Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Originally Posted by percysmith
Please don't tell me you let CLP autodebit your ***bank*** account...all the miles forgone...

Even autodebit on Amex card is bad, they don't have MR points anymore http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=4905
I do use autopay on CLP as my electricity bill is typically not large anyway (usually less than $800) and I figure out even if I convert to miles, even take an average bill of $800 per 2 mths will only be worth like 100 miles at most at a conversion rate of $8 per mile.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:18 am

Note - only one of {dining | dept store | supermarkets }. Not all three.

AAVS - actually your Citibank Premiermiles also earns $8/mile on AAVS, but I don't like Citibank's long-standing rule that an Octopus can only be recharged for $250 a day - Shacom allows $500.

$500 useful when you are paying for the 11 colleagues' work meals by Octopus or decide to pick up a dozen Haagen-Dazs bars at 7-eleven (I do if I need to earn a lot of promotion tokens quickly).
I know there's only 1 option...that's why I use dining or dept store or supermarkets transactions only.

I used Citibank PM for the AAVS previously but there was some issues related to the card a few years ago, which resulted in Citibank issuing a new card. So, I have to transfer it to HSBC.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:33 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
I do use autopay on CLP as my electricity bill is typically not large anyway (usually less than $800) and I figure out even if I convert to miles, even take an average bill of $800 per 2 mths will only be worth like 100 miles at most at a conversion rate of $8 per mile.
200 miles now. And at $4/mile you'll be looking for bills to pay in advance.

At least you will let the merchant earn the amount eventually...we did discuss over at hongkongcard.com whether we can overpay merchants and then refund...I thought that was not only ethically grey, but also asking for (admin) trouble http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=5503.

But skwchan noted:

In the old days when paying tax would get your points (not any more now), I know people over paid on purpose and then waited for Inland Revenue Dept to refund. They got big points. I am talking about HKD few hundred thousand. But when the amount is too big, I know the IRD complained to the credit card company.

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 3, 2011 at 9:39 am
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:39 pm

200 miles now. And at $4/mile you'll be looking for bills to pay in advance.

At least you will let the merchant earn the amount eventually...we did discuss over at hongkongcard.com whether we can overpay merchants and then refund...I thought that was not only ethically grey, but also asking for (admin) trouble http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=5503.
At HK$4/miles and the fact that I can also use the card for rates payment (maybe just pay it for a year in advance), TownGas and Water Supply (the smallest) will increase the incentive for me to apply for the Diamond Card.

There were a couple of instances when I overpay (ie: paying the bill again without realizing that I have used auto-pay) and there were no complaints from CLP.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:25 pm

At HK$4/miles and the fact that I can also use the card for rates payment (maybe just pay it for a year in advance), TownGas and Water Supply (the smallest) will increase the incentive for me to apply for the Diamond Card.

There were a couple of instances when I overpay (ie: paying the bill again without realizing that I have used auto-pay) and there were no complaints from CLP.
Of course not. What do you expect them to do? Refund?
Old Aug 4, 2011, 2:21 pm

Visa Fly Taxi - crappy card terminals...

I managed to call in a Fly Visa Cab an hour ago.

The driver was very co-operative. Was aware we had 20% rebate from Dah Sing and was willing to help.

However his terminal was well and truly broken. Even after ten or so tries between two cards over 7 minutes I wasn't able to get the terminal to work. Not even pulling the card terminal out and plugging it in was any help. Ended up paying cash.

The merchant acquirer for Autotaxi/Fly Visa taxi is Dah Sing. I'm not happy at Dah Sing for distributing crappy terminals that break so shortly after Visa Fly Taxi's been introduced.

The cabbie swore his terminal was working this morning, although he had to use the magnetic stripe for tonight's other Visa transaction. However, with my two Dah Sing cards (magenetic stripe and EMV chip only; no Paywave), when we attempted to use the magnetic stripe, we're prompted to use the chip instead -- might be something to the with the Cardholder Verification Method list on the Dah Sing cards being different from the other passenger's Visa card.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 3:12 am

Programs: Marco Polo
Originally Posted by dietevil
...BankComm Diamond CUP...
Finally got here. percysmith, does BankComm send the online banking password to you automatically after activation?
Old Aug 5, 2011, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by dietevil
Finally got here. percysmith, does BankComm send the online banking password to you automatically after activation?
Oh I forgot to mention - if you activate it online at www.bankcomm.com.hk, you get to set your internet password right away. Otherwise you have to set one at the branch.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: MPO, Aeroplan, SPG
I just received a letter from Bankcom saying that my wife's supplementary card got rejected, but I don't know if MY application got rejected. I'm pretty sure it wont, but never know.

My wife doesn't hold a HKID, but ill go call them and ask whats up.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: Marco Polo
Oh I forgot to mention - if you activate it online at www.bankcomm.com.hk, you get to set your internet password right away. Otherwise you have to set one at the branch.
Wow. I didn't think it was possible for someone to have a more troublesome setup than DBS. As I recall, DBS sent us a password. Then we had to use that password to register a mobile phone number. Then we had to wait for another letter to confirm the registered phone number with yet another password.

Going to a branch is pretty 20th century.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Back in 2006 setting up DBS e-banking is easy: go to ATM, set your mobile number, set an initial Internet password , then signup online u are done
Old Aug 6, 2011, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

There's a clause saying if u are under quota for the DBS$ requires they will charge you HKD 2 per DBS$, assuming someone just joined and desprately need the miles then 1740 HKD for 15K miles isnt bad at all
Holy cow

http://dbs3.esdlife.com/blackbazaar/en/

15,000 Asia Miles

Final Bidding Price:
DB$ 930
(Up from DB$ 875 first reported)

30,000 miles go on auction on 31 Aug 2011
Old Aug 6, 2011, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
well luckily I have skipped that and moved on. Just transferred 33000 AM from DBS to AsiaMiles for my mum's HKG-YYZ in J

if the 30K AM comes at HKD 0.2 per miles it's still a nice deal if and only if you doing Long Haul J or F
Old Aug 6, 2011, 6:23 am

I just submitted my application for both the BankComm CUP Diamond & ShaComm Platinum Visa.

Received HK$50 Wellcome voucher upon submission and there's apparently a promotion going on whereby there's a bonus 3,000 AM being awarded for spending HK$3,000 in the first two months of card issuance. Should be able to fulfill that from meals alone This is for the ShaComm Platinum Visa.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 9:28 am

Wirelessly posted (Palm850/V0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

I just submitted my application for both the BankComm CUP Diamond & ShaComm Platinum Visa.

Received HK$50 Wellcome voucher upon submission and there's apparently a promotion going on whereby there's a bonus 3,000 AM being awarded for spending HK$3,000 in the first two months of card issuance. Should be able to fulfill that from meals alone This is for the ShaComm Platinum Visa.
Huh? the standard deal is 5,000 miles www.bankcomm.com.hk/mediafiles/documents/CUPAppform.pdf - are you getting short changed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.