Old Aug 9, 08, 5:16 pm
mmgm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM
Thumbs down Unhappy stay [long]

I have stayed at SF Hyatts for 20 years- the GH then the PH and back to the GH. I tried the HR before but hated the RC. So after reading about the new RC,I decided to try it again- a big mistake. I was using a GP suite upgrade, and called the morning of checkin and was told , understandably - that my suite wasn't ready. However, when I arrived I was told my reservation was canceled- no one knew how. It was reinstated, but at an incorrect rate. When I produced a copy of my reservation, the Front Desk Manager fixed it, and actually lowered the rate a little.
My suite was not on the RC level, but after protesting, I was given privileges. The problem is that only 2 of the 5 elevators go to the RC. So I had to keep calling elevators until a useful one arrived. If the wrong elevator arrived and didn't continue up, I could not call another elevator, so I had to go down to the Lobby level to call the correct elevators.
My biggest complaint was the inadequate, and inadequately trained, staff in the RC. There is a RC promotion so the club is always crowded. Their policy is to check room numbers before allowing entry even with the required card access. So one evening at 5pm, there was a long line to get in the club. However, the "Concierge" was explaining to a guest why he could not get tickets for something. In the meantime he would not allow anyone in until he checked their room. And he would not check the room until he was finished talking to the guest. Only when I called the Manager on Duty was another Concierge sent up.
There were minor problems as well- a request for housekeeping took 2 hours. The pre-arrival email offered newspaper choices, but a response requesting the NY Times went unanswered, so I requested it from the Front Desk. Unsurprisingly, I never received it.
The RC has better food, more newspapers and 2 free computers compared to the GH. But I will not return. The GH is much better at Customer Service.

Followup- After sending an email of complaint, I received an apology including comping one of the nights of this stay. If I try again,and I may because of the email, I will repost

Last edited by mmgm; Aug 11, 08 at 8:37 pm Reason: Update