Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency San Francisco - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency San Francisco - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2008, 4:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Thumbs down Unhappy stay [long]

I have stayed at SF Hyatts for 20 years- the GH then the PH and back to the GH. I tried the HR before but hated the RC. So after reading about the new RC,I decided to try it again- a big mistake. I was using a GP suite upgrade, and called the morning of checkin and was told , understandably - that my suite wasn't ready. However, when I arrived I was told my reservation was canceled- no one knew how. It was reinstated, but at an incorrect rate. When I produced a copy of my reservation, the Front Desk Manager fixed it, and actually lowered the rate a little.
My suite was not on the RC level, but after protesting, I was given privileges. The problem is that only 2 of the 5 elevators go to the RC. So I had to keep calling elevators until a useful one arrived. If the wrong elevator arrived and didn't continue up, I could not call another elevator, so I had to go down to the Lobby level to call the correct elevators.
My biggest complaint was the inadequate, and inadequately trained, staff in the RC. There is a RC promotion so the club is always crowded. Their policy is to check room numbers before allowing entry even with the required card access. So one evening at 5pm, there was a long line to get in the club. However, the "Concierge" was explaining to a guest why he could not get tickets for something. In the meantime he would not allow anyone in until he checked their room. And he would not check the room until he was finished talking to the guest. Only when I called the Manager on Duty was another Concierge sent up.
There were minor problems as well- a request for housekeeping took 2 hours. The pre-arrival email offered newspaper choices, but a response requesting the NY Times went unanswered, so I requested it from the Front Desk. Unsurprisingly, I never received it.
The RC has better food, more newspapers and 2 free computers compared to the GH. But I will not return. The GH is much better at Customer Service.

Followup- After sending an email of complaint, I received an apology including comping one of the nights of this stay. If I try again,and I may because of the email, I will repost

Last edited by mmgm; Aug 11, 2008 at 7:37 pm Reason: Update
Old Sep 16, 2008, 3:32 pm

Programs: Marriott LT-TE, United Gold
Quick suggestion, don't ever stay in room 241 (or, I assume, any of the X41 rooms) as it is stuck in the corner next to the large suites (the X40s) and is basically just an additional room that can be reserved with the suite to make it a two bedroom. Otherwise it's the worst room I've stayed in on the property. Reminds me of being in a motel 6 but with 10x more road noise and a TV that barely works. Hopefully they take my constructive criticism seriously and do something about that room, can't wait to get into my new room tonight :lol:
Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:01 pm
Original Member

Thumbs up Latest visit much improved

I stayed again this past weekend. The RC was much less crowded. The checkin was perfect- I was greeted by the Front Desk Manager. I received my requested newspaper. Housekeeping was no problem. In summary, my stay was delightful. And the goodies at the RC remain outstanding. So I will definitely return.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 5:51 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Stayed there a couple of weekend's ago and it was a good hotel. We booked an Embarcadero room and had a great view of the Bay Bridge and the Ferry Building.

Next time I think I will book the Regency Club to see how it is....
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:14 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Great Job, Hyatt!

Had a fine stay there in late August, with RC access. Requested Diamond upgrade to RC balcony room, facing north. Originally assigned around room 1530, too far from the Bay with an ugly blank wall (part of hotel) just a few rooms to the left. Changed to excellent room 1620 right out near the Bay, with excellent spacious balcony facing north along the waterfront and across to Angel Island and the North Bay (hotel has 17 floors, floors 16 and 17 avoid upper floor overhang in the north corridor, standard rooms xx17 and below face Market Street while xx18 to around xx36 or so face north, and starting with 1719, 1620, 1521 etc. there are balconies). Nice refreshed room decor, typical Hyatt Asian accents.

360-degree RC views, ambiance, spaciousness and food (it works for a light dinner). Two computer terminals with large screens. Two massage chairs that vibrate 20 ways, easily equivalent to those in Japan. Spectacular Bay, bridge, waterfront, and Market Street vistas from this former revolving restaurant that's now an RC. Almost certainly the best club views in the City (unless there's something high in the Mandarin Oriental).

The atrium level restaurant is under reconstruction at the moment.

Last edited by Explore; Oct 1, 2008 at 11:22 pm
Old Oct 3, 2008, 5:56 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Just checked in today for a 1 night stay (MR). No suit upgrade, decent king room facing the atrium. Oh, first time that I had a decent sized boxed tube of toothpaste available as part of the toiletries. Nice touch. Currently in the very spacious Club. Waiting for the food spread at 5PM. 1 computer, with multiple DSL lines available at each table. Very attentive staff.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 12:04 pm

Recent experience at HR Embarcadero and GH SF

I stayed at the both hotels (HR Embarcadero and Grand Hyatt) on the weekend (FFN run).

1. HR Embarcadero
* Room: Upgraded to a RC floor (15F) with the nice bay view + balcony. There was a flat screen TV.
* RC Lounge: The perfect view of Bay Bridge and the very nice setting! The concierges were very friendly yet professional. Since there were dedicated service attendants to replenish food + clean tables, these concierge can actually focus on the real concierge work (like restaurant recommendations/making reservations, other travel assistance, etc.) The evening spread was really good - soup, shrimp salad, cooked salmon, cheese, grilled veggie, cold cuts, etc...you could actually make dinner out of it. They also had decent wine selections (honor bar: $4 for wine/beer).

