floor. Not sure why, and it didn't really matter. The only difference I noticed was no free water, and no newspaper in the morning. At check in, I was reminded of my Diamond benefits, etc as expected.

No suite upgrade this time as I often get, but I was only awake on property for maybe 2 hours total. The bed was new, and presumably at Hyatt standard. The rest of the room remained pretty tired.

This hotel still works well for my needs. A very convenient place before morning flights from LAX. The price is right, and it helps with my Hyatt requalification. Its not fancy, but I don't expect that in an airport hotel.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:26 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
For those that have stayed, are you able to comment on shopping in the area?

The website lists The Grove, LA Fashion District, Third Street Promenade and the Citadel Outlets, but does not provide an approximate distance for each.

With the exception of the Citadel Outlets, are the other three within walking distance off the hotel or, at worst, a $10 to $14 cab ride?

As for Citadel, what are the options for there? Is it too far in a cab? Is there a nearby bus service or would I better off hiring the nearest available rental car to get me there and back (assuming it's decent).

I'm principally after mid-range clothing (eg. American Eagle, J. Crew etc.) and will be arriving at 10pm on a Wednesday night and leaving at 4pm the following day which makes things admittedly tight, I know.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:27 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by danger

The website lists The Grove, LA Fashion District, Third Street Promenade and the Citadel Outlets, but does not provide an approximate distance for each.

With the exception of the Citadel Outlets, are the other three within walking distance off the hotel or, at worst, a $10 to $14 cab ride?

As for Citadel, what are the options for there? Is it too far in a cab? Is there a nearby bus service or would I better off hiring the nearest available rental car to get me there and back (assuming it's decent).

I'm principally after mid-range clothing (eg. American Eagle, J. Crew etc.) and will be arriving at 10pm on a Wednesday night and leaving at 4pm the following day which makes things admittedly tight, I know.
No shopping in the airport area. The Grove is probably 10 miles away. If possible, would suggest a rental car for your shopping excursions.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:26 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by danger

3rd street Promenade or Century City is your best bet. My suggestion is to call uber or hire a car. DON'T TAKE A TAXI IN LA. IT'S EXPENSIVE!. You'll save around half if you do it through uber.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.