Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
The JCB Marukai card earns up to 3% cash back on all purchases.

As of January 3, 2018, JCBUSA is no longer accepting new applications.

It had been available only to people in the following states:
California, Nevada, Oregon, Hawaii, Washington, Connecticut, Illinois, New Jersey, New York.

No annual fee for the first year.
$15.00 annual fee beginning the second year.

application: https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers...mium-jcb-card/
Print Wikipost

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 11:01 am

I got a phone call an hour or so ago from officialpayments telling me that they were voiding a federal tax payment their phone support did for me a couple of days ago with my Marukai JCB card, for which I had been issued a confirmation number. I asked what about the California tax payment I had made a few days earlier with that card, and she told me she'd call back. I plan to post an update when I have more information.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by jamar
My main interest is still in the fact that it works on iTunes Japan- pair a JCB card number from any country (for example, my Chinese one) with a random Japanese address and it'll pass the region check, whereas my US-issued Visa/MC/AmEx cards will always return the message "this card is not valid for Japan". Same with a couple of other online services I use (although those will accept my US-issued AmEx, JCB has a lower forex fee).
Oh, ok that makes sense then. If you're a non-resident of Japan but would like to access some online Japanese services then a JCB card could be worthwhile.

Don't really use iTunes Japan so that hadn't crossed my mind.
Amazon Japan and Kindle Japan works fine with my CapOne VISA card.
Haven't tried Rakuten so can't comment on that one.
Nico Nico Douga won't take any of my US issued VISA or MC, but it accepts AMEX for some reason.
Softbank pre-mobile top up won't accept my US issued VISA, but it accepts MC for some reason.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:32 pm

I received a second phone call from officialpayments, which I have described at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19960628-post249.html .
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by skynerd
I received a second phone call from officialpayments, which I have described at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19960628-post249.html .
Thanks for your report. Interesting that JCB cards automatically refer to it as the "Discover Network" when using for online payments stateside, yet rejects it later.

I assume the programming on the processor is like "if card number is between 3528-3589 process as Discover" while on Discover's side it's like "3528-3589 card number received through Discover Network, 3528-3589 = JCB, we do not accept online payments from BINs under this range." (using the data from Discover's own PDF file)

Perhaps the number of JCB cardholders in the US is so small (and JCB cardholders in the US likely to be those that use them at live retailers and merchants and hold alternative cards anyway) it's one of those that "fall under the cracks" when IT guys tries to test them it out.

Considering that JCB customer service is good, you might want to write up your "success/fail" report to JCB. It won't change overnight, but it would provide good feedback to see how JCB can strengthen their partnership with Discover for online payment solutions (and reciprocally perhaps, Americans in Japan can use their Discover cards for online payment solutions in Japan through the JCB network)

Last edited by kebosabi; Jan 2, 2013 at 2:58 pm
Old Mar 12, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, UA 1P
Just wondering: couldn't you use your Marukai card to buy paypal reloads at one of the applicable drugstores for .79% effective fee? Having signed up for a Paypal Debit mastercard, you could then load the monies into your paypal account and use the debit card to get the much lower debit rate on tax payments?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 9:47 pm

FYI,

Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:11 pm

giftcardmall.com accepts JCB directly

I just noticed that giftcardmall.com accepts JCB directly, including for purchases of Visa gift cards of up to $500 for $3.95/card + shipping. These cards reportedly now support PIN transactions.

Today's frequentmiler.com mentions that today TopCashBack is running a one day 2% rebate on giftcardmall.com Visa gift card orders, dropping to 1.5% for the next two days, and 1% thereafter.

Be sure to check your shipping charges at giftcardmall. It looks like giftcardmall tacked an extra charge onto my order (in addition to shipping and activation charges). Maybe I missed something in their terms and condtions or they're in the process or rolling out a shipping price hike, which is particularly plausible given FrequentMiler reported that Giftcardmall today reduced the maximum value of their Visa gift cards from $1,000 to $500.

Edit 4/29/2013:
I hasten to add that JCB is not cheapest best way to buy from GiftCardMall. You can get a slightly higher rebate by first buying American Express gift cards for a 1.4-1.5% rebate via BigCrumbs to TopCashBack (with a 2% cash back card, let's assume), and then using those AmEx gift cards to pay a GiftCardMall. JCB is interesting if you don't think the extra .4-.5% is worth your time or you're bumping into some other AmEx gift card limitation.

Last edited by skynerd; Apr 29, 2013 at 7:22 pm
Old May 7, 2013, 12:08 pm

Another interesting datapoint here is that Google Wallet now apparently works with US-issued JCB cards (set it up this morning), so it's one way that you could use it for online payments and with RFID-enabled terminals that aren't set up for Discover acceptance, but are for Mastercard.
Old May 7, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by billatq
Another interesting datapoint here is that Google Wallet now apparently works with US-issued JCB cards (set it up this morning), so it's one way that you could use it for online payments and with RFID-enabled terminals that aren't set up for Discover acceptance, but are for Mastercard.
Now... that 'is' interesting.... suddenly there is big potential here...
Old May 7, 2013, 2:28 pm

Just to update this post, it looks like Google wallet is no-go on the RFID ("this card is not supported"), which is a bit of a shame because that would bolster acceptance in some cases, especially for drugstores.

