Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Predeparture Beverages: When, What and Why not?

NOTE: Due to PDB service cancellation, this thread will rest until PDB resumption.
Older posts can be read in the archived thread here.

Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB

Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Thanks to RogerD408

Print Wikipost

Predeparture Drinks / Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not? (consolidated)

Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
In the world of Doug Parker itís not important. Itís more important to rip out new AVOD to shove in more seats so the Wall Street morons think you are a genius. To be somewhat fair itís mostly a LAA issue but he doesnít seem to be inclined to solve it. I guess heíll be spending a portion of his time deciding what ACs get shuttered next. BNA and particularly PIT ACs have a questionable future.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: AA Gold
AA 2619 (9/3), ATL-DFW, PDB Served

Seems like I get PDBs in the morning when I donít want alcohol but canít get a nice stiff drink on a Friday afternoon. Or maybe itís just confirmation bias
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
AA 1608 on 9/4
DFW-LGA

no PDB AT ALL......on time departure.....so pathetic.

why do pilots get a PDB but paid FC customers just sit there??

also this same ďlargeĒ pilot was sure to be off the plane even before FC customers....so ridiculous.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Sep 4, 2018 at 1:05 pm
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
8/31 AA2793 MIA-DEN No PDB. My last AA flight on this route and I was hoping for some redemption, but no. All the time in the world to have done it - catering was done, yes, er were delayed but there were still 20 minutes of down time with door open while FAs talked.

I've moved these flights to DL (yes, via ATL) for the rest of the year - the DL forum has a similar thread but it's not nearly as active as this one. Look forward to seeing if it really is better on the other side.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by zpaul
8/31 AA2793 MIA-DEN No PDB. My last AA flight on this route and I was hoping for some redemption, but no. All the time in the world to have done it - catering was done, yes, er were delayed but there were still 20 minutes of down time with door open while FAs talked.

I've moved these flights to DL (yes, via ATL) for the rest of the year - the DL forum has a similar thread but it's not nearly as active as this one. Look forward to seeing if it really is better on the other side.
good! I DMed AA and all they say is gee sorry weíll forward it on.
zpaul likes this.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Sep 4, 2018 at 1:23 pm
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by zpaul

PDBs are not an issue with DL and UA, IME. I suspect there are other issues with AA which would prompt connecting through ATL I tried this approach last year and after a few connections in ATL... promptly returned to AA. While DL's PDB thread might be shorter, check out their "Shena" thread...
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
9/5 AA 1260 SFO-DFW: OJ and Water only.

Asked for vodka and was told they donít have any right now. Canít win with these FA!

Next guy also as for vodka and got the say response. He has some rather choiceful words to say to her and it wasted an utter either!!

Last edited by Zacnlinc; Sep 6, 2018 at 2:07 am
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
9/4/18, AA 2205 LAX/HNL, full PDB! The guy sitting next to me had a gin and tonic. I had water.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
AA 193 - LAX-HKG - LAA B773 - J-Class - 9/4 - PDB of OJ/water/champagne/mimosa offered in plastic glasses on tray.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:40 pm

9/1/2018 - AA (Envoy) 4064 ORD/XNA - PDB offered... crew was fine, only one round of drinks but two passes with the snack basket... lots of passengers in the back seemed to be headed to Razorbacks season opener, they might have been boozing it up but no one in first was

9/4/2018 - AA (Envoy) 4064 XNA/ORD - PDB offered... fun FAs, one was on her first trip and got a round of applause. Senior FA kept my water filled the whole flight.

9/4/2018 AA 2499 ORD/DCA - Full PDB offered... saw whiskey and wines being served... awesome FAs were VERY generous with the booze throughout the short flight.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
9/5 AA 1260 SFO-DFW: OJ and Water only.

Asked for vodka and was told they dont have any right now.
me to FA: would you like me to show you in which drawer in the Bev cart the vodka is located ?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
me to FA: would you like me to show you in which drawer in the Bev cart the vodka is located ?
IKR!! They guy in 7L (me in 6L) wasn't happy at all. Even once we were airborne and the FA serving the drinks for PDB was in Y, he was adamant to know why she was "up here" and perhaps she didn't know xyz. But the J FAs took care of us indeed.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
9/6 AA 1818 RDU-CLT A-320: Full PDB
9/6 AA 1775 CLT-DCA A-319: Full PDB

The first flight was of course a short turn around, we boarded 15 minutes later and we were on a single aisle aircraft and yet...we got the full PDB.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Just did a r/t SHV-DFW-LAX-HKG. Got full PDBs on each leg!

The First FA on AA581, my DFW-LAX flight, offered me not one, not two, but *FIVE* PDBs as we sat on the ground for a lengthy weather delay. Service was continuous throughout the delay. Other pax were offered even more; I just drank slower. She also did not stop once during the flight; service was excellent and continuous.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Wow! Hope you send a note to AA!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.