2. GH
* Room: Upgraded to an Executive Suite without asking. ^
* GC Lounge: Much smaller than Embarcadero, but super friendly club concierges - in fact, they remembered me from the last visit. The evening spread was okay (nothing special) - figs + mascarpone cheese wraps, grilled veggies, and cheese. They also had decent wine selections (honor bar: $4 for wine/beer, $6 for sparkling wine).

Overall, I liked both hotels although both rooms (especially bathroom could use renovation). This was my first time to stay at HR Embarcadero. I would choose GH for the location, but HR Embarcadero for the RC lounge...

If I know how to paste photos here, I would...

Last edited by FlyMan; Oct 13, 2008 at 12:27 pm
Old Dec 10, 2008, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Spent Sunday night at the HR. Given room 1514 on the Regency Club floors. Had a great view of the bay and Bay Bridge, if we stood at the window and looked a bit left. Straight out view was of offices in the Southern Pacific Building across the street. The room was good sized with a comfortable king bed. The rooms facing Market Street (as this one did) can get quite a bit of street noise from panhandler musicians and the streetcars. Someone suggested the rooms on the RC floors had been remodeled. Although the furnishings were updated, there was no other evidence (e.g. bathroom) of remodeling.

The RC is huge and everyone has a window table, although some windows face only other buildings. There was no concierge; perhaps staffed only on weekdays. There were some friendly servers, however. No hot offerings, but what was there was tasty. Breakfast in the RC was the typical fare- cereals, yougerts, breads and bagels, croissants, and raspberry pastries. There were never more than maybe 10 people in the place on either Sunday evening or Monday morning.

A very nice stay overall. Front desk staff very friendly and efficient. The atrium was decked out for Christmas. I like the GH better for location and a more scenic view (from upper floors), but the room size at the HR was better.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 3:21 pm
Original Member

No hot offerings? In the summer, they had really good hot offerings. They also had Concierges guarding the entrance. Are both gone?
Old Dec 12, 2008, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by mmgm
No hot offerings? In the summer, they had really good hot offerings. They also had Concierges guarding the entrance. Are both gone?
Again, keep in mind I was there on a weekend. Perhaps things are different on weekdays.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 10:10 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Question

Any non-Diamonds stayed lately and, if so, did the front desk offer an upgrade to RC for some additional $$? I know they used to do this in past years. Then my next question--which I could call & ask direct I suppose--but will RC be open Christmas week? Thanks, I'm pondering the idea of 2 more frivolous stays before 12/30 (i.e., will stay the night to have a nice holiday getaway, so HP Fremont is not an option).
Old Dec 26, 2008, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Again, keep in mind I was there on a weekend. Perhaps things are different on weekdays.

Into the fall, the concierge desk was staffed 7 days a week, and there was copious hot food in the evenings - the night we were there, they had tasty make-it-yourself tacos. I fear we are seeing the economic downturn in action.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:48 am

Programs: Conti Plat/1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Hyatt Regency SF - Regency Club/General comments on stay

Just stayed at the property for 3 days. When I checked-in the front desk told me that the RC was closed until January 11th due to weak occupancy levels at the property. A hotel operator told me the same thing as well.

This is my second stay at the property over the last few months. I think it will be my last; I'm headed back to the Starwood properties (Le Meridian, Westin Market Street, W):

1. When I checked-in the safe in my room was locked. I called downstairs and someone came upstairs to unlock the safe. He told me that it's been happening a lot lately. He said he thinks it's the housekeepers doing it because they want to make the maintenance guys do extra work.

2. The security latch on the "balcony" doors does not work. They didn't care to fix it.

3. Just looked at my cc bill. They charged me an additional ~$15. I called accounting and they said that it was a mini bar charge. I did not partake form the mini bar and they removed it. Could it be the housekeepers doing more of their tricks? Something weird is going on at the property.

4. Low quality (towels, bedding)

5. RC being closed - breakfast is much more enjoyable in the peaceful room upstairs than the loud/messy Eclipse restaurant in the atrium.

I don't complain too often, and overall the property is fine but it was just a few too many pains in my butt. I prefer a hotel stay where I have minimal contact with the staff post check-in. These exceptions are too much of a nuisance.

-From a Hyatt Diamond/SPG Plat
Old Jan 18, 2009, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
This hotel is a dump, along with the GH San Fran. Not sure why people stay at this hotel. Last time I was there the RC was in the hallway by the elevator.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 4:28 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Suite Upgrade Worth the Points?

Dear insiders of the Hyatt Regency SF,

I plan to stay there April 14th-18th with my son. Found quite reasonable rates for a standard room and think about upgrading that with points either to a Regency Club room or a Suite. How are the suites? Is it worth the points? I assume suites allow Regency Club access as well, don't they?

Thank you very much. Thank you for organizing your forum so well!!

Have safe travels

Primenumber

P.S.: Slightly off-topic: Any good tips for activities with a 15 year-old in SF?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.