Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
[outdated information deleted]
Print Wikipost

Master thread TD Aeroplan credit card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by YOWkid
Probably more TD than AC.
Whatever. That's the rules. Same with CIBC.

The Privilege version comes with 6 entries to the Priority Pass contract lounges worldwide regardless of airline and class of service flying.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
deleted

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Feb 13, 2016 at 6:23 pm
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:49 pm

I'm flying on a ticket paid for on my TD card and redeemed for an Aeroplan reward YYZ-MEL, return SYD-YYZ. The first leg of the YYZ-MEL ticket is YYZ to LAX on Air Canada and then onward to MEL on United.

I wonder if I will get MLL access. Technically, I am flying Air Canada out of YYZ to LAX, but I'm not sure if I am considered an AC passenger or a UA passenger. Each flight in the segment have their own designation (no codeshares).

Last calendar year I redeemed out of YYZ on AC-only Aeroplan flights with no issues. I was quite happy by the time I boarded the plane. Unfortunately This time it's a morning flight, so no alcohol, but I'm cancelling the card soon, so might as well use it for something.

PS: can we use any lounge in YYZ that we want with these passes? Even tho my flight is transborder, it's gate is right next to the international lounge, so obvs I'd rather go there so I can be close to my flight. Am I allowed or are we restricted to using the lounge that's attached to the kind of flight we're taking?

Last edited by marktwothousand; Feb 14, 2016 at 8:02 pm
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by marktwothousand
I'm flying on a ticket paid for on my TD card and redeemed for an Aeroplan reward YYZ-MEL, return SYD-YYZ. The first leg of the YYZ-MEL ticket is YYZ to LAX on Air Canada and then onward to MEL on United.

I wonder if I will get MLL access. Technically, I am flying Air Canada out of YYZ to LAX, but I'm not sure if I am considered an AC passenger or a UA passenger. Each flight in the segment have their own designation (no codeshares).

Last calendar year I redeemed out of YYZ on AC-only Aeroplan flights with no issues. I was quite happy by the time I boarded the plane. Unfortunately This time it's a morning flight, so no alcohol, but I'm cancelling the card soon, so might as well use it for something.

PS: can we use any lounge in YYZ that we want with these passes? Even tho my flight is transborder, it's gate is right next to the international lounge, so obvs I'd rather go there so I can be close to my flight. Am I allowed or are we restricted to using the lounge that's attached to the kind of flight we're taking?
You just say TD card, need to be technical to confirm that it is either a TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite or TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege card. You are flying in economy class.

So long as your Aeroplan ticket was redeemed from your account attached to your Aeroplan Visa card, you will be able to use the transborder MLL. There is an elevator at the right side after security/US CBP to take you directly to the MLL.

You will also be able to use the priority check-in at Aisle 3 and entitled to Zone 2 priority boarding.

If you have the Privilege version, you may use one of the Priority Pass contract lounges at LAX during transit, as well as SYD and any intermediary points on your return flight. It comes with 6 free entries.

Last edited by Clipper801; Feb 15, 2016 at 11:50 am
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Bonvoy (Gold)
Originally Posted by Clipper801
You just say TD card, need to be technical to confirm that it is either a TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite or TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege card. You are flying in economy class.

So long as your Aeroplan ticket was redeemed from your account attached to your Aeroplan Visa card, you will be able to use the transborder MLL. There is an elevator at the right side after security/US CBP to take you directly to the MLL.

You will also be able to use the priority check-in at Aisle 3 and entitled to Zone 2 priority boarding.

If you have the Privilege version, you may use one of the Priority Pass contract lounges at LAX during transit, as well as SYD and any intermediary points on your return flight. It comes with 6 free entries.
I have just learned that in order to use all these, you ALSO have to pay for the taxes associated with the AE award ticket with your TD Aeroplan. The AC system will have this on file.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by YOWkid
So if one has multiple TD AE visa cards, has anyone tried swiping each one to let their travelling companions in with them when they themselves have >=35k or *G?
The Air Canada system has to show that you used that specific card to pay for the taxes on the award ticket.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by muskoka
Yes- when you checkin online, put "zero" in the # of bags field. When you bag-drop at the airport, tell them you qualify for the free bag. Your boarding pass will have "CC" printed on the top & any checkin agent worth their salt will know that.
I think they have most of the kinks worked out finally on how to override the bag charge at the checkin desk ( in Canada at least) Still may be some issues
at stations serviced by other airlines . (Like OGG for example )
I checked in online, choose 1 bag and was not charged for it in Dec.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by tryinginvain
Lounge Access

From searching back through this thread it appears you still get one lounge visit as a benefit. I'm currently in Asia, flying back to yyz on an Alaskan J award ticket and connecting to an aeroplan Y award for yyz-yow. My current TD visa is probably 3-4 months old. If I understand this correctly, I should be able to swipe my TD Visa at the domestic lounge to gain entry?

From my experience, you will get lounge access only if you booked that specific award ticket with the TD visa you have.

