Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
The JCB Marukai card earns up to 3% cash back on all purchases.

As of January 3, 2018, JCBUSA is no longer accepting new applications.

It had been available only to people in the following states:
California, Nevada, Oregon, Hawaii, Washington, Connecticut, Illinois, New Jersey, New York.

No annual fee for the first year.
$15.00 annual fee beginning the second year.

application: https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers...mium-jcb-card/
Print Wikipost

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Gammachu
Right before I was about to get ready to hang up, she asked me what I was purchasing just out of curiosity and I told her a lot of heavenly discounted items such as tv's and electronics and would give to friends/neighbors and they would pay me back.
That sounds way weirder than business purchases. "I sell discounted TVs to my neighbors" sounds like "I steal TVs."

Anyway, I guess I don't really understand why recycling is viewed as a risk, since the amount of risk your creditor is exposed to remains equal to your credit limit at any time, unless you recycle so frequently that there's a risk that by the time the bank learns that your payment didn't clear, you've already maxed out your card again. That's what Discover's three-day rule is about. I guess I could call JCB's risk department and ask for guidance on how to use my card for large business purchases, and whether there's a certain amount of recycling that's acceptable, or whether they'd be willing to make a note in my file to authorize my level of business spending.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by pdxuser
That sounds way weirder than business purchases. "I sell discounted TVs to my neighbors" sounds like "I steal TVs."

Anyway, I guess I don't really understand why recycling is viewed as a risk, since the amount of risk your creditor is exposed to remains equal to your credit limit at any time, unless you recycle so frequently that there's a risk that by the time the bank learns that your payment didn't clear, you've already maxed out your card again. That's what Discover's three-day rule is about. I guess I could call JCB's risk department and ask for guidance on how to use my card for large business purchases, and whether there's a certain amount of recycling that's acceptable, or whether they'd be willing to make a note in my file to authorize my level of business spending.
For business purchases you would have to use their business jcb card, not personal card. If you are and they still gave you a small limit, your only option is what you suggested.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Gammachu
For business purchases you would have to use their business jcb card, not personal card. If you are and they still gave you a small limit, your only option is what you suggested.
I'm not the business owner, though, I'm reimbursed for business purchases. Anyway, their business card is ridiculous: 0.5% cash back, $30 annual fee (waived if you spend $10,000).
Old Oct 24, 2015, 12:40 am

Marukai is not Mitsuwa, but this seems like the best thread to point out that a couple days ago, the Mitsuwa co-brand JCB card disappeared from JCB USA's website. To be fair, its rewards structure was not very attractive.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Maybe this is posted earlier, just received a flyer touting the following "special" JCB services:
  • Free admission to Tokyo Tower
  • 20% off Narita Limo Bus (free ticket with 50k yen in receipts)
  • Free wifi @ 200,000+ spots in Japan
There are also a few retailer coupons including 15% off @Bloomingdales.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Maybe this is posted earlier, just received a flyer touting the following "special" JCB services:
  • Free admission to Tokyo Tower
  • 20% off Narita Limo Bus (free ticket with 50k yen in receipts)
  • Free wifi @ 200,000+ spots in Japan
There are also a few retailer coupons including 15% off @Bloomingdales.
I received that few days ago. I was hoping it was another "use card at 20 different location, get $50 bonus" promotion.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Applied for this today but am not too optomistic about my chances due to the residency reqs. I recently moved from WA to NE, (family still lives in the WA house) and tried to fill out the app as if I was still a WA resident. My NE paystub and bank statements (incl in app) all reflect a WA address. Only thing I didn't include was a drivers lic as I just switched that over. What do u guys think my chances are?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HGHUA
Applied for this today but am not too optomistic about my chances due to the residency reqs. I recently moved from WA to NE, (family still lives in the WA house) and tried to fill out the app as if I was still a WA resident. My NE paystub and bank statements (incl in app) all reflect a WA address. Only thing I didn't include was a drivers lic as I just switched that over. What do u guys think my chances are?
I imagine you should have no problem getting the initial card. However, that brings up another question--have there been reports of JCB becoming suspicious about residency due to lots of spending outside the eligibility area?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:02 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
You are now aware Marukai has been bought out by Don Quixote since two years ago...
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I imagine you should have no problem getting the initial card. However, that brings up another question--have there been reports of JCB becoming suspicious about residency due to lots of spending outside the eligibility area?
No problems on my end. Former California resident, now in Florida. Applied when I was in California, but since I live in Fl now, about 90% of my spend is in Fl. No questions regarding my spend being mostly out of California (though I suppose it helps that my authorized user uses it frequently at the Marukai in Costa Mesa CA, and I, myself go back there once every few months when visiting my parents).
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Agh! I've got no patience. Its only been a few days and already I'm fighting the urge to call them to ask about my app decision. You'd think the Japanese of all ppl would be up to date on tech and instant decisions. Though sometimes the 60 second decision by other banks stresses me out too so haha.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:31 pm

So a bit of a follow up:

Recieved a call a week after mailing the app, wanted some clarification of prior addresses and they seemed a bit confused about the whole Nebraska job but WA residency thing. Guess it was ok though as she said they would start processing it. Next day got a hard pull on both Experian and TransUnion. Didn't realize they would pull both. hmm.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Trying to figure out if this card is a good fit for us as the Travelocity Mastercard/Amex with its 4% return on travel is going away in the spring and we need something almost as good.

What concerns us is the low credit line, although we looked at the last 12 months of avg monthly charges and were below the 12,000 credit line the JCB website seems to claim as the top number.

For credit worthiness, let's just say the applicant is a physician earning well into the mid 6 figures with above 780 FICO so while the approval shouldn't be a problem, a low credit line will because they have a side business reselling toys and there are a lot of purchases made both in store and online - and if the card does not work online at all (ie walmart.com, toysrus.com, lego.com, etc), that could be a problem and working around it using gift cards will be a pain and increase costs/reduce return due to gift card expenses.

Also, not being able to go online to check your transactions is a problem along with the lack of 24hr customer service.

If we charge $130,000 per year the cash return is almost 4,000 and that number can't be sneezed at given the lack of decent options from other card issuers and the applicant already refused my advise of doing the Chase Ultimate>office supply>5x pts>gift card cycle routine, so that limits other options.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen

What concerns us is the low credit line [...]

[...] they have a side business reselling toys and there are a lot of purchases made both in store and online [...]
JCB is pretty risk adverse, so even with a six figure income, don't expect too much more than about 3-4k as a starting credit limit (until you call in 6 months after approval for a credit limit increase.

Also, as noted previously, if it looks like you're using this card for business, they'll likely pick up on that and recommend that you use their business cards (Many consumer protection laws don't necessarily apply to business cards, they supposedly have "generous" credit limits to fit the need of the business, and their business rewards are basically 0.5%)

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Also, not being able to go online to check your transactions is a problem along with the lack of 24hr customer service.
There is access to online statements. Transactions take approximately a day to appear on the transaction log, and they post in about 3-5 business days (or longer sometimes). The UI is pretty dated, and acts like something I made in my jr year database class; it usually works as intended, but then occasionally, random things don’t work like the transaction inquiry spitting out errors or the statement disappearing for a couple hours.

Personally, I only recommend this card for normal, non-bonus spend, as well as websites that have a Japanese region-lock on credit cards (some sites require Japanese credit cards, but JCB Marukai seems to slip right on through).
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:53 pm

Yah! Called and was told I was approved today. 2K limit which is fine for me.

Funny enough their operation must be pretty small, when she asked my name she laughed and said she had just seen my name come across her desk. Plus I feel like its always the same 3 ppl picking up the phones. Haha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.