Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Miles "with no expiration" to be converted to normal miles, with 25% bonus Nov 1 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles "with no expiration" to be converted to normal miles, with 25% bonus Nov 1 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2012, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know how to contact the executive offices to express displeasure about this mess? Phone number?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 6:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by burlax
Hard to tell what exactly it means without reading the whole opinion. Either way, the idea behind the lawsuits was that changes in the AAdvantage program do not apply to existing AA obligations under the program. Doing so is the only way to enxure that the program can be considered as a contract. Otherwise, if AA can at any moment change its already existing obligations by modifying terms and conditions, the program cannot be viewed as a contract at all.
I mostly posted the excerpt in response to the posters questioning whether old awards should be capacity controlled. That was the whole issue of Wolens v. AA, and the case was settled with the class members releasing AA from claims arising from that change. In accepting the settlement class members were required to attest:

I hereby declare under penalty of perjury that: (a) since May 1, 1988, on one or more occasions, I have attempted to make a reservation for travel using an Old Award on American Airlines and was unable to make such reservation(s) on the flight of my choice because no seats were available for frequent fliers.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
From AA's 4/24/2001 10-K (my bold):
Would be interesting to see how the words, "the AAdvantage Program," are defined in the settlement documents.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I appreciate your thoughtful analysis. I, too, am analytically minded and have come to quite a different conclusion...

...People who have a appreciable number of "old miles" have had a good long time to use them. Nothing lasts forever. Ask the folks at PanAm, PSA, Eastern or TWA about that. The smart thing, in my opinion, is to save up miles for an immediate need, then use them before they are gone for good.
When the courts pounded a stake through the financial heart of TWA, my TWA Aviators miles were reincarnated to American Airlines nonexpiring AAdvantage miles.

Now, American Airlines wants to destroy my AAdvantage nonexpiring miles, but, bring them back to life as "expiring AAdvantage nonexpiring miles with a 25% bonus.

When Maya was managing the AAdvantage frequent flyer program, I didn't have my AAdvantage nonexpiring miles, expire. Where is Maya when we need her?

Here is another viewpoint of where loyality programs go wrong.

Last edited by ceieoc; Aug 3, 2012 at 2:55 pm
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
Originally Posted by kayjay
Some examples of advantageous use of non-expiring Advantage miles.
each of the below is round trip for two. Some of the awards to cities in Europe are no longer valid because AA not longer flies to the specified country.

170K miles
Concorde tickets on BA between either New York or Washington, DC, and London

150K miles
US - Tokyo business class
US - Tokyo first class (seasonal)
US - Caracas first class
120K miles
US - Belgium, France, Germany, Great Britain (Italy/Rome is not included)
10K miles
Upgrade to first class from any coach class ticket not having an advance purchase requirement, not including Hawaii. This for 1 ticket not 2.
The wording back in 1988/1989 when the program changed from old miles to new miles with new award structure was that old miles could be used to redeem awards from the "old award chart as long as those awards remained available". When years later I wanted to use old miles for tickets on BA's Concorde, there was no record of such an award in the charts AAdvantage customer service accessed. I found in all my old paper mailings the actual award code and called to be told the code no longer existed-thus the Concorde award, and all BA transatlantic awards from the old chart no longer were available-probably due to the prohibition of earning and redeeming AA miles an BA metal from the US to Europe. The old award charts are pretty much exclusively awards on AA but at much lower mileage requirements than the current charts, with no copays but WITH capacity controls-they very clearly stated capacity controls would be added to ALL awards redeemed in the revised program in 1989.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 7:31 am

Programs: AA advantage
Originally Posted by corky
I have over 250,000 old miles and spent 45 minutes on the phone with AA on friday. For September & October 2012 and March, April & May 2013 she could not find ANY dates to use the 120,000 miles--2 biz class to Switzerland or Italy. The best was ONE seat next spring available. Zero, nothing, nada. I was completely flexible on the dates. If I didn't have a gun pointed to my head in the form of the 11/1/2012 pull the plug I could keep trying for next spring & maybe get something. So not only have the ba$tards devalued our miles they have made them impossible to use. It is hard enough anyway to use miles but when you give God knows how many people only a couple months to use their award you make it almost impossible. Had they given us a year's heads up this would have at least been a little more fair. 25% doesn't begin to cover the damages.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: AA advantage
I also had no luck trying to use old miles before the Nov 1 deadline and am quite unhappy with the devaluation of my over 450,000 old miles. I registered with Krislov law firm and saw their July filing. Is there a thread following status of suit or does anyone know if this is going anywhere ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.