Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
The JCB Marukai card earns up to 3% cash back on all purchases.

As of January 3, 2018, JCBUSA is no longer accepting new applications.

It had been available only to people in the following states:
California, Nevada, Oregon, Hawaii, Washington, Connecticut, Illinois, New Jersey, New York.

No annual fee for the first year.
$15.00 annual fee beginning the second year.

application: https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers...mium-jcb-card/
Print Wikipost

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by msp3
You have access to the JCB Plazas with have free Wi-Fi, drinks, and coupons inside them.
Plus you also get to use the Waikiki Trolley for free too. ^
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:37 pm

group of 100$?

What do some of you guys mean that you only get pts/rewards in group of 100$? Assuming you pass the spending threshold and are getting 3% on all purchases, you make a balance of 299$. Do you only get 3% back on the 200$ purchase or 299$?

Please assist! Thanks.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by fongdeals
What do some of you guys mean that you only get pts/rewards in group of 100$? Assuming you pass the spending threshold and are getting 3% on all purchases, you make a balance of 299$. Do you only get 3% back on the 200$ purchase or 299$?

Please assist! Thanks.
That's correct. So if you have this card and want to maximize your earnings, you need to some "planning ahead" and keep track of how much you spent each month. You don't want to miss out on $300 worth of 3% earnings when you only had $1 to go because if you spent $299, it'll be 3% on $200.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi
That's correct. So if you have this card and want to maximize your earnings, you need to some "planning ahead" and keep track of how much you spent each month. You don't want to miss out on $300 worth of 3% earnings when you only had $1 to go because if you spent $299, it'll be 3% on $200.
@kebosabi Thanks for the reply. wow - they are sneaky!!!! There is always a gimmick somewhere. I didnt see that anywhere on the application. Thank god for flytalker!!....i guess this is how they can offer 3% on the purchases.

WHat happens to the extra 99$? You earn 0% on that? So I guess you lose out on 3$?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@kebosabi Thanks for the reply. wow - they are sneaky!!!! There is always a gimmick somewhere. I didnt see that anywhere on the application....
Just click on "Cash Back" tab:

† Cash Back Points are calculated on every $100 purchased.
https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers...mium-jcb-card/
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:25 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
What do some of you guys mean that you only get pts/rewards in group of 100$?
Been reading my bill a little more closely lately, and I think I'm mistaken earlier. I think JCB keeps a rolling todal of your spend and awards points accordingly.

i.e. Spend $150 in in August, get 1 cashback point, spend another $150 is September, get 2 cashback points. So maybe it's not "lumpy" after all with you losing a point for not going over $100s every month. It seems to be cumulative.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 4:04 am

Post #55

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20713313-post55.html

shows a good list of places this has been accepted.

For those of you who've recently gotten this card, do you find that it is accepted pretty much anywhere a Discover card is accepted?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by hitman1420
For those of you who've recently gotten this card, do you find that it is accepted pretty much anywhere a Discover card is accepted?
In store, its often treated just like a Discover. Online, it has to be enabled for JCB for it to work.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:22 am

JCB Marukai Premium Card- 3% cashback?

anyone use a service like http://www.virtualpostmail.com as an out of stater to get the 3% card? if you can get a higher limit over time the address fee could be offset by rewards.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: UA, IHG Platinum, BW Diamond, Carlson Gold, Accor Platinum,
virtualpostmail offers 30-day money back guarantee so you can try and report back
Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by hitman1420
Yes pretty much. I can use it even at Taco Bell.

Oddly enough, I had a rejection last week at a Japanese ramen noodle restaurant despite it having a Discover sign.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Just discovered this card - very interesting how it receives very little publicity from some of the popular mileage bloggers (I bet no referral fee ) Admittedly limited (for now) to Hawaii and California residents, but that's still a huge chunk of the population.

3% with no annual fee is amazing - much better than the Fidelity Amex (2%) not to mention standard CrapOne and Barclay products which come with high AFs. However even the $25 AF is problematic unless you spend >$5k a year. The $2k limit is also a problem, as that's really only $1k per month unless you pay your balance immediately when the statement closes.

It's funny I dumped Discover years ago so I have no idea whether it is accepted at most of my everyday spend locations though the list below catches many of them. I suppose I can always use my Chase Hyatt card at restaurants and small merchants that don't accept Amex/Discover:

Originally Posted by billatq
Just to update this post, it looks like Google wallet is no-go on the RFID ("this card is not supported"), which is a bit of a shame because that would bolster acceptance in some cases, especially for drugstores.

I've found that the general rule for this card is that it'll work in large chains where they're likely to either directly take JCB or have the JCB/UnionPay add-on for their Discover merchant account, assuming they take Discover at all.

