Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency LAX REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Current Parking Prices (as of 8/4/2019) at QuikPark LAX; same shuttle as Hyatt.

Valet $55 per night
Self Park with In/Out $48 per night
Overnight Self Park $28 per night

https://www.quikparklosangelesairport.com/reservations/
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency LAX REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by wanymayold
I put the charge on CSP and the charge posted as "the concourse hotel LAX". I am not sure if you can get 3X points here if paid with hyatt CC or the 5% OPEN saving with Amex biz cards.
I have gotten the 3x points with the Chase Hyatt VISA each time I've stayed here.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
This is an odd hotel. We had a one-night stay on a Sunday night a few weeks ago. Shuttle pick-up was quick. Was a little confused as the shuttle was for an off-airport parking garage. It said LAX Concourse on the electronic banner on the front of the bus.

One person was in line ahead of me at check-in. It took two people 5 minutes to deal with him. It seems like he wanted to pay with cash or something. They upgraded us to a junior suite on the 12th floor. The front desk person said he believed it had a new bed.

The room was basically two rooms with the wall removed and the second bathroom taken out. The bed was new but nothing else. The bathroom was probably the smallest I have seen in a long time. Not sure what they are going to do with the bathroom in the renovation. It is usually difficult to expand the footprint of a bathroom.

We had connecting room doors on both sides. That often creates sound transmission problems. Sure enough I could hear a TV in one room and some guy coughing every 3-5 minutes in the other. By the time we went to bed, the adjoining rooms were fairly quiet.

We ate dinner at the bar and they had an interesting menu. However, the food preparation wasn't very good. It seemed promising but they fell short of expectations.

At 5am I could hear a bunch of people yelling in the hallways. It sounded like a bunch of party folks had just returned to the hotel. The noise wasn't that bad, since they were way down the hall near the elevators. I could also hear people up on the rooftop penthouse cheering and yelling. Almost sounded like they were watching a English soccer game. Not sure what to make of a place that has parties on Sunday night/Monday morning.

We didn't have breakfast as we had an early flight. I wonder how long the renovation will take. The LA downtown hotel renovation has taken forever. I guess I would stay again, but I would really have to think twice about it.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What is a MER rate?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: La Quinta Elite IHGSPIRE HH Diamond BW Diamond Hyatt Diamond
MER = My Elite Rate ELITRT. You're Diamond. You and Platinum get it. Not always available at all properties. 2015 still not sure if available.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
has anyone been able to get a very early checkin or buy room the night before and get late checkout. Im arriving at 7am and leaving at 8pm.
I think the only hotel that offers 24 hr is four points.
does anyone know of any other LAX hotel that offers this?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 6:12 pm

Has anyone successfully used Hyatt Gift Certificates or Gift Cards at this property?

FF
Old Nov 29, 2014, 7:56 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Fire_Fly
Has anyone successfully used Hyatt Gift Certificates or Gift Cards at this property?
FF
I believe I understood that that would not be possible until the conversion to Hyatt has been completed.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Without re-reading all the pages and not saying any of this has not been posted before. But to clarify a few points I was unclear on, or maybe I was the only one not clear on:

1. Shares a shuttle with Qwik Park, which is mostly purple and not the most frequent. But relatively short ride compared to the blue shared hotel shuttles. Is labeled for the hotel to a degree, but has great big yellow letters for the parking garage.

2. Not next to any concourse or on airport, but probably closest hotel to any concourse and the airport. Maybe two-ish blocks out past the end of Terminal 1 (Southwest) on the lower, not upper, level, at Century and Sepulvada. You could walk from end of Terminal 1 to there in daylight, but it is a long way around to other airlines. At night it would be a creepy walk past a parking lot.

3. It is worn but not trashed, but they don't call it a Hyatt yet either do they? Was not a bad value for what we paid, but compare current prices before you decide. Not like LAX is the lap of luxury hotels anyway.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by jayer
Without re-reading all the pages and not saying any of this has not been posted before. But to clarify a few points I was unclear on, or maybe I was the only one not clear on:

1. Shares a shuttle with Qwik Park, which is mostly purple and not the most frequent. But relatively short ride compared to the blue shared hotel shuttles. Is labeled for the hotel to a degree, but has great big yellow letters for the parking garage.

2. Not next to any concourse or on airport, but probably closest hotel to any concourse and the airport. Maybe two-ish blocks out past the end of Terminal 1 (Southwest) on the lower, not upper, level, at Century and Sepulvada. You could walk from end of Terminal 1 to there in daylight, but it is a long way around to other airlines. At night it would be a creepy walk past a parking lot.

3. It is worn but not trashed, but they don't call it a Hyatt yet either do they? Was not a bad value for what we paid, but compare current prices before you decide. Not like LAX is the lap of luxury hotels anyway.
I stayed there at the end of November prior to an international flight. My plan is to write up a full review, but for now I can address a couple of your questions/comments.

1) The lavender/purple Quik-Park shuttles do run quite frequently, about every 15 minutes. I've stayed at several other LAX area hotels (the Westin, Hilton, etc) and the Concourse shuttle was by far the quickest one to arrive for curbside pick up.

It also was the most reliable for a very quick departure back to LAX. I've had to wait as long as 45-freaking-minutes for a shuttle from the Westin, but only moments for the Concourse shuttle.

