Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2012, 9:27 pm

Just applied for the Visa and Amex and approved for both. Called in and confirmed the signup bonus for the 50,000 miles. Just wanted to share.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by looniebuz
Just applied for the Visa and Amex and approved for both. Called in and confirmed the signup bonus for the 50,000 miles. Just wanted to share.
My question may be obvious to some, I am either over thinking it or I'm mildly retarded.

I have read multiple posts with individuals that I share one or two of their circumstance, but no one has posted a success having ALL three.

1-It has been more than 18-20 months since my last application with CITI. At that time I was approved for an AA MC. So is the 18 months rule from date of application regardless if you still have the it open or not. Or is it 18 months from closure?
2- I currently have the AA MC Personal and Business, I have had these for more than 3 years (I am citigold and my annual fees are waived). I also have the CITI HH VISA.
3-Are you considered an existing customer if you already have a card from a different card issuer. I have a MC but don’t have CITI AA AMEX or VISA. Or CITI does not differentiate and considers you an existing customer regardless if it is VISA/MC/AMEX? Personal or business?

I want to apply for the VISA and AMEX personal cards.

Thanks a lot
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
My question may be obvious to some, I am either over thinking it or I'm mildly retarded.

I have read multiple posts with individuals that I share one or two of their circumstance, but no one has posted a success having ALL three.

1-It has been more than 18-20 months since my last application with CITI. At that time I was approved for an AA MC. So is the 18 months rule from date of application regardless if you still have the it open or not. Or is it 18 months from closure?
2- I currently have the AA MC Personal and Business, I have had these for more than 3 years (I am citigold and my annual fees are waived). I also have the CITI HH VISA.
3-Are you considered an existing customer if you already have a card from a different card issuer. I have a MC but don’t have CITI AA AMEX or VISA. Or CITI does not differentiate and considers you an existing customer regardless if it is VISA/MC/AMEX? Personal or business?

Thanks a lot

I have seen posts of people in your situation getting approved for a new personal Visa and Amex without cancelling their current AA MC if it was applied for over 18 months ago.

A personal MC applied for within the last 18 months would probably trigger you as a previous card holder. The business card is a separate thing. Having a business card will not identify you as a previous card holder for the personal cards.

If you want to try to reapply for the business card, you would need to wait 65 days after the personal applications. You would also need to close the existing business account in order to apply for a new one. I don't know if the 18 months applies to the business card or not, though. I have read conflicting reports of that on this forum. Someone else may be better able to answer that.

From what I have learned from these forums, if your credit rating is good, you have a high chance of being approved for both the personal Amex and Visa.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:02 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
The best answers, based on what the thread participants have reported, are probably...

1- 18 months from last personal AA card application and 30 days from any other Citi card. Closure has nothing to do with anything on the personal cards, really.
3- Citi is the issuer for all the cards. The type is irrelevant. So a personal MC disqualifies you from personal Amex and Visa. But since you have already waited 18 months, you're probably a new customer anyway.

EDIT: Two concurring opinions. That's pretty good around here...
Old Apr 14, 2012, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To add to what others have already said, I was in a pretty similar situation in Nov 2011 (ie, about 5 months ago): I had one open Citi AA MC from 2009, a Citi HH Visa (opened a few months earlier), and another Citi card (AT&T Universal). The same count of cards apparently, except none of mine was business.

I had no problems getting approved for both the personal Citi AA Visa and the personal Citi AA Amex applied for at the same with the "two-browser trick". I did not close my Citi AA MC then, and I still have it open now. However, to get my two new cards approved (and with a useable credit limit given the $$$$ spend threshold I needed to get to quickly to earn the bonus), I had to ok them moving some credit limit from the Citi AA MC to each of the new cards. But that was not an issue, just an extra step in the procedure (on the phone).

Don't overanalyze the "first time customer" language. Just know that it translates, right now, in the case of Citi AA cards, to the 18-20 month rule. Period.

