One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Silver
It's fair to say the whole 'is Ben for real' has been done ad nauseam elsewhere on FT. fwiw I find his blog content entertaining and escapist and don't give a monkeys how it is funded. Nor is it particularly relevant to his take on service received on BA (aside from the fact that he has a lot of other reference points...)
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Ziz
His job seems to be travelling. He 'lives in hotels' and seems to travel constantly. I'm not entirely sure what the nature of his business is but it is something to do with frequent flyer programs, travel, etc.
He has a very popular travel blog for travel using points and miles, and writes reviews on the products he travels on ... If you type "X Airline First Class Review" into Google his blog is almost always on the first few results .... which increases traffic further.

For those of you that aren't US based, Credit Card points/miles offers out here are highly lucrative. On an average year I can get 500-700k points off of sign up offers alone. Normally you can cancel, reapply and get the bonus again after 1-2 years.

Credit card-companies pay bloggers like this handsomely for referrals (anywhere from $100-200 per sign up). His blog gets millions of hits, and even if he gets only a few-thousand CC sign-ups, it's a huge huge moneymaker. If any of you follow another popular points blogger, the "the-points-guy", he lives very handsomely and frequently takes private jets, helicopters, and recently shelled out $30k for "The Residence" between New York and Abu Dhabi.

To be fair to One-Mile-At-A-Time, he's very honest and open about how he pays for his travel, and will push the best CC offer even if he doesn't get a referral bonus from it. Tons of trolls frequent the comment section however.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Sad. How does he feed his family?
Same as all the frequent travel bloggers - pushing credit cards over and over again, via links that earn them commission. They also talk about hotel and airline promotions, with 'click here' links to register for the promos - and these secretly take you via a third party site that gives a kick-back of future sales to the blogger.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
FWIW, I find the review totally believable. BA is inconsistent and has always been so, although I do also get the feeling standards continue to fall. The report was well written and not an emotional rant.

Both the best and worst crews I have ever had on any airline have been BA crews, it's that variable.

The newer J crews often do not know the product. I never ask them about the wines any more, since the chances they'll know anything are remote. They bring me my food and drink and when they forget me I push the call button. If I feel they're impolite, I tell them so, and if they don't like it I tell the senior crew member. I do always try to remember that it's public transport at the end of the day.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Executive, Virgin FC
I'm not a frequent traveller but twice coming back from IAD in Club have had a terribly unfriendly, unprofessional and unhelpful and noisy crew.

The last one on the 380 was the worst. Started off by the greeter standing at the door with a coffee, then having a long and loud chat with one of the other crew about whether or not he should go sick or not. Then they knowingly handed out the wrong menus. Looked at me oddly when I said I didn't want a main course (already eaten well in the lounge).Talked loudly in the galley throughout the flight mainly about how much they hated the job and swore very loudly when a crew member realised they hadn't put the coffee on for the morning service. Very underwhelmed.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I can believe many things but knowingly handing out the wrong menus, sorry this is rubbish!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:37 pm

I'd say that was a pretty mild complaint. I've had two far, far worse CW experiences than that in the past!!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Speedbird876
A thread appeared on here about this yesterday but it disappeared almost instantly.

Did anyone else see it or am I going mad?
I think I may have seen it when I was on the train. Something like 'disappointing CW experience' but when I returned to the page to click on it a few moments later it had vanished.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I can believe many things but knowingly handing out the wrong menus, sorry this is rubbish!

It happened. Seated in 56D . CM1 came through to the galley area and said to CM2 'think some people got lunch menus'. Came through to the back cabin and proceeded to hand out the menus. Looked at mine and it was for Lunch. I told them and they just shrugged at me.

Just seemed a poor crew, no professionalism - one of them started eating a homemade sandwich while pax were loading.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It sounds terrible, really so sad to hear.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
It sounds terrible, really so sad to hear.
It is because the crews on both outbounds (one F and one CW) had been superb, nothing was too much trouble.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Moved to FlyerTalk’s Peanut-Gallery™ EM&R forum.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
OMG ... an aisle seat is 'exposed', my G&T wasn't poured for me.

I really think that takes FT whining to a new level!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Gabrca

To be fair to One-Mile-At-A-Time, he's very honest and open about how he pays for his travel...

ROTFL
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
I am sorry but when I read that he started one of his sentences with "Like, ..."

Like, could she not look at the menu?
I got bored!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.