Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Miles "with no expiration" to be converted to normal miles, with 25% bonus Nov 1 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles "with no expiration" to be converted to normal miles, with 25% bonus Nov 1 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 777lover
Not happy here. Re read the letter form Michael gunn way back when saying they would never expire and you could continue to redeem on the old rules. .
Been through this with DL a few years back and I was livid when they demonstrated that they had lied in their prior communications about those miles never expiring as long as you maintained elite status. I had half a million old DL miles which were far more valuable than Skypesos.

Only have 38K old AA miles, but this will certainly spur me to use
them (probably on a 50% off first award) before the deadline.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 5:02 pm

I did like the silly existence of the non-expiring miles. I suppose all good things must come to an end.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 5:06 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by brp
Apparently no one gives a damn
It's more likely that there just aren't that many people who are materially affected. The few who are (e.g., me) give somewhat of a damn but realize that fighting the change is probably not the best use of our time.

All things being equal, Old Miles are at least 60% more valuable, but all things are not equal.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, UA, DL, AS, HH Silver, PC Gold
Would have been nice to have the bonus be 25% (if not more) million miler miles. They were that type when they were earned. If they are going to throw us a bone for the loss of expiration, would have been nice if they were based on the type of miles earned.

Still have all of mine left since I only had 9949 when the program changed in 1989. Would be nice to be able to convert 64 miles w/ expiration to the 51 miles I need w/ no expiration.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:09 pm

My email also said - On November 1, the original AAdvantage award structure will be discontinued, however, you can still redeem miles for awards from our current structure at AA.com/redeem.

Hmmmmmm....new structure for awards.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by kayjay
Some examples of advantageous use of non-expiring Advantage miles.
each of the below is round trip for two. Some of the awards to cities in Europe are no longer valid because AA not longer flies to the specified country.

170K miles
Concorde tickets on BA between either New York or Washington, DC, and London

150K miles
US - Tokyo business class
US - Tokyo first class (seasonal)
US - Caracas first class
120K miles
US - Belgium, France, Germany, Great Britain (Italy/Rome is not included)
10K miles
Upgrade to first class from any coach class ticket not having an advance purchase requirement, not including Hawaii. This for 1 ticket not 2
I recall reading in a discussion on this before that if you had at least 1/2 of the "old" miles needed for an old award, the remainder could be deducted from "new" miles and the "old" award issued. If true, several of the posters here could use the 10K award above - and IIFC that applied to Y -> F even on three-class transcons - AND booked into F - no capacity control. Anyone have a similar recollection, or better yet, a link to a document stating as much?

EDIT: I just found a copy of the old awards: 10k was code 10A - requirement was a coach fare with no advance purchase requirement.

Last edited by Madison Guy; Jul 13, 2012 at 7:23 pm Reason: Addtl Info
Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by supergrandslam
I would be surprised if there is anyone still have those miles....
If there, never redeemed any AA miles in the past 20+ years?

I joined AAdvantage in early 90s ,so no idea about those non-expire miles.
I have over 200,000 of them.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by supergrandslam
I would be surprised if there is anyone still have those miles....
If there, never redeemed any AA miles in the past 20+ years?

I joined AAdvantage in early 90s ,so no idea about those non-expire miles.
Hmm, I think you will be surprised.

I have about 101,000 of the old miles, my wife has 121,000.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:39 pm

I have just over 100K of the old miles. It was my understanding that the 75A award was good for two first class tickets to Hawaii. I was going to use them in two or three years...looks like we'll have to go next year. Very disappointed that they will now expire, still have the letter saying they will always be good and never expire.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:41 pm

So the minimum "old" miles someone needs is 10,000 to even care about this?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:44 pm

This is a huge blow, I will loose about 600,000 miles we use the 75,000 for two First Class Tickets, now it is 150,000. In addition the old miles, included a free stopover. I had the equivelant of 13 Pairs of these 75,000. This is just wrong.

YTD Elite Qualifying Points 3,000
YTD Elite Qualifying Miles 5,500
YTD Elite Qualifying Segments 9
Miles Towards Elite Upgrades 3,500
Miles with No Expiration 986,747
Miles with Expiration Deferred Through Jan 11, 2014 1,775,417
500 Mile Upgrade Account Balance 35
Million Milersm Balance** 8,241,729
Program to Date Miles 8,437,164
Total Available Award Mileage + 2,762,164
+ Flights, awards and other eligible transactions processed within the last two weeks may not be reflected. Redeem Miles | Purchase Miles
** Million Miler Balance consists of 8,238,181 miles earned prior to Dec 1, 2011 and 3,548 miles earned since Dec 1, 2011.
AAdvantage Mileage Retention Policy
Old Jul 13, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta Sky Miles
Stopovers permitted on the old award structure?

As AA discontinued stopovers on award tickets a few years ago, I'm wondering if stopovers would be permitted on the pre-1989 "non-expiring" award structure.

Anyone know?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 7:27 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dayone
It's more likely that there just aren't that many people who are materially affected.
That wasn't what I was responding to, but I agree with this point as well

Cheers.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 8:13 pm

I'm another one of the few with over 200,000 still left. Gave AA my personal and business travel dollars, and saved these miles for my retirement enjoyment. (I'm there now). Still have many more expiring miles.

These miles are a result of two court settlements. The first froze the award chart and redmption terms. The second involved another issue, but in the settlement terms AA managed to sneak in a capacity control stipulation contrary to the terms of the first settlement. Just last week I tried to use these miles (speaking with a knowledgeable AA person) to no avail due to capacity controls.

As you can see from earlier posts, the 25 percent bonus comes nowhere near parity.

So the issue is.... Has bankruptcy relieved AA from its court ruled obligation? If so, why hasn't the communication we've received come clean with the truth behind this move?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Thanks FWAAA !
I've been looking for that info for years......Not much help from res agents @ AA since most weren't born till after..... LOL
I kept my 60K+ 'old' miles as a form of savings for a rainy day.....i guess that day has come. The legal ramifications of violating the original court order may take months even years if someone challenges it. The current AA management must have had this 'vetted' thru legal before declaring the change....or maybe some young turk just thought he could get away with it not considering that a violation of the legally bound agreement could delay the bankruptcy proceedings and cost the company millions....
Not willing to get 'screwed' any more than I am....I booked the 20G as in Gulf award, 20K OLD miles for a RT upgrade to Biz Class from any economy class ticket to NRT,
even took the young agent breath by surprise.... I would have chosen Singapore Air if it had not abandoned One World for Star Alliance years ago...

See you 'olde timers' in Tokyo !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.