Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of Iris? [effective 17 September 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by adl73x
This is what I'm most concerned about. As an Australian I am registered for IRIS and find it very convenient - much more so than the "All Other Passports" queues. Australian passports are biometrically chipped, but I doubt the eChip readers will be available to non-EU citizens.

I'd love to be told otherwise....? :-:
Sadly not. I've actually rung immigration at LHR T1 and asked just this and was told it was only available to EEA passport-holders.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 2:16 pm
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
And when Iris goes, obviously, it should be made available to those fulfilling existing Iris criteria. The reasons why are perfectly clear to all reading these pages. This is UK plc speaking.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question

One machine open at T3 today. The other was being fixed so clearly someone still has money somewhere to keep it running.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 3:25 pm
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
I know not, but I imagine the contract was up this year, Labour committed itself to new contracts, Iris doesn't work in natural-light environments (eg. Stansted) -- so there's a problem, and with the change in government, Labour's original e-borders is, by definition, being re-assessed (remember, they wanted to de facto end the Common Travel Area), and ministers are hard at work with their staffs implementing immigration rules.

I would suggest, though, that now is the right time to advocate that those holding ease-of-entry access to the UK now under Iris should not lose that status once Iris is replaced with something else, under Labour's e-borders, or whatever that policy is at the current time.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Platinum
Similar sounding name causing me problems

Originally Posted by Competency
When I registered for Iris at T5 last week I was told that it was uncertain for how much longer it would be used. Problems with the Echip reader system has led to Iris remaining open for the time being.
I love using Iris, it is quick and easy. If it goes, then I will have a problem because before using Iris, I tried my e-chip passport on many occasions via the automatic unmanned entry at LHR and LGW, and each time it failed and admittedly I was given assistance and guided through, it was mentioned each time that "your card is not being accepted by the machine because you have a similar sounding name to someone else"????? Each time I asked what this meant I was told that they were probably trying to contact another person with a similar sounding name and there was nothing at all that could be done with mine. I find this all a bit strange, I am English, have a normal name, surname is Clark, and there must be hundreds of thousands of instances where Mr John Smith, Fred Brown, or whatever has "similar" sounding names. Nobody at the airport seems to be able to offer a real answer as to how it can be sorted out, so if Iris goes, I'll have to queue up all day!
Old Feb 22, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, BMI Diamond Silver, SPG, Fairmont Presidents club
only one machine operational at t5 this evening, i love iris it saves time
Old Feb 22, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
Originally Posted by aacline
my spouse who is a British citizen and I [...] my spouse whizzes through Passport Control, he will have to wait at least 45 minutes for me negotiate all the hurdles because I carry a Canadian passport.
My wife's a US citizen and a UKBA official at LHR told us that we are allowed to pass through the EU lanes when we're travelling together. (Not tried it yet though!)
Old Feb 22, 2011, 6:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex and some hotels
Originally Posted by drcasio
only one machine operational at t5 this evening, i love iris it saves time
I concur at about 19:30 Left machine operational, right machine not. Well, I say not, but the green arrow on the outside was on and pointing to the entrance, but someone had decided to leave on of those crowd barrier things there, despite the system seeming to be OK.

To the poster above who mentioned about waving the passport about - very true! Although my usual experience is with people who just haven't registered or don't seem to be aware of where the mirror/ camera is, I recently stood behind a gentleman who just stuck his passport on the camera bit that you're supposed to look into. The machine eventually kicked him out, but he insisted on standing right by the door and going back in, only to do the same thing again. I nearly p***ed myself when I heard the "please move back a little" and he did so, only to lean forwards to reach to put his passport back on the mirror. Eventually he got kicked out again, and I mentioned that he needed to be registered, "yes, yes I am. It usually works fine for me" he retorted to me (with a slightly embarrassed sneer), but I just walked passed him and went in, one quick shutter noise later and I was through ^ I didn't look back, but I suspect he'd jumped in again to try waving his passport at it again. Not sure how he'd managed to get it working "just fine" for him on other occasions

Anyway, I hope it stays. Anyone fancy organising one of those No 10 petition thingys?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 9:14 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by stueys
Stay right over the passport desks, so walk past IRIS, walk past the EU desks and then you'll see three machines with flashing lights. Normally accompanied by a nice lady who tries to steer people to use them.
She had to steer me to a man at a desk when I came through T5 a couple of weeks ago, because the machines didn't work for me. The bloke at the desk made great play of rubbing various parts of my photo page before waving me through. Both IRIS machines were down at the time. I can get through IRIS within a few seconds now - I've learned to gauge how far away to stand pretty much before the picture comes up. It's a shame if it goes.

BTW - anyone here a member of Global Entry for the US? I'm sorely tempted to pony up the $100 to avoid the queues at JFK, although I'll probably end up queuing for the same amount of time - just at baggage reclaim rather than immigration.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by FenLandK
She had to steer me to a man at a desk when I came through T5 a couple of weeks ago, because the machines didn't work for me. The bloke at the desk made great play of rubbing various parts of my photo page before waving me through. Both IRIS machines were down at the time. I can get through IRIS within a few seconds now - I've learned to gauge how far away to stand pretty much before the picture comes up. It's a shame if it goes.

BTW - anyone here a member of Global Entry for the US? I'm sorely tempted to pony up the $100 to avoid the queues at JFK, although I'll probably end up queuing for the same amount of time - just at baggage reclaim rather than immigration.
From the Global Entry website:

Global Entry is open to U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, Dutch citizens, and Mexican nationals.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 6:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by ajax
Sadly not. I've actually rung immigration at LHR T1 and asked just this and was told it was only available to EEA passport-holders.
Currently that is the case. However a guy at Iris registration desk told me a while ago that there is likely to be a paid-for automated entry system for non-EEA passport holders sometime in the future.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 6:09 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by HilFly

Global Entry is open to U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, Dutch citizens, and Mexican nationals.
Bu....

Missed that.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL;
I will miss the IRIS dance, move forward a little, move back a little.. And the answer phone recording of "thank you"
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by HilFly

With regard to non-US persons, US DHS management clowns seem intent upon eventually expanding that GE facility to include select UK citizens under the typical type of relationship DHS has pursued with Privium for its customers in the Netherlands. In typical self-dealing fashion of the "security" industry types looking for kickbacks upon use of the revolving door between the public and private sectors, expect this expansion of GE to happen when there's money on the horizon for former government types.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 23, 2011 at 4:23 pm
Old Feb 23, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hhonors Silver, BA Blue
Originally Posted by potfish
My wife's a US citizen and a UKBA official at LHR told us that we are allowed to pass through the EU lanes when we're travelling together. (Not tried it yet though!)
A couple of years ago my wife (a US citizen) and I used to travel back and forth from Europe through LGW and I never had a problem taking her through the EU lanes with me (we didn't bother signing up for IRIS/Privium, mainly because more often than not it looked like the machines were knackered.)

Last edited by Ian_C; Feb 23, 2011 at 2:49 pm Reason: clarity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.