Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:28 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
When I did my bookings I entered SEA-MLE. That's the only way I could get it to work.

Initially only Z class was avail for SEA-DXB, not DXB-MLE. It seems Emirates is good about releasing Z, D, N for long flights.. but not the shorter ones. Sounds like the opposite of AA and DL.

I checked some SEA-SIN dates in May, there were some Z seats avail for SEA-DXB, but only N (Econ) from DXB-SIN. So you might have to make a decision. Personally I wanted the 15hr segments to clear. But remember if you want to make changes, make sure Z class is avail for both segments. Otherwise this 'married segment' issue might arise.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
UPDATE - Agents fault NOT phantom availability as I had originally feared.

Called again. This time I just asked for SEA-DXB-SEA, agent says good to go. So then I said OK how about SEA-DXB-SIN-DXB-SEA and she said yes then says OH its coming back not available. I said hmm which segment as we had found availability before. Agent puts me on hold talks to someone else. Comes back. She explains if she books it segment by segment it is fine. 55 minutes later and 400,000 AS miles the ticket is mine. Piece of cake!

So far I believe it is just agents not really knowing how to book them right. I would think a SEA-DXB-SEA would be easy to book and connections a little harder. But I do think Expertflyer availability is correct....for now.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
I realize that this might sound strange (jaded, spoiled, fill in the blank) but personally I'm a little tired of CX First, and booked EK for a change of pace, not to mention amazing (as in any day) F award availability between the US to DXB
After 22 flights in CX First, I know what of you speak SFO777. While it's hard to say that I'll ever tire per se of CX First - particularly whilst sitting up in the nose of the 747, which I much prefer to any airlines' 777 - variety is indeed the spice of life. I'm thankful I was able to book First Class suites on Emirates down to JNB and back this autumn without having to be overly flexible. And I'm certainly looking forward to the suite and the meal service.

HKG-JNB lands at 6:25AM. EK has three daily flights from DXB with two arriving at "normal" times.
That's worth a lot to me - not the 60000 extra miles to routinely book EK, but at least once I'm going to really enjoy a daytime flight into JNB and a decently timed return flight to Dubai.

EK offers limo service and hotel in DXB for long connections. And the new EK First Class lounge in a mind blower. Puts the Wing and/or Pier to shame.
The limo means nothing to me as I'd be just as happy arriving in a motorcycle taxi as I did for my first CX First flight out of Bangkok a few years ago. The lounge in Dubai on the other hand... definitely something to look forward to. I'm not sure EK offers complimentary hotel accommodations for those of us traveling on award tickets. I'll probably just set my tent up outside the airport somewhere...

I should note that I experienced no real problems in the booking process at all. The agents I worked with at Alaska's Partner Desk seemed well aware of the nuances associated with EK bookings. Now all I have to do is look forward to my flights!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 28, 2013 at 12:00 am
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I'm thankful I was able to book First Class suites on Emirates down to JNB and back this autumn without having to be overly flexible.
Whilst I am going to be searching for J seats to JNB, was availability open to JNB? Looking on EF (seems the only way to search availability for EK), I am seeing nothing at all on the DXB-JNB segment..granted I am eventually going to be searching for 2 tickets in March of '14, so I really can't search yet.. SFO777 made it sound like that segment is really hard to come by and only opens up with 30 days of departure...
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SFore
Whilst I am going to be searching for J seats to JNB, was availability open to JNB? Looking on EF (seems the only way to search availability for EK), I am seeing nothing at all on the DXB-JNB segment..granted I am eventually going to be searching for 2 tickets in March of '14, so I really can't search yet.. SFO777 made it sound like that segment is really hard to come by and only opens up with 30 days of departure...
I may have spoken (or written) too soon. Story of my life.
Subsequently, I do see F availability. The week we are traveling, there is one DXB-JNB flight with F avails (the day before I need) and the flight is actually showing Z2 D5. No other flights or dates are showing avails. The week before there are two Z2 days. So actually pretty good if your travel dates are flexible.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: AS MVP
Is there a better way to search on EF? I mainly use KVS and am new to it. Seems like a very slow process to search for flights over a couple day window. Where as on KVS you can just click a new date without having to enter all the info.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFore
Is there a better way to search on EF? I mainly use KVS and am new to it. Seems like a very slow process to search for flights over a couple day window. Where as on KVS you can just click a new date without having to enter all the info.
The best you can do on EF is "+/- 3 days" feature. Let's you search an entire week pretty easily.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:20 pm

Does EF has a bug? I am searching EK availability and it shows 0 in one row and 7 in another (For the same flight)
Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mshah
Does EF has a bug? I am searching EK availability and it shows 0 in one row and 7 in another (For the same flight)
For the same class of service?
If there are two rows with different numbers, you have likely entered two different fare/class codes.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:55 am

For the same class of service?
If there are two rows with different numbers, you have likely entered two different fare/class codes.
same class "o"..Different rows, since connecting flight from destination departs at different time. Alaska Airline agent does not see any availability.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mshah
same class "o"..Different rows, since connecting flight from destination departs at different time. Alaska Airline agent does not see any availability.
O is Business Flex, inventory not available to AS.
D is the Saver Business award class that is available to AS.
Z is the Saver First award class that is available to AS.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:40 pm

O is Business Flex, inventory not available to AS.
D is the Saver Business award class that is available to AS.
Z is the Saver First award class that is available to AS.
Thank you. I did not know that.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 2:50 pm

Programs: OZ D*G, AS MVPG, AF G, GHA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
With EK gaining fifth-freedom access in MXP, I wonder how/when AS will price out North America-Europe on EK?

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/ghetto...n-to-new-york/

Last edited by deasine; Apr 9, 2013 at 12:56 pm
Old Apr 8, 2013, 5:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
What happened to the availability?

Hello, I booked last week 2 tickets to on Emirates first (Z) class on Expertflyer. When I looked there was plenty of availability. Probably 20 out of 30 days in the months that I looked at. Often availability was Z2 on the SEA-DXB segments.

Today I looked and there is very very little Z availability on the SEA-DXB segments. The dates i did find availability there is only Z1.

I hope this is a temporary glitch
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well that party was certainly short-lived.

Agree with smilee. Except for close in (T-30 days), EK First inventory has virtually disappeared.

Just spent the last 1/2 hour searching the balance of the year, from SEA/SFO/IAH-DXB and back and we are talking slim pickings from mid-May forward. Most of the balance of the year from mid-May shows nothing. Within 30 days, there are a few seats, mostly Z1 a few Z2 Inside 14 days, lots more Z2.

Not exactly helpful for long range planning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.