Citi lumps all personal AA cards together for this 18-20 month rule, and again it's 18-20 month from the last successul application. Cancellations are totally irrelevant. If anything, it's easeir it you don't cancel, because then you have an open card to move credit from (or cancel as a condition on the phone of getting the card provded, if necessary). If you cancel beforehand, you have fewer options if you need to talk them on the phone to massage credit limits and such. (There's no guarnatee that the creidt limit from a cancelled card goes back onto the pool of available credit for all your Citi aco....s.)
Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
just applied for the amex using the first link and got approved though the live chat with a rep in South Dakota.

• Lisa: You should receive your card no later than next Saturday the 21st!
• you: awesome
• Lisa: Do you have any questions at this time?
• you: I want to confirm the award offer of this card
• Lisa: Okay. Let me gather that information.
• Lisa: $150 statement credit on the first AA purchase within 12 months.
• Lisa: 2 Admirals Club passes upon enrollment.
• Lisa: and 50k Bonus miles with your purchases of $3000 within 4 months.
• you: awesome!
Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

18 to 20 months (more like 20 months now) from the LAST SUCCESSFUL APPROVAL. Whether that last approved card is still open or closed, makes no difference.

The business card might be a sticky issue. It all depends whether your credit profile allows you to have more than 1 business card. If you can use different Tax ID for each business card, you have a better chance to receive another one. Though we do not have new data points on this lately. It works as late as several months ago. If you use SSN for your business card, your chance for a 2nd one is slim to none if the old one still is active.

Not sure I understand your question on this one. If you are asking about whether you only have an AA MC, and no AA Visa / AMEX, would Citi considers you an existing customer for AA card or not? The answer is, Citi consider there are only 2 types of AAdvantage cards, Personal and Business, regardless the genre of the cards.

However, once your last card was opened over 18 to 20 months ago, you become "new" to Citi again.

Having other type of Citi cards do not affect the "existing customer" issue of the AAdvantage card.

This gatekeeper thing is to stop the frequent churning like in years past when people can get 1 AAdvantage card every 30 some days or a pair every 60 some days. There was such a bragging thread right in this forum to give the how to etc. Guess what? Citi finally wised up and stopped that despite it had allowed the practice for years when being done discretely. And the poster who started the bragging and how to thread was wondering why?

Just make sure you follow the exact steps that have been a tried and proven method to have very high success rate and you should be getting your pair assuming your credit report passes the muster.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 14, 2012 at 7:46 pm
Old Apr 15, 2012, 5:52 am

Programs: A few
deleted

Last edited by ma91pmh; Apr 16, 2012 at 7:34 am Reason: deleted
Old Apr 15, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!

Thanks for the detailed answers!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 9:05 pm

Better offer?

So is the better offer the $150 statement credit with passes or the $100 statement credit with companion pass?

The companion would seem to more than make up the difference if there arent too many restrictions. Has anyone got the pass yet to see the details?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA
AA Biz MC: 35K Mile bonus + $100 Statement Credit

Just applied for AA Business Mastercard. Highlights:
+ 35K miles bonus + $100 statement credit
+ Must spend $1500 in first 3 months to get bonus
+ Double miles on all AA purchases first year

Got immediate response -- was told to call. Did so and offer was confirmed on telephone. Here's the link:

https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-...ge-mastercard/
steve
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:41 pm

Does anyone know if the AA Visa Business card can generate Virtual Card Numbers if I create an account online?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by fr33b13
Does anyone know if the AA Visa Business card can generate Virtual Card Numbers if I create an account online?
Nope.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by fr33b13
Originally Posted by geclub1
Nope.
Bummer, guess it's only for the personal AA Visa then.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 5:07 pm
Suspended

there are some reports of previous CITI AA AMEX & VISA ( 19 MONTHS AND OLDER ) getting rejected for new of the same cards in millionmilesecrets.

maybe it used to be that you could get new one after 18-20 months but no more i guess. they are cracking down it seems for trying to rip them off of multiple bonuses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.