Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
The JCB Marukai card earns up to 3% cash back on all purchases.

As of January 3, 2018, JCBUSA is no longer accepting new applications.

It had been available only to people in the following states:
California, Nevada, Oregon, Hawaii, Washington, Connecticut, Illinois, New Jersey, New York.

No annual fee for the first year.
$15.00 annual fee beginning the second year.

application: https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers...mium-jcb-card/
Print Wikipost

JCB Marukai Premium Card - All USA accounts to close April 2018.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Additional listing of card usage experience (will supplement periodically):

JCB Accepted:
  • Acura & many auto repair shops
  • BART
  • Big5
  • Dennys
  • CVS pharmacy
  • Coldstone
  • Global Entry (USG)
  • Gogo inflight wireless
  • H&M
  • Home Depot
  • IHOP
  • In-n-Out
  • Jimmy Johns
  • Marriott
  • McDonald's
  • Paramount Great America (only certain concessions)
  • AT&T Park (only certain concessions)
  • SAP Center (San Jose Sharks) - all concessions
  • SmarteCarte
  • Peets Coffee
  • Nordstrom
  • Home Depot
  • Jamba Juice
  • Safeway
  • Subway
  • Target
  • Trader Joes
  • United inflight food & bev
  • Vending machines (with card swipers)
  • Virgin America onboard
  • Whole Foods

JCB Rejected
  • Chipotle
  • Vail Resorts
  • Peets Coffee (yes both accepted and rejected!)
  • Starbucks (no good in VeriFone chip machines)
  • United inflight Wifi!
  • Some local restaurants

Last edited by Boraxo; Dec 23, 2016 at 10:12 pm
Old Mar 7, 2015, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo

JCB Rejected
  • United inflight Wifi!
Interesting. Gogo works just fine with the JCB card
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: Far too many
[QUOTE=Boraxo;23942403]Why would I need to track JCB rebates? Presumably they post automatically. It is not the same as miles or points that may expire or that can be transferred to other programs.

Rebates do not credit automatically--you have to phone CS, and if they are not redeemed in a year, they expire. So I think it is sensible to track them.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: Far too many
50 bonus points (=dollars) posted on this month's statement. I learned of quite a few small businesses that accept the card, as I expect the promotion was intended to show.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:52 pm

my JCB CARD was also accepted onboard Delta and Alaska Aitlines tough I never will buy a small can of american beer for 8 Dollars.. never again this is just stealing from the customer.
Better to fly Gulf Airlines which are the best in the World, without charging for everything.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by travel light
50 bonus points (=dollars) posted on this month's statement. I learned of quite a few small businesses that accept the card, as I expect the promotion was intended to show.
It's not clear if you're confused or not, but the 50 points on March statements isn't for the 20-store swipe promo. It's for accumulating $5000 or more in charges during 2014 (their computer screwed up cuz those points normally appear on January statements).
Old Mar 21, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by Boraxo

JCB Accepted:
  • BART
  • Big5
  • Dennys
  • CVS pharmacy
  • Gogo inflight wireless
  • H&M
  • Marriott
  • McDonald's
  • SmarteCarte
  • Peets Coffee
  • Nordstrom
  • Home Depot
  • Jamba Juice
  • Safeway
  • Subway
  • United inflight food & bev
  • Virgin America onboard

JCB Rejected
  • Chipotle
  • Vail Resorts
  • United inflight Wifi!
  • Some local restaurants
In my experience JCB is also accepted at SaveMart, but rejected at Lucky (the same company). I also pay with JCB, when merchants decline Amex, but accept Visa/MC. JCB usually works in this case. Sometimes they ask which card is it, and I tell them, is't a Mastercard. Once at Rite Aid, I had a hard time paying with JCB, as a cashier and a manager were confused which card is it, and whether they accept it (they do).
Also, Simon Malls reject JCB.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:08 pm

I think I just got shut down. I have had the card temporarily canceled and had to call in and explain my strange spending patterns. I was told that this was not the intended use of the card and was asked if these were business purchases.

