Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
AA1310 ORD-MSY 8/21 - No PBD's offered. Plenty of beverages and refills inflight but nothing on the ground.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: NZ*G, AA CK
08/08 AA 2250 DFW-LAX Water only.

Pax next to me was an AA VP. On the flight he consumed no less than 6 double screwdrivers. Good start to the working day.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by ZiggyNZ

Pax next to me was an AA VP. On the flight he consumed no less than 6 double screwdrivers. Good start to the working day.
.....that's how we laugh the day away in the merry old land of Oz.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:37 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-MSP
E175 Republic/MIA based crew and nothing offered for PDB with plenty of time. Service was fine once in-flight though.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
8/17/17 AA 396 LAX/SEA No PDB
8/21/17 AA 396 SEA/LAX No PDB

In both cases there was enough time to do a PDB service.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: UA-SIL MR-TIT HYT-GBL IHG-PLT HH-DIA WYN-PLT AMEX-PLT
8/20 DCA-ORD AA 1079 LAA 738 Dinner flight. No PDB from a young crew.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
OMA to DFW, flight 1286. FA was finishing what appeared to be an iced coffee. Made a few announcements. Did not provide PDBs.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by schertz
8/20 DCA-ORD AA 1079 LAA 738 Dinner flight. No PDB from a young crew.
That plane spent 40 minutes on the gate in DCA and was delayed over an hour and 20 minutes due to the the inbound being delayed.

Sounds like the crew sacrificed PBD to get you guys out sooner and maybe facilitate some people possibly making their connections in Chicago. ^
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat
No alcoholic PDB in PHX? (to merge PDB thread)

I recently flew PHX-LAS in F and the FA refused to give me a beer as a PDB. Do I recall seeing something a while back that there was a lawsuit against the airlines for overserving a passenger who ended up killing someone and as a result, they no longer serve alcohol on the ground in PHX? Or is it more likely that the FA was just lazy?

And, before anyone makes an incorrect assumption, it was not because I was visibly intoxicated since I had nothing to drink beforehand (and she served me a beer later once we were in the air).
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I've never had an issue getting something alcoholic as a PDB departing PHX.....I thought it was New Mexico that has some sort of issue with it.....this probably could go in the PDB thread.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I've never had an issue getting something alcoholic as a PDB departing PHX......
Nor have I. I was there a couple of months back, and full bar was on offer to the entire F cabin pre-departure.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Never an issue. Perhaps the flight attendant just forgot or just was being lazy. Who knows.

Was the plane late departing? Sometimes when it is they won't do a PDB service to "expedite" departure.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM (Lifetime Gold); Marriott Gold; National Exec Emerald's
Never an issue for me either - any time of day.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by ZiggyNZ

Hopefully beginning a vacation or at least a day away from his work responsibilities...
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, JetSmarter, Global Entry, CLEAR
Cool

8/21 SNA - PHX No drinks served. One person was asked what he would like and then it was never brought, and not one else was asked. Once in the air we were provided with multiple drinks as well as the snack basket

8/21 PHX - PHL (red eye) Full drinks served before take off. One airborne we also got multiple drinks as well as warmed nuts and a warm chocolate chip cookie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.