Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Old Apr 5, 14, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Old Jun 13, 13, 6:49 pm
  #256  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver DEN-APA
Programs: AF Platinum, BA Gold Emirates Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm
Posts: 21,003
Originally Posted by AMRivlin View Post
The question is, did his view, match ExpertFlyer Zed space?
No, but it did match Zee space.
SFO777 is offline  
Old Jun 13, 13, 6:56 pm
  #257  
Fairmont Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: (SJC)
Programs: HH Gold, Fairmont Platinum (No Airline Status, a first in 7 years)
Posts: 2,122
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
No, but it did match Zee space.
^ Oh man those complicated fare buckets!
AMRivlin is offline  
Old Jun 13, 13, 6:57 pm
  #258  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: MVPG75k-Boardroom, Hilton Gold
Posts: 194
Wonder how long til the online search shows accurate F space.
PDX973 is offline  
Old Jun 13, 13, 9:48 pm
  #259  
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: BWI
Posts: 7,363
Originally Posted by PDX973 View Post
Wonder how long til the online search shows accurate F space.
Honestly, the longer the bug is still there, the better for us who has EF subscription

Once it is available online and easier to book, snagging the very limited EK F award space will be more competitive. QF is even worse.

My speculation, this is probably going to be pretty high on the priority ladder to be fixed. I did see some AF flights that had award space in Premium Economy only [according to EF] show up as bookable in Business class on AS.com.
golfingboy is offline  
Old Jun 13, 13, 9:53 pm
  #260  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver DEN-APA
Programs: AF Platinum, BA Gold Emirates Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm
Posts: 21,003
Originally Posted by golfingboy View Post
Honestly, the longer the bug is still there, the better for us who has EF subscription
^
SFO777 is offline  
Old Jun 13, 13, 11:17 pm
  #261  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: MVPG75k-Boardroom, Hilton Gold
Posts: 194
good point!
PDX973 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 13, 12:14 am
  #262  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Denver DEN-APA
Programs: AF Platinum, BA Gold Emirates Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA LT PLT 2mm
Posts: 21,003
Used the EK one way tonight for the first time. Surprise, surprise. Found and booked two First (Z) seats JFK-DXB (A380) connecting to DXB-JNB (one First and one Business (D)) in October. Was told that if Z opens on my DXB-JNB flight, I could change to First without having to cancel/rebook.

On the other hand...
EK would not let me cancel the IAH-DXB portion of a roundtrip and let me keep the DXB-IAH return without canceling the entire trip and starting over. Needless the say, the two DXB-IAH First seats did not go back into Z inventory. No biggie as I had already protected myself on an EY First flight the same day.
SFO777 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 13, 12:31 am
  #263  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6,360
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
Used the EK one way tonight for the first time. Surprise, surprise. Found and booked two First (Z) seats JFK-DXB (A380) connecting to DXB-JNB (one First and one Business (D)) in October. Was told that if Z opens on my DXB-JNB flight, I could change to First without having to cancel/rebook.

On the other hand...
EK would not let me cancel the IAH-DXB portion of a roundtrip and let me keep the DXB-IAH return without canceling the entire trip and starting over. Needless the say, the two DXB-IAH First seats did not go back into Z inventory. No biggie as I had already protected myself on an EY First flight the same day.
Wow. I see one other date in October with one seat, one with two seats. All on Tuesdays. Pleasantly surprised.
yerffej201 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 13, 12:33 am
  #264  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOS/ORH
Programs: AS 75K
Posts: 18,284
Originally Posted by yerffej201 View Post
Wow. I see one other date in October with one seat, one with two seats. All on Tuesdays. Pleasantly surprised.
I just saw that as well. Now if only they would open some up for August on Tuesdays in the opposite diretion
CDKing is offline  
Old Jun 16, 13, 12:44 am
  #265  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6,360
Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
I just saw that as well. Now if only they would open some up for August on Tuesdays in the opposite diretion
Did they just release some space? I went through a few months and I can see around 4-5 dates where there is a380 space. doesn't seem like there is any dxb-jfk, though
yerffej201 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 13, 12:15 pm
  #266  
Suspended
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Posts: 2,863
So what's the best way to find EK F availability? On an unrelated topic, QF F availability is EXTREMELY limited - always. Expertflyer or not.
oneworld82 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 13, 12:33 pm
  #267  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6,360
Originally Posted by oneworld82 View Post
So what's the best way to find EK F availability? On an unrelated topic, QF F availability is EXTREMELY limited - always. Expertflyer or not.
On EF. Do the +3/-3 search, then you can search a week.
I would say QF space is actually better than EK because you can see some space lax-mel/syd and v.v. more than 330 days about (around 350 days is best). EK does have last minute space, but I'd rather plan my trips wayyyy in advance.
yerffej201 is offline  
Old Jun 17, 13, 8:09 am
  #268  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOS/ORH
Programs: AS 75K
Posts: 18,284
Originally Posted by yerffej201 View Post
Did they just release some space? I went through a few months and I can see around 4-5 dates where there is a380 space. doesn't seem like there is any dxb-jfk, though
I just thought it was odd that F was available for a few dates in October. I didnt think they opened any up that far in advance anymore
CDKing is offline  
Old Jun 17, 13, 8:27 am
  #269  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6,360
Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
I just thought it was odd that F was available for a few dates in October. I didnt think they opened any up that far in advance anymore
Exactly. They haven't released space 6 months out for US in ages...
yerffej201 is offline  
Old Jun 17, 13, 9:57 am
  #270  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOS/ORH
Programs: AS 75K
Posts: 18,284
Originally Posted by yerffej201 View Post
Exactly. They haven't released space 6 months out for US in ages...
I wish I got in within the first few weeks of the awards going live. Almost every day had Z2 JFK-DXB. At least i have a UA partner F award as a backup but i really want to do EK
CDKing is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread