Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
The JCB Marukai card earns up to 3% cash back on all purchases.

As of January 3, 2018, JCBUSA is no longer accepting new applications.

It had been available only to people in the following states:
California, Nevada, Oregon, Hawaii, Washington, Connecticut, Illinois, New Jersey, New York.

No annual fee for the first year.
$15.00 annual fee beginning the second year.

application: https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers...mium-jcb-card/
Print Wikipost

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by nayrb3
Just bumping this as I'm looking for answers to my post above from those of you who have the card...anyone doing manufactured spending? Trying to decide if the card is worth getting or if I should pickup the arrival card for domestic flights, car rental, etc.

Why would you bother with manufactured spending on a 3% card with a fee and no real bonus? I don't get it. Aren't there way better opportunity out there?
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by tjguitar85
Why would you bother with manufactured spending on a 3% card with a fee and no real bonus? I don't get it. Aren't there way better opportunity out there?
When you exhausted other better opportunities, 3% starts to look attractive?
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo
When you exhausted other better opportunities, 3% starts to look attractive?
I get that on regular spend, but manufactured spend? Doesn't seem worth it to me, I guess.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by nayrb3
Just bumping this as I'm looking for answers to my post above from those of you who have the card...anyone doing manufactured spending? Trying to decide if the card is worth getting or if I should pickup the arrival card for domestic flights, car rental, etc.
I enjoy this card, but I don't think it would be useful for manufactured spend.

For one, the limit is really low. For domestic flights, not all airlines accept JCB, and if you're buying at the counter, the limit is too low. I think the arrival probably meets your use case better.

If you don't mind getting two cards, then I think it's a nice card to have around, but you can't really depend on being able to get it to work due to limited acceptance and mis-programmed registers.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 2:17 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
The way I see it, it's definitely useful to have if you travel to Japan (or Asia in general) or you use certain Japanese online services that do region checks on CCs. Otherwise not so much.

If only UA had an agreement with JCB here like they do in Japan... UA's website seems to indicate that there was a OnePass JCB card issued in Guam, but not the mainland US, and it seems like it went away once the merger went through.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by jamar
The way I see it, it's definitely useful to have if you travel to Japan (or Asia in general) or you use certain Japanese online services that do region checks on CCs. Otherwise not so much.
I'd also add for those frequent Japanese supermarkets in the US (Mitsuwa, Marukai, etc), it's also worthwhile. My mom seems to be quite happy with it.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 7:18 pm

Card just arrived today. After income verification, I got approved for a whopping 500. I got surprised that even my Target has a higher limit than this. Oh well, I'm happy I got approved for this. Will just pay multiple times throughout statement since I can't call today to rerquest higher limit. Happy that they ended up finally putting online access.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Application timeline?

How long does has it been taking lately for applications to process? Anyone who recently applied have any data points? I applied via US Mail toward the beginning of the month. Still no word or credit inquiries detected.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by rionio77
How long does has it been taking lately for applications to process? Anyone who recently applied have any data points? I applied via US Mail toward the beginning of the month. Still no word or credit inquiries detected.
That is so lame. Looks like the application that was going to be dropped off in US mail tomorrow morning will have to wait.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 10:27 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rionio77
How long does has it been taking lately for applications to process?
I just noticed this in their FAQ:

How long will it take to process my application?
Please allow up to 4 weeks for us to process your application once it is received.
Yikes... could be ~5 weeks from when you mail it...
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
I finally bit the bullet and got myself a JCB card.

Well technically, I didn't apply for it myself; I just asked my mom if she'd be willing to add me as an authorized user for her account and if I ever use it (which I doubt I'll ever use) I'll pay my portion of the use.

And my Marukai Premium JCB card arrived today. Yippee now I have my own conversation starter. "Everyone has a VISA, MC, AMEX or Discover. Have you seen a JCB card?"
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by kebosabi
I finally bit the bullet and got myself a JCB card.

Well technically, I didn't apply for it myself; I just asked my mom if she'd be willing to add me as an authorized user for her account and if I ever use it (which I doubt I'll ever use) I'll pay my portion of the use.

And my Marukai Premium JCB card arrived today. Yippee now I have my own conversation starter. "Everyone has a VISA, MC, AMEX or Discover. Have you seen a JCB card?"
What kind of credit limit do you have?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by aegt123
What kind of credit limit do you have?
Not a big eye opener. It's shared with my mom's credit limit of $3000. She only uses her JCB card for Japanese groceries and occasionally when she goes back to Japan so in her view $3000 limit is more than enough for the limited use she sees with her JCB card. At max, she's never used more than 10% of her JCB credit limit and she pays in full every month.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Gammachu
Card just arrived today. After income verification, I got approved for a whopping 500. I got surprised that even my Target has a higher limit than this. Oh well, I'm happy I got approved for this. Will just pay multiple times throughout statement since I can't call today to rerquest higher limit. Happy that they ended up finally putting online access.
I asked them to bump my limit after six months and they were happy to raise my limit to something a bit more workable. It's on par with kebosabi's though, so nothing crazy.

They're definitely risk averse; they did another hard pull on my credit report, required that I again mail them proof of address and employment, and then took four weeks to get back.

Oh, and mail merge for their limit approval letters is broken, since my address was right, but the salutation was wrong.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 4:10 pm
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
This card has made some improvements lately. They now have online access and can setup automatic ACH payment from your bank account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.