Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Miles "with no expiration" to be converted to normal miles, with 25% bonus Nov 1 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles "with no expiration" to be converted to normal miles, with 25% bonus Nov 1 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
OLD 30A award - terms and cond?

Anyone have any terms and conditions for an OLD 30A award? (2 upgrade certificates ... coach to first on any individual ticket)

1) do these certificate expire?

2 Is each certificate for a one way or round trip
(see footnotes on old award chart: http://web.archive.org/web/200408052...oldawards.html)

"all flight awards entitle you one way or round trip travel"

3) This does not specify whether it is for Domestic travel or Intentional. (Though I can guess the intent!)

Thanks
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by itchief
I have you beat, 780 non-expiring miles. I am already planning my next flight with the bonus miles :-)
Beat on the "lowest" or "highest" non-expiring miles contest?

Anyone got fewer than my 750?

In all seriousness, this proves the old adage "Use it or lose it". I have never been one to hoard miles. I've always feared the program would come to an end, or the award charts be radically changed. Thus, I've used miles as I've earned them.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:19 pm

Over 400K here

Originally Posted by RobertH
Hmm, I think you will be surprised.

I have about 101,000 of the old miles, my wife has 121,000.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:28 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

This change is a reminder of the obvious: Miles are a depreciating asset.

Those who "save" miles should not be surprised when their value is reduced.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Beat on the "lowest" or "highest" non-expiring miles contest?

Millions of AAdvantage members have less than 750.
Personally, I have 0
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
I've got a whopping 750 non-expiring miles. Back in those days when I first started consulting, I would use miles almost as soon as I earned enough for a trip.

What, oh what, will I do with those 187.5 bonus miles?
Complain when they round down.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
It would probably have been more "fair" for AA to institute the expiration policy for the new miles but allow the old miles to remain separate and still be used for old awards. A nice compromise if you ask me. My guess is that this has something to do with trying to emerge from Ch. 11 and not having liabilities with unlimited shelf life.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:31 pm

My husband has 500. (I have more than that, but not enough for an award.)
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Old 20g award conditions

I spoke to aadvantage who spoke to help desk. While they might have allowed a small borrow from new miles to use an old award, they won't allow me to use 19404 old miles for a old 20g award. In addition, they use their database for old award restriction details, which doesnt exactly match the printed 2 page old award sheet details and footnotes. Has anyone been able to redeem old awards recently even if a bit short of old miles? Has anyone redeemed an old award with AA strictly adhering to the terms printed on the old award sheet. Thanks?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by ESPECIALROB
As AA discontinued stopovers on award tickets a few years ago, I'm wondering if stopovers would be permitted on the pre-1989 "non-expiring" award structure.

Anyone know?
Yes, the old miles allow stopovers, i did this last year using old miles. we flew Dallas to Hawaii, to San Francisco to Dallas
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:57 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by dayone
This change is a reminder of the obvious: Miles are a depreciating asset.

Those who "save" miles should not be surprised when their value is reduced.
Very true. In just over 10 years of mileage collection, in addition to award chart inflation, I've had kilometers unilaterally changed to miles, three tier awards introduced, and just plain lost them through bankruptcy. Allowing miles accumulated over a quarter of a century ago to be redeemed under old rules is just too good to last.

If you're "saving" them for retirement, you're probably better off using them when you can, calculating the $ you saved by using them, and investing that cash to buy tickets when you've retired.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by supergrandslam
I would be surprised if there is anyone still have those miles....
If there, never redeemed any AA miles in the past 20+ years?

I joined AAdvantage in early 90s ,so no idea about those non-expire miles.
I still have non-expiring miles and yes I redeemed in the last 20+ years. Since these were the last out, I never redeemed to zero. Hell I still have some original TWA miles in my account. But even TWA eliminated their "eternal" FFB Equity Award chart.

Some MBA at AA HeadquAArters looked at all the other airlines and saw that no other major (and perhaps no other airline) had no layer of non-expiring miles and also every major airline except Delta probably has total miles expiration. Plus with the bankruptcy they're scraping for every penny.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Just got this in email.

Seems reasonable to me.
Just curious why you say this given that AA has repeatedly promised these miles would never expire. That is a legal, binding agreement between them and each and every customer still holding these miles.

Nobody forced AA to make the offer they did. They did so because they knew that doing so would entice customers and result in patronage they might not otherwise have gotten. If they abrogate their part of the agreement they've benefited from the bargain without having to fulfill their half of the deal. I believe that is called breach of contract.

I don't see anything reasonable about that.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:23 am

As someone who doesn't hold a single Old Mile, I am in agreement with those who are negatively affected and not happy about it. This is a sign that American Airlines is a dishonest company, and not to be trusted long term. If they can get out from under a court order to keep Old Miles from expiring, I shudder to think what other devaluations are coming..
Old Jul 14, 2012, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Here is a link to the old award chart:

http://web.archive.org/web/200408052...oldawards.html
Page 2 of the Gunn letter linked at the bottom of that includes a statement to the effect that AA reserves the right to make changes. That, plus the current right to make changes, might make a challenge to the change a bit more difficult.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.