(see below)

Places where it's been declined:
* Japanese-owned companies that only take MC/Visa, e.g. Daiso, Sarku, etc.
* Smaller businesses that take Discover (they're unlikely to have JCB/UnionPay enabled for their merchant account)

I've found that most cashiers (at least in the Pacific Northwest) are intrigued enough about the card to slide it and see what happens.

It seems that while they don't have online banking, they do have an automated phone banking system that's a bit of a throwback to the mid-90's, but gets the job done.

Edit: Figured I'd add more places now that I've tried it more places, and mostly keeping this list to chains
* 7-11
* AT&T (in the store)
* Alaska Airlines (In flight, not website)
* Amazon.com
* American Airlines
* Bartell Drugstore
* Baskin Robbins
* Buc-ee's Convenience Stores (Certain Locations)
* Burger King
* Canteen Vending Machines
* Cheddar's Steakhouse
* Chevron
* Coca Cola Vending Machines
* Cole Haan
* Dollar Tree
* Domino's Pizza (online and in-person)
* Dunkin Donuts
* Earth Class Mail
* Eat24Hours.com
* Fry's Electronics
* Gap.com
* Genki Sushi
* Google Wallet / Play
* H-Mart
* Hertz.com
* Hotels.com
* Hotwire.com
* Hudson News / All merchants in SEA Airport
* IKEA
* J. Crew
* Kinonuniya Bookstore
* Kroger/QFC
* L'Occitane
* McDonald's
* Menchie's
* Most fuel stations (Chevron, Union 76, etc., though some require that you go inside)
* Nordstrom
* Office Depot
* Old Navy
* Panera Bread
* Powell's Bookstore (Portland, OR)
* Radio Shack
* Sears
* Shloosl.com (Key Copying)
* Sony Store
* Specialty's Cafe And Bakery
* Square (or rather every business that uses Square)
* Starbucks
* Subway
* Taco Del Mar
* Target
* Telecharge.com
* The North Face outlet store
* Total Wine And More
* Trader Joe's
* USPS
* Union 76 Gas Stations
* Uwajimaya
* Walmart
* Whole Foods

Last edited by Boraxo; Oct 22, 2014 at 4:00 pm
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Just discovered this card - very interesting how it receives very little publicity from some of the popular mileage bloggers (I bet no referral fee ) Admittedly limited (for now) to Hawaii and California residents, but that's still a huge chunk of the population.

3% with no annual fee is amazing - much better than the Fidelity Amex (2%) not to mention standard CrapOne and Barclay products which come with high AFs. However a $2k limit is a bit problematic, that's really only $1k per month unless you pay your balance immediately when the statement closes.

It's funny I dumped Discover years ago so I have no idea whether it is accepted at most of my everyday spend locations though the list below catches many of them. I suppose I can always use my Chase Hyatt card at restaurants and small merchants that don't accept Amex/Discover:
Well, the fine print is that there is an annual fee of $35 and there is a stairstep on the first 3% in that you don't fully get 3% until you're $3,000 of spend a year. You also have to live on the west coast or Hawaii to get the card.

Also, some random usability things about the card is that the website looks like a 1990's era Japanese website, and you can't schedule payments in advance. There's no support for quicken or ofx transfer, or even mint. Also, the card doesn't work at all the merchants that Discover supports, but you will find that it works at most large retailers. It's doubtful if ApplePay and similar payment systems will make it to JCB anytime soon.

Another side perk is that they don't seem to apply a FTF (despite it being in the terms) and a lot of companies treat it as a Japanse-issued card, so it's great for buying stuff on the Japan iTunes store online.

Despite seeming a little backwards technology-wise, they dealt with the home depot data breach pretty well and proactively issued me another card. I had to set up a new account for their website, but things like credits to the old card made it successfully over to the new card.

I managed to get my card up to a reasonable limit by calling in once every six months and letting them do a hard-pull to up it, but it's definitely a bit of a hassle.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by billatq
Also, some random usability things about the card is that the website looks like a 1990's era Japanese website, and you can't schedule payments in advance. There's no support for quicken or ofx transfer, or even mint. Also, the card doesn't work at all the merchants that Discover supports, but you will find that it works at most large retailers. It's doubtful if ApplePay and similar payment systems will make it to JCB anytime soon.
OTOH, JCB is a biller on Bank of America's online bill pay system, so you can also go that route to "pay in advance."
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi
OTOH, JCB is a biller on Bank of America's online bill pay system, so you can also go that route to "pay in advance."
That is fair. I actually use my bank's (USAA) billpay system for paying JCB. Since they changed the address recently, it seems to be more automated than check cutting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.