I've found that the general rule for this card is that it'll work in large chains where they're likely to either directly take JCB or have the JCB/UnionPay add-on for their Discover merchant account, assuming they take Discover at all.

(see below)

Places where it's been declined:
* Japanese-owned companies that only take MC/Visa, e.g. Daiso, Sarku, etc.
* Smaller businesses that take Discover (they're unlikely to have JCB/UnionPay enabled for their merchant account)

I've found that most cashiers (at least in the Pacific Northwest) are intrigued enough about the card to slide it and see what happens.

It seems that while they don't have online banking, they do have an automated phone banking system that's a bit of a throwback to the mid-90's, but gets the job done.

Edit: Figured I'd add more places now that I've tried it more places, and mostly keeping this list to chains
* 7-11
* AT&T (in the store)
* Alaska Airlines (In flight, not website)
* Amazon.com
* American Airlines
* Bartell Drugstore
* Baskin Robbins
* Buc-ee's Convenience Stores (Certain Locations)
* Burger King
* Canteen Vending Machines
* Cheddar's Steakhouse
* Chevron
* Coca Cola Vending Machines
* Cole Haan
* Dollar Tree
* Domino's Pizza (online and in-person)
* Dunkin Donuts
* Earth Class Mail
* Eat24Hours.com
* Fry's Electronics
* Gap.com
* Genki Sushi
* Google Wallet / Play
* H-Mart
* Hertz.com
* Hotels.com
* Hotwire.com
* Hudson News / All merchants in SEA Airport
* IKEA
* J. Crew
* Kinonuniya Bookstore
* Kroger/QFC
* L'Occitane
* McDonald's
* Menchie's
* Most fuel stations (Chevron, Union 76, etc., though some require that you go inside)
* Nordstrom
* Office Depot
* Old Navy
* Panera Bread
* Powell's Bookstore (Portland, OR)
* Radio Shack
* Sears
* Shloosl.com (Key Copying)
* Sony Store
* Specialty's Cafe And Bakery
* Square (or rather every business that uses Square)
* Starbucks
* Subway
* Taco Del Mar
* Target
* Telecharge.com
* The North Face outlet store
* Total Wine And More
* Trader Joe's
* USPS
* Union 76 Gas Stations
* Uwajimaya
* Walmart
* Whole Foods

Last edited by billatq; Jan 9, 2014 at 1:48 am Reason: Updated accepted list
Old May 7, 2013, 4:16 pm

Can someone refresh my memory in regards to google wallet...

It used to be they gave you a virtual prepaid card that you could load up, along with a card number, but, that was discontinued late last year. Do you get any MC card number (along with date and 3 digit code) for making online purchases from merchants that are not explicitly set up to take google wallet? Or, are the online transactions only available from merchants that explicitly take google wallet, in it's native form if you will?
Old May 7, 2013, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Can someone refresh my memory in regards to google wallet...

It used to be they gave you a virtual prepaid card that you could load up, along with a card number, but, that was discontinued late last year. Do you get any MC card number (along with date and 3 digit code) for making online purchases from merchants that are not explicitly set up to take google wallet? Or, are the online transactions only available from merchants that explicitly take google wallet, in it's native form if you will?
Google Wallet in its current form is a payment method using the NFC contactless chip feature on select Android phones and tablets.

1. You download Google Wallet app from Google Play
2. Add credit card(s) to the app, if multiple, select one as the default
3. Pay for goods using NFC feature where ever they accept contactless payments
4. When making online payments in places that accept Google Wallet, it comes straight from whatever credit card you put as the default for Google Wallet
Old May 7, 2013, 5:36 pm

Ah... so they don't quite give you a MC number that you can use for online places that do not accept GW directly yet....

Ok, not quite the goldmine that I was hoping... but nonetheless adds potential.

Been reading a few articles from November saying that a physical GW Card (presumably linked to your funding CC's perhaps like that walla.by card) was coming out at some point. Guess it's not out yet either.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:36 pm

How did you set this up?

I actually ended up getting this card, and, when I try to add this as a 'Payment Method' in Google Wallet, after merely entering the first two numbers on the card (35xxx...) it detects that it's JCB (graphic of the logo appears), but, also at the same time displays the message:

'Cannot use this card type for this purchase'

Funny thing is, right in the 'Google wallet help, it actually says they support JCB:

https://support.google.com/wallet/answer/105916

Go figure.

Last edited by thehawk75; Jul 17, 2013 at 12:41 pm
Old Jul 17, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
* Smaller businesses that take Discover (they're unlikely to have JCB/UnionPay enabled for their merchant account)
Wait, what? I thought JCB/UnionPay didn't need to be manually enabled. And at least UnionPay tells its cardholders online that if they have credit cards, then any merchant bearing the Discover logo will accept their card as long as a PIN waiver is in effect (UnionPay normally requires authentication by online PIN, which proved to be a problem at merchants without PIN pads).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.