Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: AA HKG / Hong Kong Int’l. Airport Connections, MCT, Arrival & Departure, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Link to HKG Airport information on aa.com, including ticket / check-in counter hours.

Link to HKG Airport information

MCT is 1:00 for through same ticket connections where your baggage has been checked through.

NOTE that connecting with separate tickets may require you to process immigration, collect baggage and process customs, then checking in with your departure airline and processing security. One hour will not suffice.

Check-in: Ticket counter Terminal 1 (This location does not accept cash)
  • Flight 126 - Daily: 12:15 p.m. - 2:45 p.m.
  • Flight 192 - Daily: 4:40 p.m. - 6:40 p.m

At HKG, Terminal 1 one can also check in earlier at the “Self check-in” purple highlighted kiosks available at Terminal 1; select the AA display. You should also be able to update your airline FFP and number at this time.

Passengers carrying only hand luggage can then proceed directly to immigration, while those with check-in luggage may drop their bag(s) at the Bag Drop Counter located just steps away from the kiosks.

"Special notice

If you are taking the Airport Express, you can enjoy the convenient free in-town check-in (Airport Express Station) service in Hong Kong and Kowloon Stations to check in between 90 minutes and within the same day of the departure date." (aa.com - current 25 Jan 2018)
Print Wikipost

Guide: AA HKG / Hong Kong Int’l. Airport Connections, MCT, Arrival & Departure, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:18 pm

Question regarding connection in Hong Kong / HKG from AA to CX

Hello everyone,

I called AA and spoke to five agents and non were able to give me a straight answer.

I'm flying to Kuala Lumpur from DFW on AA. First leg is on AA and from HK to Kuala Lumpur on CX. There is a notation in my AA itinerary stating I nend to check in with the operating carrier in HK, which is CX.

I'd like to know if I have to leave arrivals, pass through immigration and onto departures to check back in for the HK to K.L. flight? If I dont, then where do I pick up my boarding pass? Will luggage be transferred or do I have to pick it up and recheck it?

Thanks for any info provided.

Last edited by Agustinl71; Jan 23, 2016 at 3:39 pm
Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:23 pm

HKG has behind-security transfer. You do not need to go outside for your next flight.

When you check in at DFW, have your agent check you and your bags all the way through to KUL, including getting you the KUL boarding pass issued in DFW. When you land in HKG, follow signs to connect to the next flight.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
even if you don't get your boarding pass in dfw, you can pick it up in hkg transit desk.

When you deplane in HKG, take a note of where you are and where the departing gate is, you may want to take the APM to clear transit security (there are two check points on either end of the airport) closer to the departing gate or lounge you want to kill time at.

There should be CX transit desks that can issue (or reissue) your boarding pass if you didnt get one in DFW before each both transit security checkpoints
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:58 pm

Thank you for your informative replies, much better than and useful that than the AA reps.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:41 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Connecting to CX in Hong Kong is a simple process. Don't stress in the least bit as it is about the most organized transfer you will experience.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:22 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Also be aware that you have to go through security to connect so don't bring your water bottle from the plane (if you were lucky enough to get one)
Old Jan 24, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by estnet
Also be aware that you have to go through security to connect so don't bring your water bottle from the plane (if you were lucky enough to get one)
Yes! I see many people get caught by this. No water allowed in carry-one at all.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by estnet
Thanks for that info but I know I'm flying American so no worries about the water bottles :-) I've flown on American internationally a couple times in Economy, never to SE Asia, I'm packing my own snacks, water and a few McDonald's cheeseburgers in my carry-on for the trip.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
For issues like this, no point calling AA and asking a random agent. Odds are few to none of them have transited HKG themselves. But as others have said, HKG may be the most pleasant transit experience in the world.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 3:48 am

Programs: Alaska MVG Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hiima
Does AA participate in Hong Kong e-channel now that they fly there?
Data point: On my most recent trip to HK (Feb 2016), I was approved for e-Channel based on my AA platinum card.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Agustinl71
Hello everyone,

I called AA and spoke to five agents and non were able to give me a straight answer.

I'm flying to Kuala Lumpur from DFW on AA. First leg is on AA and from HK to Kuala Lumpur on CX. There is a notation in my AA itinerary stating I nend to check in with the operating carrier in HK, which is CX.

I'd like to know if I have to leave arrivals, pass through immigration and onto departures to check back in for the HK to K.L. flight? If I dont, then where do I pick up my boarding pass? Will luggage be transferred or do I have to pick it up and recheck it?

Thanks for any info provided.
Be advised HKG require transit visas for lot of countries. If ur US citizen than ur fine.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by crammer
Data point: On my most recent trip to HK (Feb 2016), I was approved for e-Channel based on my AA platinum card.
Just plat ? I thought it was only top tier
For how long you're approved ?
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: Alaska MVG Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CGRA
Just plat ? I thought it was only top tier
For how long you're approved ?
Yes, I am but a lowly AA PLT. Because the official webpage does not specify top tier only, I thought I'd give it a try.

The immigration agent told me that e-Channel access is good until the expiration date of my passport (which is a US passport, in case that isn't clear).
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Any idea if gold will be accepted? I'm gonna be gold next year and ell be going to hk, within the next year.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by crammer
Interesting, i will be Platinum by the time I take transit through HK. What is the benefit of E-Channel if you don't mind answering my question. Would it be of benefit for someone like me that will be transiting through HK 2 or 3 times a year for the next 4 or 5 years, I am a US Passport holder if it matters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.