I had a TD Aeroplan card but I paid the taxes for the Air Canada Aeroplan award ticket with a different card and the Air Canada and Lounge agents told me I can not access the lounge
Old Feb 16, 2016, 2:25 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
It got better because TD subjected me to multiple phone calls from telemarketers trying to sell me life & disability insurance to cover my credit card debt in case I died, or became incapacitated. This from a bank that had supposedly done a credit check on me. The lack of integrity was unbelievable, because the credit check and my credit history was such that I was the last person to need the insurance. I had intended to get rid of TD last year, but never got around to it.
The insurance they flog has nothing to do with your credit capacity or quality. It is simply a money grab income generator for the bank. Only the most illiterate of consumers buy that kind of insurance.

Anyway, I was considering applying for a TD card, but your comments helped me decide not to, so thank you for that.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by mapleg
The insurance they flog has nothing to do with your credit capacity or quality. It is simply a money grab income generator for the bank. Only the most illiterate of consumers buy that kind of insurance.

Anyway, I was considering applying for a TD card, but your comments helped me decide not to, so thank you for that.
Different strokes......I never get multiple calls from TD (I can't remember the last time I got one at all), and they've never tried to sell me anything extra. When I canceled my card a few years ago, they were respectful of my choice and didn't try to woo me back. When I took a card out again 11.5 months later, they did it without a hitch, didn't try to sell me anything else, and have not contacted me about any insurance, credit increases, or multiple cards.

Why are these two experiences different? I have no idea, but I have gotten great service from TD regarding my credit card (only one better was AmEx).
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by peroorim
I have just learned that in order to use all these, you ALSO have to pay for the taxes associated with the AE award ticket with your TD Aeroplan. The AC system will have this on file.
From my experience, you will get lounge access only if you booked that specific award ticket with the TD visa you have.

I had a TD Aeroplan card but I paid the taxes for the Air Canada Aeroplan award ticket with a different card and the Air Canada and Lounge agents told me I can not access the lounge
You don't need to pay for the taxes and service charges of the redemption ticket with the TD Aeroplan Visa in order to access the MLL. This is incorrect although AC staff is known in the past to frequently make up own rules rather than referring to the corporate policies and procedures manual. They definitely dislike anything that would mean extra works for them. The only thing required is that the ticket was redeemed from the Aeroplan account attached to the credit card and the member was flying, not someone else.

I suggest to write to Customer Care to report the incident.

It only matters if 75% of the full fare of the ticket, including redemption ticket, is not charged to the Aeroplan visa card, it will void the travel insurance coverage. The one thing needs to watch out is using the AC Gift Card. It must not exceed 25% of the total costs and pay the balance with an Aeroplan Visa or one would not have any travel insurance coverage. Same applies if paying with cash.

Last edited by Clipper801; Feb 16, 2016 at 8:59 am
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
... and they've never tried to sell me anything extra. ...... didn't try to sell me anything else,

Why are these two experiences different? I have no idea, but I have gotten great service from TD regarding my credit card (only one better was AmEx).
I just activated TD card yesterday and it was via a rep who pretended that the activation is a "long" process during which he talks about the insurance. TD does it all the time. Others do it as well. Cards that need a rep for activation are design for a sales pitch regardless of issuer. Some cards are activated by just calling in and providing a number and some adder info to a computer or even better online. Amex comes to mind.

You are lucky with your relationship with TD. My has been varied. And I have all the financial products with them.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by mapleg

I only apply to get the 25000 enrolment points(when its FYF....like my last 2 applications).I can put up with a little inconvenience........
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Other than during credit card "activation", I receive no market calls or mail from TD. I told them to stop long time and they obliged. Banks are good with these requests.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: *void

Originally Posted by Clipper801
You don't need to pay for the taxes and service charges of the redemption ticket with the TD Aeroplan Visa in order to access the MLL. This is incorrect although AC staff is known in the past to frequently make up own rules rather than referring to the corporate policies and procedures manual. They definitely dislike anything that would mean extra works for them. The only thing required is that the ticket was redeemed from the Aeroplan account attached to the credit card and the member was flying, not someone else.
I agree with Clipper...it's NOT necessary to pay with a specific TD/CIBC Aeroplan Visa card to get the lounge access. There was a previous poster who said he paid with an Amex card, but when swiping a TD or CIBC card, he got lounge access. My own datapoint, from a page past, was that I booked my wife's ticket with my Aeroplan points, and I swiped one of MY TD/CIBC Aeroplan cards with my name and my Aeroplan number, and she got access to the lounge (i.e., the name on the boarding pass did not matter, though this may by a case of the lounge rep getting tired of swiping all my different cards).

Also, I don't know how to emphasize it with more clarity, but there is NO GUARANTEE that you will get access to the lounge, even if you DID use your ONE and ONLY TD Aeroplan Visa, with an AC metal redemption, with the Aeroplan accounts on the card+boarding pass, all copacetic (the same). I followed all these rules, but still got denied entry to the lounge, and this was after 5 months after opening the card, so not a case of being too new to have been setup in the system. I did complain to AC and they relented to my complaints and gave me two paper passes, as compensation. Later in the year, I tried the SAME card on another Aeroplan redemption...this time it worked.

This is why I hate the new system...there's no way to check ahead of time that everything is in order and that you have a valid entry credit on your card account within AC's systems, when it is swiped. Anyone think AC IT is braniac enuf to build such a system for us to use?? Not likely. BRING BACK THE PAPER PASSES!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.