Reload this Page >

"If I ran FlyerTalk..."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"If I ran FlyerTalk..."

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Two reasons I participate FAR less.

1) Moderation has become terrible - locking threads, merging threads, deleting posts - and discussing or disagreeing with any of it can get you suspended - feels like North Korea

2) Too many irrelevant posts by some members which clog up otherwise good discussions - rate limit posts
Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by beltway
I agree with the general sentiment here, but OP status seems like a pretty poor proxy for overall helpfulness/value to the community. Plenty of people add value not by starting threads, but rather by providing useful replies, maintaining wikis, etc. Others have suggested upthread the idea of liking or up/downvoting posts, which seems like a better metric.
Excellent points, beltway.

I think we are talking about two different types of value -- "discussion starters" and "helpfulness". Communities need both, so it would be great if FT could recognize both....just as FT recognizes longevity and high post counts.

It seems to me that counting replies to recognize "discussion starters" is something that could be done using data FT already has, while measuring "helpfulness" would require implementing a new mechanism (such as a "like" button).
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
If I ran FlyerTalk, I would make it possible to upload pics directly rather than via third party site.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dorian
Two reasons I participate FAR less.

1) Moderation has become terrible - locking threads, merging threads, deleting posts - and discussing or disagreeing with any of it can get you suspended - feels like North Korea

2) Too many irrelevant posts by some members which clog up otherwise good discussions - rate limit posts
I always that one reason for moderation was to help with 2).
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slopeboy40
If I ran FlyerTalk, I would make it possible to upload pics directly rather than via third party site.
And if you ran FlyerTalk you would know that you can do that now.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
New threads about a real time issue (example "flight 106 cancelled") that lack a date should either be deleted or have the date added to the title. This is the kind of proactive moderation that we need more of.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by slopeboy40
You can do this now. Just click the little paper clip icon, and follow the steps.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by IBobi
Hi FTers,

We are soliciting ways to improve the community and site experience.

Complete the sentence, "If I ran FlyerTalk..."

-The FT Team
I'd fix the mobile app but you know that

This mobile site flat out sucks

Also as one who uses good omni daily

I would get rid of both good Omni and bad omni

I enjoy good omni

I think bad omni makes normally good FTers idiots when they venture into bad omni

However they both do nothing for FT

Add me to the list
Moderation needs to be fixed
I'm not sure of the solution but what we're doing now is not working

Last edited by TrojanHorse; Jul 23, 2016 at 2:35 pm
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
This post will get me banned.
  • Stop banning or suspending people for what they say. There's an ignore button, people here should use it. If that is too onerous for the snow flakes that are easily offended, then give mods the ability to censor a specific post, a specific user in a thread, or specific user in a forum, and given other users the power to read that which is censored. Just because a mod doesn't like what a user has to say, doesn't mean many more of us don't. It is so sad that the longer one is a user of FT, how inevitable it is that the user will get banned. Many users with great insights and thousands of posts are banned. Just look for old threads. They are filled with users who were banned years after they made great contributions.
  • Fix the issue of searching for three letter words. At least fix it so that official third letter airport codes and two letter airline codes.
  • Related to the above, automatically create links for three letter words that are known official airport codes and two letter words that are known official airline codes.
  • Have a mistake fare forum that requires a high bar to entry, ala OMNI.
  • Relax restrictions on what can be posted in coupon connection and root out the snitches. So AA is monitoring CC? Why should we care if people who make AA trades get their AA accounts frozen or deleted. Meanwhile get the AA snitches out of CC and out of FT.
  • Allow us to create polls without mod approval.
  • Allow us to create forums without talkboard approval.
  • When creating a thread, scan the initial post for URLs and if those URLs appear in the initial post of any other thread, then, don't allow the thread to be created, and offer to redirect the thread creator to the existing thread.

Last edited by mre5765; Jul 24, 2016 at 1:58 am
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Community moderation

I think the main purpose of FT is to share actionable information and intel. IMO far too often we have to weed through multiple posts of uninformed opinion, unqualified guessing, off-topic banter, and outright snark to get to anything useful.

There really needs to be a quality control identifier somehow built into Flyertalk. Maybe have a like/dislike button so individual posts with low community feedback can be hidden unless selected (a community activated ignore so to speak.) Only registered FTer's with xxx posts or time as members would qualify for this function.

SL
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
I would make much easier to introduce pictures in the post just by copy/paste pictures

I would make a home page based on my specific interests

I would have the ability to see topics I might be interested in

Il would see notifications/comments about my posts

I would rate people based on the quality of the posts, rated by others (likes).

I would have a press review on hotels/Airlines reviews

I would add a world map I could click on to see comments about hotels located in a specific area

Last edited by nicolas75; Jul 24, 2016 at 8:53 am
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by nicolas75

I would make a home page based on my specific interests
You can do that right now. Just click on "MyFlyerTalk" and subscribe to the forums which interest you. Then make it your home page.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Dovster
You can do that right now. Just click on "MyFlyerTalk" and subscribe to the forums which interest you. Then make it your home page.
Oups, thank you

Then I make functionalities clear and easy.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the way, I love FT and the fact that it is low tech/not perfect is certainly part of its charm.

You never feel being part of a huge big money maker but rather a real community.

Hope this dimension would never change.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:16 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I'm rather surprised by the number of comments regarding moderation because I can't say I've personally ever had an issue with moderation. So I don't have any insight to the possible problem, but this strikes me as an excellent suggestion.

Originally Posted by Dovster
Two issues have been repeatedly mentioned in this thread: TalkBoard and moderation.

Speaking as a former member of TalkBoard, I can confirm what Aristotle said: Nature abhors a vacuum. We established a member-elected governing board and gave it almost no authority. It can only recommend the establishment of new forums and establish rules which only apply to itself.

Hence, the TB members fill the vacuum by having silly fights about meaningless internal issues. FTers see this, find TB to be a joke, better FTers don't want to serve on it and not only are there fewer and fewer candidates each year but there are less people voting for TB.
I would suggest putting TalkBoard in charge of moderation, allowing it to establish the rules under which moderators work, and giving it authority to fire mods and appoint new ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.