Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
The JCB Marukai card earns up to 3% cash back on all purchases.

As of January 3, 2018, JCBUSA is no longer accepting new applications.

It had been available only to people in the following states:
California, Nevada, Oregon, Hawaii, Washington, Connecticut, Illinois, New Jersey, New York.

No annual fee for the first year.
$15.00 annual fee beginning the second year.

application: https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers...mium-jcb-card/
Print Wikipost

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2015, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
I was doing heavy MS with this card in the past, mainly at Rite Aid, never a problem, but I almost stopped using it since Barclays upgraded Priceline card, which basically gives me 3.3% everywhere and 8.3% at Priceline, as well as no FTF, no AF, and no $100 minimum spend for rewards. They pay rewards even for 1c spend, unlike JCB. I will probably cancel this card next year after receiving $50 for yearly $5k spend. The CL on this JCB is pretty low at $2500 compared to $25k on Priceline.
Where's the 3% everywhere? I don't see it anywhere on the webiste.
https://www.pricelinevisa.com/
Old Jun 13, 2015, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Oh I forgot to update. It took some back and forth but their response was basically "we don't know whether it'll be chip and sig or chip and PIN". I guess we'll see next year.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by yusiye
Where's the 3% everywhere? I don't see it anywhere on the webiste.
https://www.pricelinevisa.com/
If you have a grandfathered 2% Priceline Visa, you effectively get 3.3% cashback as long as you redeem it only on Priceline NYOP purchase because you can redeem each point at 1.5X that way and you get 5X on Priceline purchases. It is not a deal that new folks can get.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:57 pm
ddu

I got mine for a couple weeks.

Accepted
* food truck using square reader
* target
* westfield online food ordering

Rejected
* comcast
* verizon
* venmo

Add to google wallet is buggy. After adding the card in mobile app, the screen stuck forever and never appear in the card list, but it is listed only on website and usable for purchasing.

Last edited by ddu; Jul 13, 2015 at 9:02 pm
Old Sep 23, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
For those of us with credit scores at dangerously low levels from applying too much, be aware JCB will freeze your account when your score goes below 650, and ask for income verification. Have had to do this twice already its very aggravating.

If you fail the review it was implied to me your account will be closed by them. Between that and giving out next to no credit to cardholders, makes you wonder how exactly do they make money.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 12:38 am

Does anyone know if this card is accepted at walmart.com? It seems it's accepted at physical Walmart stores, but I'm hearing that online stores might be different.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by sudopudge
Does anyone know if this card is accepted at walmart.com? It seems it's accepted at physical Walmart stores, but I'm hearing that online stores might be different.
No, it doesn't look like it accepted online.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Interesting experience when charging larger amounts...

Attempted to pay $3k in taxes earlier this year - REJECTED by 800-USAtax

Charged $800 for furniture at local store - APPROVED. The next day, charged $450 for auto repairs at my local indy mechanic - APPROVED. Later that day I receive a call from a nice Japanese lady to verify the furniture charge.

JCB definitely watches your account like a hawk, but that's okay with me if it reduces fraud. But could be a problem if it flags international charges. Has anyone tried using overseas outside Japan?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
BTW the customer service person who responded to the email that I sent over the holiday claims 2016 for EMV/chip support. There will be a PIN but it's still unclear whether it'll be Barclay's style (where it's only for kiosks) or whether it'll nearly always be required. I'll see if I can get clarification.
Yes, my card expired and today the new one arrived. I thought for sure it would have a chip but no.

On another note, I'm wondering if this is a good card for international travel (one would of course want a backup due to uncertain acceptance) due to the 3% cashback. See, I have two cards that have no FTF whereas when I look at the terms that came with my new JCB it says -1.1% exchange fee. Well that nets out to +1.9%, whereas my two FTF-free cards are only 1% cashback, hmmm.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
Yes, my card expired and today the new one arrived. I thought for sure it would have a chip but no.

On another note, I'm wondering if this is a good card for international travel (one would of course want a backup due to uncertain acceptance) due to the 3% cashback. See, I have two cards that have no FTF whereas when I look at the terms that came with my new JCB it says -1.1% exchange fee. Well that nets out to +1.9%, whereas my two FTF-free cards are only 1% cashback, hmmm.
It would likely be reasonable for travel to Japan (and maybe elsewhere in Asia). I don't know about anywhere else though.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf

Used jcb marukai premium in Hong Kong both this year and last. No foreign exchange fees. Accurate conversion rate and points will post for cash back.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Interesting experience when charging larger amounts...

Attempted to pay $3k in taxes earlier this year - REJECTED by 800-USAtax

Charged $800 for furniture at local store - APPROVED. The next day, charged $450 for auto repairs at my local indy mechanic - APPROVED. Later that day I receive a call from a nice Japanese lady to verify the furniture charge.

JCB definitely watches your account like a hawk, but that's okay with me if it reduces fraud. But could be a problem if it flags international charges. Has anyone tried using overseas outside Japan?
Yeah, I also received a call from them next day, after purchasing $1500 worth of gift cards at Walmart. It was approved without a problems though. The lady asked if it was a legitimate purchase, as I was not using the card since March. Next day I purchased another $500 GC at Walmart with no problems.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:15 pm

How soon after an online payment does your credit become available again? Is it instant? I'm trying to determine how often I could recycle a small JCB credit limit. I know Discover has a quirk where if you make a payment less three days after a previous one, the additional credit doesn't become available for up to 8 days, so it's possible that even if your payment is usually credited immediately, it won't be if you pay again a day or two later.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by pdxuser
I'm trying to determine how often I could recycle a small JCB credit limit.
That's a great way to get them to shut you down. I'd recommend getting an increased credit limit instead. They are a small bank and notice this type of thing.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by pdxuser
How soon after an online payment does your credit become available again? Is it instant? I'm trying to determine how often I could recycle a small JCB credit limit. I know Discover has a quirk where if you make a payment less three days after a previous one, the additional credit doesn't become available for up to 8 days, so it's possible that even if your payment is usually credited immediately, it won't be if you pay again a day or two later.
Just as the previous poster said, they could shut you down for doing that often. After about 4 months of spending about 5k on a $500 limit each month, (was loading Redbird when credit card was accepted) I got a call from a really nice Japanese lady asking me if I was using my card for business purchases and to limit my sending to about my credit limit.

Right before I was about to get ready to hang up, she asked me what I was purchasing just out of curiosity and I told her a lot of heavenly discounted items such as tv's and electronics and would give to friends/neighbors and they would pay me back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.