Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
The JCB Marukai card earns up to 3% cash back on all purchases.

As of January 3, 2018, JCBUSA is no longer accepting new applications.

It had been available only to people in the following states:
California, Nevada, Oregon, Hawaii, Washington, Connecticut, Illinois, New Jersey, New York.

No annual fee for the first year.
$15.00 annual fee beginning the second year.

application: https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers...mium-jcb-card/
Print Wikipost

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
Originally Posted by Gammachu
Card just arrived today. After income verification, I got approved for a whopping 500. I got surprised that even my Target has a higher limit than this. Oh well, I'm happy I got approved for this. Will just pay multiple times throughout statement since I can't call today to rerquest higher limit. Happy that they ended up finally putting online access.
How do they verify your income?
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by RLG
This card has made some improvements lately. They now have online access and can setup automatic ACH payment from your bank account.
The online statement feature is weird though in which you need several clicks to get to the part that's most important: your pending and posted transactions. But it still works so I guess it's a just a minor PIB.

BTW, if your bank has online bill pay feature, you can add JCB to it so that rather than JCB pulling the payment from your bank automatically, you can be in control to push the payment to JCB instead.

BofA's online bill payment section has JCB on it and my mom pays hers that way - by pushing the payment to JCB rather than JCB pulling from BofA.

Originally Posted by happy9zz
When my mom applied for her JCB card, she was asked to send her 1040 for additional income verification.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by kebosabi

BTW, if your bank has online bill pay feature, you can add JCB to it so that rather than JCB pulling the payment from your bank automatically, you can be in control to push the payment to JCB instead.

BofA's online bill payment section has JCB on it and my mom pays hers that way - by pushing the payment to JCB rather than JCB pulling from BofA.
And... BlueBird also has JCB within it's list

Unfortunately JCB is not recognized for purposes of WM Bill Pay (as far as I can tell with my few attempts).
Old Dec 23, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
After much discussion with my mom, I managed to convince her to expand her JCB use by going over the Discover/JCB partnership. For years, all she has been using her Marukai JCB card was at Marukai and Japanese supermarkets in the LA area, or when she visits Japan.

So for the past week or so, she began to use her JCB card in other places with me helping out in some places as an authorized user.

So far so good:

(POS machine recognized as JCB as shown on receipt)
CVS Pharmacy
a random noodle shop

(POS machine recognized as Discover as shown on receipt)
7-Eleven
Taco Bell
Carl's Jr.
a random rice bowl shop

Granted, it's not much of a big sample pool, but it seems for now if the place accepts Discover, it goes through as Discover, and if the POS machine is up to date with the correct software to note that any BIN starting with 35**, it goes through as JCB.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 12:12 pm
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
That's exactly what I don't want to do. I want it to be paid without any intervention from me especially if I'm traveling.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by RLG
That's exactly what I don't want to do. I want it to be paid without any intervention from me especially if I'm traveling.
It all comes down to personal preference. Some people like the convenience of it automatically being paid and not bothered by it. Others like the convenience of being in control and be the one to authorize to make a payment 24/7.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by happy9zz
They had me send in 2 recent pay stubs. Will be asking for cli in 5 more months
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:57 pm

Pei Wei's the only place I've found not take the card.

They sent me a new card after the Target breach and gave me $50 coded Summer Campaign Credit (which I had missed). Winning...OR is that the year-end 50 bonus/5000spend?

Last edited by zceuxbhjutf; Jan 8, 2014 at 9:10 pm
Old Jan 4, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Do they pull Experian?
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:30 pm

Yes, Experian.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:04 am

Wasn't able to use the JCB card at Din Tai Fung in Arcadia this past weekend, despite the JCB logo sticker on the door. Server said it was weird because they're able to do JCB all the time from Japanese visitors.

Perhaps there's a transaction difference between Japan issued vs US issued JCB cards?
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:27 am

Wasn't able to use the JCB card at Din Tai Fung in Arcadia this past weekend, despite the JCB logo sticker on the door. Server said it was weird because they're able to do JCB all the time from Japanese visitors.

Perhaps there's a transaction difference between Japan issued vs US issued JCB cards?
There is a difference. Older JCB cards are 15 digits and prefixed with "2131" or "1800". Newer JCB cards, such as the ones issued in the US, begin with "35" and are 16 digits. This isn't aided by the fact that the only cards that used to start with "3" in the US were issued by AMEX.

I've had this happen to me before when a merchant specifically accepts JCB, but has out of date terminal software for one reason or another.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
And how old are we talking about? I don't think I've seen a single JCB card that's not 16 digits and starting with 35.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: Far too many
Include bonus in the analysis

Originally Posted by tjguitar85
FYI,

Thanks for posting this chart.

The T & C say that you earn $15 in cashback points per calendar year in which the spend is >$1k, and $50 when >$5K. This would change the effective rate.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 1:19 pm

Been a while since I've been around. Looks like the last time I logged into my account here was 2005! Sheesh...unused account for 9 years, with "WorldPerks" still on my profile. But I haven't been traveling much since I've been in LA. Anyhow...

I shop at the Marukai in West LA and saw the ads for the JCB card. It was time to renew my Marukai membership, so I figured - what the heck. It pulled my Experian report on 12/31, I received a separate acceptance letter on 1/24, and the card came on 1/31. Credit line is $3,000, which is about the highest I've seen them issue on various posts around the web. It still comes with the $1 off coupons.

Will report back on usage. I only went to buy gas yesterday at the Chevron, which accepts Discover, but the terminals at the pump told me to go inside to authorize. Too much work. I just used my Discover.

As to symbols on the back, nothing unexpected, except they actually bar code your Marukai membership right to the back of the card. Too bad you don't get a card that's closer to what they issue on the Japan mainland with the chip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.