Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

There's No Place Like Nome DO: Ode to the Alaskan Midnight Sun (June 21-24, 2012)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How many FlyerTalkers does it take to change a flat tire?
BOB W
3.85%
7.69%
20+
30.77%
What's a tire?
11.54%
What's a car?
19.23%
Call your Amex concierge
38.46%
Skykit!!!
7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

There's No Place Like Nome DO: Ode to the Alaskan Midnight Sun (June 21-24, 2012)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by DeltaWings
Mark me down as tentative as well if you don't mind a (really) young fella joining in the fun!
Most of the time we act like a bunch of kids anyway, so you should fit right in.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 6:05 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Silver
Please put me down as tentative +1. jackal and Bob, please let me know if I can help you organize anything from down here in Kenai and I'll definately volunteer to help in anything you guys need during the DO. I haven't been able to go to an Alaska DO for many years so I'm going to do my best to make it to this one.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 9:12 pm

I spend 4-6 days a month in Nome and can confirm that there is decent cell coverage (although the airport is a dead spot, incidentally). There is EDGE data service available. I have AT&T.

Also, AS frequently swaps equip on the OTZ/OME flights based on cargo, so don't be surprised if your intin goes from a combi to a 734 and back to a combi, etc. You never really know until you show up. There are 3 flights a day and 2 of the 3 are a combi.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
I'm making my very first trip to Alaska in October, so forgive me if I am missing something, but why are we flying to ANC from Fairbanks the night of the 22nd, only to fly to Nome in the early morning on the 23rd? Would it make more sense to spend an extra night in Fairbanks and fly directly from there to Nome?

Also, since Bob W has indicated that a young fella is welcome, you can mark me down as confirmed. I'll have a Master's degree in hand by June and will definitely be looking to celebrate!
Old Sep 2, 2011, 11:35 pm

why are we flying to ANC from Fairbanks the night of the 22nd, only to fly to Nome in the early morning on the 23rd?
There are no FAI-OME-FAI direct flights. They all go through ANC. I'll probably take one of the earlier flights back to ANC since we will be up very early the next morning.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I'm making my very first trip to Alaska in October, so forgive me if I am missing something, but why are we flying to ANC from Fairbanks the night of the 22nd, only to fly to Nome in the early morning on the 23rd? Would it make more sense to spend an extra night in Fairbanks and fly directly from there to Nome?

Also, since Bob W has indicated that a young fella is welcome, you can mark me down as confirmed. I'll have a Master's degree in hand by June and will definitely be looking to celebrate!
Unless you're a child prodigy and graduated high school at age 16 or something, you're not that much younger than some of us.

As Bob indicated, there are no direct ANC-OME flights. Staying the night in FAI would delay our arrival into OME until past noon (the morning FAI-ANC flight doesn't get in in time to connect to the morning ANC-OME flight), cutting out much of the time we wanted to spend seeing the OME area.

The other option was to leave FAI much earlier (3:30pm) and overnight a second night in OME. However, that cuts into our FAI sightseeing time substantially. Also, there isn't exactly a plethora of choices for lodging in OME (certainly no chain properties!), and given that many people would like to use hotel points to cover as much of their overnighting expenses as possible, allowing people to stay overnight in a big city like ANC substantially increases the options available (and even moreso in ANC than in FAI, which until this year was limited to two chain options: Marriott and Choice Hotels).

It also has the side effect of allowing the local organizers to overnight in their own houses, substantially decreasing their costs. This is not insignificant to at least two of the three local organizers.

I realize the short overnight allows for limited sleep; if anyone wants to take the earlier flight with Bob, by all means, you're welcome to. (Actually, a one-way intrastate award should allow a stopover in ANC, so you should be able to legitimately book an earlier flight from FAI to ANC. I don't know about paid flights, though; it might break it into two fares.)
Old Sep 3, 2011, 2:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by AKDan
Please put me down as tentative +1. jackal and Bob, please let me know if I can help you organize anything from down here in Kenai and I'll definately volunteer to help in anything you guys need during the DO. I haven't been able to go to an Alaska DO for many years so I'm going to do my best to make it to this one.
Great to have another local on-board

Not sure if we'll be heading south this time around, although could be fun to take a 7H hop down there. But look foreword to meeting another local
Old Sep 3, 2011, 2:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by upup&away
My tentative attendance can be changed to confirmed. Had a sizeable "appreciation certificate" available on UA/CO, which brought the fare down to a "pittance", and providing me with a not-so-shabby 6,338 MP miles.