I loved this card because fraud alerts were a non-issue. I had the card canceled and re-issued multiple times because their system alerted them to unusual activity. If this has happened to you then your time is almost up as well. Am I the first to get the axe?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by BussingIt
I think I just got shut down. I have had the card temporarily canceled and had to call in and explain my strange spending patterns. I was told that this was not the intended use of the card and was asked if these were business purchases.

I loved this card because fraud alerts were a non-issue. I had the card canceled and re-issued multiple times because their system alerted them to unusual activity. If this has happened to you then your time is almost up as well. Am I the first to get the axe?
Yeah, I don't think that this card is manufactured spend friendly in the same way that some other cards are. They're very risk averse and do hard pulls every time they bump your limit. Judging by the way that they ramp up the 3% rewards program, the majority of their customers don't spend more than a few hundred in a year.

I think this is a great everyday card, but I doubt you can do more than very light MS through it if that's what you're planning on doing with it.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by BussingIt

I was doing heavy ms for months since Redbird came out. Just last month I got a call from their security department asking if my Target purchases were business purchases. I denied it and told her I just shop at Target for all my household needs (about 6k spending per month on a $1000 credit line). She told me to cut it down a bit seeing as I'm spending more than my reported income. I told her the money was also coming in from my family to cover expenses. I just decided to stop for a while. Was great getting 3% at Target for a few months, but oh well. I did love how all purchases I've made never came up as fraudulent and didn't have to call to alert of upcoming purchase.

Edit: how much were you spending each month and what's your credit limit?

Last edited by Gammachu; Apr 7, 2015 at 4:03 pm Reason: Asking question
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:11 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
I was doing heavy MS with this card in the past, mainly at Rite Aid, never a problem, but I almost stopped using it since Barclays upgraded Priceline card, which basically gives me 3.3% everywhere and 8.3% at Priceline, as well as no FTF, no AF, and no $100 minimum spend for rewards. They pay rewards even for 1c spend, unlike JCB. I will probably cancel this card next year after receiving $50 for yearly $5k spend. The CL on this JCB is pretty low at $2500 compared to $25k on Priceline.
Old May 5, 2015, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Gammachu
Got a flyer in mail 3 days ago. Same promotion they had last year.

Get 50 JCB points if you visit 20 or more location. 30 JCB points if you visit 15 or more locations. Stores you visit have to be categorized as either:
Grocery store
Drug store
Discount store (eg. Target)
restaurants and cafe
Office store

Based on last year's expense, they can be the same store you visit, but have to be different locations you make the purchase.

Promo starts Jan 10, 2015 through March 10, 2015.
YMMV
Just received my $50 statement credit tonight for the JCB promotion.
Old May 6, 2015, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by yugi
I was doing heavy MS with this card in the past, mainly at Rite Aid, never a problem, but I almost stopped using it since Barclays upgraded Priceline card, which basically gives me 3.3% everywhere and 8.3% at Priceline, as well as no FTF, no AF, and no $100 minimum spend for rewards. They pay rewards even for 1c spend, unlike JCB. I will probably cancel this card next year after receiving $50 for yearly $5k spend. The CL on this JCB is pretty low at $2500 compared to $25k on Priceline.
I have one of those Priceline cards. That's actually pretty neat, though it looks like you do have to redeem it in a travel category to get the bonus.
Old May 6, 2015, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by Gammachu
Just received my $50 statement credit tonight for the JCB promotion.
Same. I'd almost forgotten about it.
Old May 26, 2015, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
BTW the customer service person who responded to the email that I sent over the holiday claims 2016 for EMV/chip support. There will be a PIN but it's still unclear whether it'll be Barclay's style (where it's only for kiosks) or whether it'll nearly always be required. I'll see if I can get clarification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.