Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
The JCB Marukai card earns up to 3% cash back on all purchases.

As of January 3, 2018, JCBUSA is no longer accepting new applications.

It had been available only to people in the following states:
California, Nevada, Oregon, Hawaii, Washington, Connecticut, Illinois, New Jersey, New York.

No annual fee for the first year.
$15.00 annual fee beginning the second year.

application: https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers...mium-jcb-card/
Print Wikipost

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by travel light
Thanks for posting this chart.

The T & C say that you earn $15 in cashback points per calendar year in which the spend is >$1k, and $50 when >$5K. This would change the effective rate.

I'm fairly certain that the chart already reflects those, hence the big jump in cashback at $1k and $5k.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by longhaulheavy
As to symbols on the back, nothing unexpected, except they actually bar code your Marukai membership right to the back of the card. Too bad you don't get a card that's closer to what they issue on the Japan mainland with the chip.
Which leads me to wonder. Discover's has it's own EMV mandate in 2015. If more merchants who accept Discover will be shifting over to EMV, but JCB USA does not issue EMV chipped JCB cards, there could be problems by JCB US cardholder in using their cards at Discover merchants.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: Far too many
I think tjguitar85 is right. The chart includes the bonuses at $1 and $5 K.

Last edited by travel light; Feb 5, 2014 at 2:06 pm Reason: clarity
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:28 am

Anybody know how JCB determines each month's statement's Closing Date? I was on the phone with them getting my cash back points converted to statement credit, decided to ask for next month's Closing Date, and she said they have no way of knowing.

Last 4 months were: 6th, 9th, 7th, 4th LOL. With any CC I want to know cuz I like to pay to zero out the balance a day or two before the Closing Date. But it's a little more important with JCB cuz the purchases only "count" in groups of 100. Not that critical but my first statement had X99 in purchases. I coulda bought something for $1 to get 3 more free dollars</firstworldproblems>
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
Last 4 months were: 6th, 9th, 7th, 4th LOL. With any CC I want to know cuz I like to pay to zero out the balance a day or two before the Closing Date. But it's a little more important with JCB cuz the purchases only "count" in groups of 100. Not that critical but my first statement had X99 in purchases. I coulda bought something for $1 to get 3 more free dollars</firstworldproblems>
JCB now has online access to view your transactions so you can look up your usages there and pay off as needed.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by kirax2
ETA: (Also, does anyone else find it ironic that this card has a foreign transaction fee? Guess I won't be using it during my next trip to Japan!)
Originally Posted by kebosabi
There is a 1.1% foreign transaction fee, but JCB was never part of the VISA, MC, AMEX FTF class action litigation so it's likely that the FTF is still hidden within the charge.
Looking back at this thread, it seems I'll be able to answer this question as I've used my JCB card in Japan last month.

I'll post a compare/contrast scan of the JCB statement and other 0% FTF cards (Andrews FCU and Chase Hyatt) that I used in Japan to see what the difference was.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 6:47 pm

pay off as needed
Every day???
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:12 pm

Looking back at this thread, it seems I'll be able to answer this question as I've used my JCB card in Japan last month.

I'll post a compare/contrast scan of the JCB statement and other 0% FTF cards (Andrews FCU and Chase Hyatt) that I used in Japan to see what the difference was.
I've found at least on amazon.co.jp, the exchange rate was better than what forex sites were suggesting, so it's quite possible that there isn't one for Japan.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:12 pm

Every day???
Well, whenever you like. There's no way to schedule a payment though, and if you have one of the ridiculously low credit limits, it's the only practical way to use the card.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:01 pm

Re: Anybody know how JCB determines each month's statement's Closing Date?

I'm almost entertaining the possibility that the Closing Date wouldn't have jumped around if I had only paid once per month. Anyway, my solution is two-pronged...
  1. guess
  2. since FICO maximization strategies usually require one card to report a Closing Date balance, JCB is the optimum card to choose for that
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:19 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
since FICO maximization strategies usually require one card to report a Closing Date balance, JCB is the optimum card to choose for that
But each individual credit line's utilization also counts... so can you guess close enough that it's still showing <10% util?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:45 am

Anybody know how JCB determines each month's statement's Closing Date? I was on the phone with them getting my cash back points converted to statement credit, decided to ask for next month's Closing Date, and she said they have no way of knowing.

Here we go again. JCB has the greatest random number generator ever invented or something.

I still don't know when my statement will close (hasn't yet, this month), but Equifax is saying JCB reported my mid-statement balance on 31 March. Bueller? The more datapoints we get, maybe we can nail down a pattern instead of presuming it's all completely random, hmmm.

Edit: Experian has the same (mid-statement balance) number under "Recent Balance" but doesn't really say the exact date. Didn't check TransUnion.

Oh BTW, it's common knowledge that the application is old-school/snail-mail making it tricky with an app-o-rama. I thought I'd give the mail an extra day to try to kinda sync the inquiries, and looking back it was the other way around like they do their hard inquiry in the mailroom as soon as they open the envelope or something.

Last edited by zceuxbhjutf; Apr 4, 2014 at 12:00 pm
Old Apr 12, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec, AA Platinum, Delta Elite, Starwood Gold
Highest limit?

What I am curious, is has anyone gotten approved for more than $3k Limit? Even after months of use? This is not worth it to me for such a small spending limit.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Based on my conversations with JCB International Credit Card CO., LTD. reps, they claim they are a small company and cannot risk giving out higher credit lines. Theoretically, the highest allowed CL is 12k, however average CL is about 2k. CS reps say that if you happen to go to Japan, they can temporarily raise your CL to a higher limit to enhance spending capacity but once paid off, they would go back to your previous CL. Honestly, I feel like it's a responsible approach, we all have other cards with higher limits, so why insist on JCB matching that when they are nowhere near the size of Chase or BofA.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by greglvnv
Based on my conversations with JCB International Credit Card CO., LTD. reps, they claim they are a small company
Well obviously; JCB's operation in the US is like Bank of America in Japan. Yes, there is a BofA Tokyo branch office, but it's scope of operations is very, very, very small. At least JCB offers a JCB card for US citizens, BofA Japan doesn't even issue any credit card at all.

I say JCB is fine where they are; small business geared toward specific customers with great customer service. Sure they may not give out huge credit limits, but who cares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.