Arriving ANC at 11.25pm on June 19, leaving on Monday morning, June 25, at 0.40am.

Should give me time to attend the Sunday night BBQ.

Of course, I will also attend all other scheduled events and if a group rate becomes available for the rail dome car, I will definitely go for that.

In fact, I will probably do the dome car, group rate or not.

Cheers
Schweet - glad to see another FTer committed...already! Seems we might have quite the crowd - perhaps we'll need to expand BOB W's deck again
Old Sep 3, 2011, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by LuckyDenver
I spend 4-6 days a month in Nome and can confirm that there is decent cell coverage (although the airport is a dead spot, incidentally). There is EDGE data service available. I have AT&T.

Also, AS frequently swaps equip on the OTZ/OME flights based on cargo, so don't be surprised if your intin goes from a combi to a 734 and back to a combi, etc. You never really know until you show up. There are 3 flights a day and 2 of the 3 are a combi.
Perhaps we'll have enough FTers that AS will have to upgauge to a 73H

Good to hear re AT&T in OME. Perhaps they might get a tower near the airport by next June.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 5:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by BOB W
There are no FAI-OME-FAI direct flights. They all go through ANC. I'll probably take one of the earlier flights back to ANC since we will be up very early the next morning.
Era's route map indicates that it has, or will, fly from Galena to Nome and they still do operate Fairbanks to Galena. So there may be a possibility next summer that there will be a more direct route from Fairbanks to Nome. Otherwise it also may be possible to go through, say, Kotzebue but that would require switching airlines and most likely be expensive with inconvenient scheduling.

In addition to jackal's reasons for choosing those AS flights, any other route may be more expensive anyways. Though I will say, it may be beneficial to book Era between Fairbanks and Anchorage if it makes sense to do so, as you won't have to deal with TSA.

As for the Alaska Railroad, my experience is limited to taking it from Fairbanks to Denali, then continuing on to Anchorage. This was in mid July in Adventure/Coach class a few years ago. We were seated in the dome car, with only a few other people. The actual dome never did completely fill up, though they did make announcements to rotate out to let others come up, but that wasn't ever an issue. It did provide a great view. I could see the GoldStar car, and it was packed with people. My "open viewing deck" had maybe two other people use it (the open windows at the doors) while I was there. Overall I didn't see any reason to upgrade to GoldStar, though maybe others have had different experiences and I was just lucky that I had a great time.

Picture from the Adventure Class dome shortly after leaving Denali.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 1:33 pm

Put me down as tentative and I will confirm closer to the DO.

I would be interested in all portions of the activities.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BOB W
Originally Posted by jackal
I realize the short overnight allows for limited sleep; if anyone wants to take the earlier flight with Bob, by all means, you're welcome to. (Actually, a one-way intrastate award should allow a stopover in ANC, so you should be able to legitimately book an earlier flight from FAI to ANC. I don't know about paid flights, though; it might break it into two fares.)
Upon consideration of the above (I had forgotten that a forced overnight isn't necessary, as a one-way intrastate award allows a stopover in ANC, so flight time doesn't matter for those booking this as an award), I've moved us to the 5:00pm flight out of Fairbanks. This'll cut out a little bit of usable sightseeing time in FAI, but then again, most of the touristy things worth seeing are done with after 5pm anyway.

AFAIK, beckoa, CDKing, and I are the only ones who have confirmed tickets for the intra-Alaska portion of the trip yet, and we're all Gold, so we can change our tickets at will. If anyone else has already booked that 8:55pm flight, let me know and I'll reconsider the change...

I don't foresee any other changes in the future to the flight itinerary unless we discover some major issue that is affecting most of you guys being able to book something...
Old Sep 3, 2011, 8:43 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
That seems like a much more reasonable schedule. I'm still tentative, but keeping a close eye on this one.

As an aside, if I use my (Gold) miles to book an award reservation for a non-status passenger, is that ticket changeable without a fee? I suspect not but may be booking a +1 and trying to figure out when I can commit.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by baliktad
As an aside, if I use my (Gold) miles to book an award reservation for a non-status passenger, is that ticket changeable without a fee? I suspect not but may be booking a +1 and trying to figure out when I can commit.
Actually, I believe the miles are "Golden"--meaning the ticket is fully changeable, no matter who is traveling...
Old Sep 4, 2011, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by jackal
I've moved us to the 5:00pm flight out of Fairbanks. This'll cut out a little bit of usable sightseeing time in FAI, but then again, most of the touristy things worth seeing are done with after 5pm anyway.
But it will allow more time for the pre-BBQ prep before we head for OME.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.