Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Miles "with no expiration" to be converted to normal miles, with 25% bonus Nov 1 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles "with no expiration" to be converted to normal miles, with 25% bonus Nov 1 2012

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is a link to the old award chart:

http://web.archive.org/web/200408052...oldawards.html
Old Jul 13, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA lifetime platinum, Jet Blue Mosaic
Some examples of advantageous use of non-expiring Advantage miles.
each of the below is round trip for two. Some of the awards to cities in Europe are no longer valid because AA not longer flies to the specified country.

170K miles
Concorde tickets on BA between either New York or Washington, DC, and London

150K miles
US - Tokyo business class
US - Tokyo first class (seasonal)
US - Caracas first class
120K miles
US - Belgium, France, Germany, Great Britain (Italy/Rome is not included)
10K miles
Upgrade to first class from any coach class ticket not having an advance purchase requirement, not including Hawaii. This for 1 ticket not 2.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All old awards are round trip. And old awards are NOT capacity controlled.

One way awards did not debut until recently.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 4:00 pm

As of a few years ago, AA has claimed that they are capacity controlled?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA lifetime platinum, Jet Blue Mosaic
Originally Posted by FWAAA
All old awards are round trip. And old awards are NOT capacity controlled.

One way awards did not debut until recently.
Are you sure that old awards are not capacity controlled. It was my impression that they were.

I've had enough "new miles" in my account that I've seldom had to dip into the "old miles".

Another question for those of you who have been around since the legal settlement. Wasn't the creation of the "old mile" status part of that legal settlement.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 4:05 pm

There is a post from many years ago which listed the old awards. In lieu of sending you the link, I will just post them here:

30A. Two r/t upgrades, domestic 49-states. Good for Premium first from any fare.

40A. 75% discount on any AA ticket. Buy an F fare and accrue F miles, if it works out to less than the price you'd pay for cheap coach+stickers.

50B. Free ticket in First (incl. Premium class), PLUS a free r/t companion upgrade to First from any fare.

60I. Two free tickets (off-peak) in Coach to Europe.

70D. Free companion ticket in Business to Tokyo.

75A. Two Premium tickets, domestic 48-state.

80D. Free companion ticket in First to Tokyo.

90B. Free companion ticket in First to Europe.

90G. Free Coach tickets for two to Europe-- high season.

90J. Free Biz class ticket to Europe.

120B. Free Biz tickets for two to Europe.

125G. Free Biz class tickets for two to Tokyo (low season only, 150D for high season).

150E. Free First class tickets for two to Tokyo (low season only, 175G for high season).

175A. Free First class tickets for two to Europe.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I've got a whopping 750 non-expiring miles. Back in those days when I first started consulting, I would use miles almost as soon as I earned enough for a trip.

What, oh what, will I do with those 187.5 bonus miles?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777lover
As of a few years ago, AA has claimed that they are capacity controlled?
Originally Posted by kayjay
Are you sure that old awards are not capacity controlled. It was my impression that they were.
I don't doubt that individual agents might have claimed that capacity controls apply to the old awards, and that's to be expected given the reports of difficulty in even finding agents who realize that the old awards are still issued.

PlanAAhead awards introduced capacity controls, and Regular awards were not PlanAAhead awards (nor are they SAAver awards).
Old Jul 13, 2012, 4:19 pm

That's what I thought!

Originally Posted by kayjay

I've had enough "new miles" in my account that I've seldom had to dip into the "old miles".

Another question for those of you who have been around since the legal settlement. Wasn't the creation of the "old mile" status part of that legal settlement.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 4:21 pm

I remember we emailed AAdvantage customer service and they said there was capacity controls. This was in relation to the intl one class upgrades.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I don't doubt that individual agents might have claimed that capacity controls apply to the old awards, and that's to be expected given the reports of difficulty in even finding agents who realize that the old awards are still issued.

PlanAAhead awards introduced capacity controls, and Regular awards were not PlanAAhead awards (nor are they SAAver awards).
Old Jul 13, 2012, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777lover
I remember we emailed AAdvantage customer service and they said there was capacity controls. This was in relation to the intl one class upgrades.
Then someone in AAdvantage Customer Service made it up.

Of course, with the awards going away in a few months, there's not a lot of time to get in a fight with AA over their mistaken imposition of capacity controls on awards not subject to capacity controls.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 4:32 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

This thread should be merged with the original and concurrently active Old Miles thread.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by dayone
This thread should be merged with the original and concurrently active Old Miles thread.
LOL! IIRC, United did something similar 20 years ago and did not offer any conversion bonus.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 4:57 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Landing Gear

[As usual with this forum having so many apologists for AA, I am fully confident of being flamed the moment I click the mouse to post this message.]
I guess not. Apparently no one gives a damn

Cheers.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA, HH
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I've got a whopping 750 non-expiring miles. Back in those days when I first started consulting, I would use miles almost as soon as I earned enough for a trip.

What, oh what, will I do with those 187.5 bonus miles?
I have you beat, 780 non-expiring miles. I am already planning my next flight with the bonus miles :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.