2) I cannot comment on walking the route.

3) The public areas of the hotel are quite nice, if slightly dated in decor, but rooms are in dire need of refurbishment. The first room I was given was run down but I asked to be moved because the air conditioning wasn't working properly -- it made a horrendous noise and didn't put out cool air.

Staff graciously re-assigned me to another, upgraded room where the air was cool, the bed was super comfortable and the bathroom adequate for my needs during a one night stay.

The complimentary Diamond breakfast in the restaurant was an expansive spread with at least 8 different hot offerings in addition to a full selection of smoked fish, cold cuts, cheeses, cereals and yogurt, and a wide variety of pastries. Staff were attentive and at no point did my coffee cup or juice glass get anywhere near empty before someone graciously refilled it.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

At a MER rate, this hotel was a great value for a short, pre-flight stay.

Does it need a refurb? That's a resounding "Yes" -- The 1970s called, and they want their hotel rooms back.

Are the staff doing their best to make guests comfortable? Another resounding "Yes" in my opinion. They seem to be trying to make up for what they know the hotel's hard-product is currently lacking.

Would I stay here again? Yes, for a short pre-flight stay.

The positives (helpful staff, fast shuttle, comfy beds, ability to accrue Hyatt points & night credits, great breakfast spread, etc) seem to far outweigh the negatives (dated decor, rattling ventilation system, small bathrooms, etc).
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Stayed here twice this past week, once booked through hyatt.com, once through Hotel Tonight.

Good:
Friendly staff
Upgraded to huge suite (I think a true suite as it had two bathrooms).
Nice view of the airport with decent soundproofing to the outside
More than sufficient breakfast
Location - closest hotel to the airport

Negatives:
Noise between rooms - walls aren't very well insulated, you could here a lot of noise within the hotel, and I was woken up at 3am when my neighbors started, ahem, rocking the bed.
Regular room size: Second stay we had a regular room and it was quite small.
Diamond amenity: I think someone noted they offer both points and amenity, however both times I checked in it was either/or. The lists of F/B amenities is pretty crappy in case you're someone who tends to choose that over the points.
Parking - Hotel website shows a $30 valet option and $20 self park. Checked in, then went to take a look for street parking in the area, but everything we found was no overnight parking. So we decide to do the self park, but its full so you have to valet. The valet says its only $25 because self park is full. I know it's only $5 but I find this irritating, particularly since the hotel offered a rate that included parking that was $20 more than my rate. So I go to the front desk and ask if I can be charged the $20 since they don't have self parking available. First I get the run around about how the parking is run by another company so they have no control. So I ask what happens if I book the parking rate and there is no self-parking? Oh then I get the valet free. OK fine, so switch me to that rate. Nope too late (it was all ironic because I had literally booked the hotel upon landing at LAX). Anyway a manager finally comes and takes care of it and tells me its $20 (only to find at checkout that this wasn't noted on my room properly).
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Has Hyatt started any renovation of the rooms yet or any indication as to when the renovation will be complete?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Fire_Fly

FF
Originally Posted by slocouple
I believe I understood that that would not be possible until the conversion to Hyatt has been completed.
Anybody knows if this continues to be the case?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
Anybody knows if this continues to be the case?
I just checked out this morning and was not able to use a Hyatt gift card; they told me that they wouldn't be able to accept them until the conversion to Hyatt was fully complete.

While I'm here, here is a quick review:

Check-in
I booked the reservation day of arrival for $90 on the AAA rate. I walked here from Terminal 7, which was a little bit weird at night but I made it in probably 6-7 minutes. Check-in was friendly and quick and I was assigned a "deluxe" King on the top floor. Apparently many of the one bedroom suites were damaged during the recent storms and thus many are not currently available for upgrade while they are repaired.

Room
I was a little nervous about two things - the room quality and the noise. The last time I was at LAX I stayed at the Hilton and barely slept. At this property, the double windows really are effective and I barely heard plane noise - I watched a QF 747 land right out the window and barely heard a thing. I'm pretty sensitive and wasn't bothered at all by noise overnight.. I did hear a faint rumbling from time to time but it was not an issue.

Regarding the room quality, it certainly isn't fancy but it's just fine. A few things are dinged up here and there but the room was clean and comfortable and I had no complaints.

Breakfast
The breakfast buffet I thought was just above average for an airport hotel. Eggs, bacon/sausage, pancakes, fruits, pastries, and a couple of nice salsas to go with the eggs.

Location / Transportation
The front desk indicated that the shuttle runs around every 15 minutes but not on a fixed schedule. The shuttle is purple and is shared with a parking lot; the hotel's name is relatively small but the purple van is easy to see. I didn't take the shuttle at all as I walked back to the airport. Terminal 1 is around a 5 minute walk, and to TBIT/Terminal 4 area is more like 12-15.

Summary
This hotel was leagues better than the Hilton and I plan to return.. for $90, it was a great value.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Can you stay here on points, or points and cash? I'm not seeing points as an option for the weekday I'd be staying near LAX, even though standard rooms are available. However, this should be a Cat 1, not Cat 3 (the excellent SFO Hyatt is a Cat 2).
Old Jan 10, 2015, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Just stayed here again the past week, was upgraded to suite without asking. I'm consistently impressed with the rates here, consistently cheaper than the nearby Hyatt House and Place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.