Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
I had Gogo Inflight Internet wifi on my MEX-YYZ flight 2 weeks ago and it kicked it near Corpus Christi, TX and worked near perfectly until somewhere around both KY and TN where it dropped off completely for 30 mins or so. It returned over OH and worked until below 10K feet on approach to YYZ.

Better than nothing to be sure, however, people using it for Skype sitting next to me in J is beyond ridiculous and rude.

Can you hear me now? How 'bout now? Better? Onnn thhhheeee pllllannnne here...
Old Mar 12, 2014, 6:27 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM
I just return from FRA-YYZ on LH470. The Wifi on board is awesome. I FaceTimed my wife and infant daughter at 36K over the ocean. I'd also say LH Business Class has much better Service, Food, and certainly Drink. I have to fly out of FRA in 4 weeks and I'm certainly go this flight again. The departure time is also better for me than AC. Oh also super good WiFi.
Old May 5, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
I realize I'm going to sound a bit of a broken record here, but while clearing out emails I ran across one of the many announcements from AC about this and now that there's a slim chance I'll be back on an AC domestic in the future, thought "hey, this seems interesting"

And then I read the terms:
Platforms supported include: Blackberry®, Windows® Mobile, Apple®, and Nokia® (Symbian S60).
Hmm, AC. Let's run it down here:
-Blackberry, of course.
-Apple, of course.
-Windows mobile? Nice inclusion.
-Symbian?? Really?

That is all.

Oh, I get that platforms "include" and the GoGo site suggests it's included but come on, AC. Now you're just going to pretend it doesn't exist? Is it because you aren't getting any love for your "app" that has almost always failed to even achieve the basic level of functionality?
Old May 5, 2014, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
How do they not support Android
Old May 5, 2014, 4:36 pm

I suspect they do, they just don't want to even admit it.

Or, knowing AC, they don't. I sort of figured that if anyone knew definitively if they did, though, it would be you....
Old May 5, 2014, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn
I suspect they do, they just don't want to even admit it.

Or, knowing AC, they don't. I sort of figured that if anyone knew definitively if they did, though, it would be you....
Well for GoGo, don't you normally just open your browser, and then it authorizes your MAC address? I don't really understand how an OS could be (un)supported for this.

I've definitely used Android with GoGo before.
Old May 5, 2014, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Well for GoGo, don't you normally just open your browser, and then it authorizes your MAC address? I don't really understand how an OS could be (un)supported for this.

I've definitely used Android with GoGo before.
The GoGo website advertises an Android app, so I'm fairly sure it's going to work. In that case, it's just an error of omission. But a very interesting error of omission, given they list Symbian.
Old May 6, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Originally Posted by DJ Bitterbarn
The GoGo website advertises an Android app, so I'm fairly sure it's going to work. In that case, it's just an error of omission. But a very interesting error of omission, given they list Symbian.
It would not surprise me if it was just another case of AC IT being lazy about updating the website. Maybe the page was created back when Android didn't exist?

Just like the FP website that still says Latitude flights earn 100% and Rouge flights in Flex earn 400 AQM
Old May 6, 2014, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by gabdusch
It would not surprise me if it was just another case of AC IT being lazy about updating the website. Maybe the page was created back when Android didn't exist?

Just like the FP website that still says Latitude flights earn 100% and Rouge flights in Flex earn 400 AQM
I think you underestimate how old Android is

But yeah, the flight pass earnings pages are confusing too. Especially when you ask @ACAltitude about it, and they confirm those pages are accurate
Old May 15, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Is it still just Fins #280 & #282 with WiFi?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: AC SE / National Exec Elite / Marriott Gold / Accor Elite
Free wifi onboard

Had a great experience yesterday YUL-LAX

Was in row 14 of Y - still enjoying the A319 "traditional" seats - tons of legroom, decent width. I'll miss them when they're gone

I did not know that on select flights, Amex is sponsoring FREE Gogo Internet.

While not incredibly fast, it was cool to be able to text and chat with the kids back home, and play words with friends while onboard.

Anyhoo… Free wifi on some flights ! ^^^
Old Jun 1, 2014, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Originally Posted by PeteO
Had a great experience yesterday YUL-LAX

Was in row 14 of Y - still enjoying the A319 "traditional" seats - tons of legroom, decent width. I'll miss them when they're gone

I did not know that on select flights, Amex is sponsoring FREE Gogo Internet.

While not incredibly fast, it was cool to be able to text and chat with the kids back home, and play words with friends while onboard.

Anyhoo… Free wifi on some flights ! ^^^
Yes there is a whole thread on this.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 9:14 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Started by danapop http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...oard-wifi.html

FYI, it's only free for the start of the deployment, until June 30th: http://www.aircanada.com/en/offers/a...ifi_sep09.html

News from April: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/air-can...rica-1.2603983
Old Jun 1, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: AC SE
I was on one of the Wifi equipped 319's this week. I happened to notice a Wifi logo as I was boarding, which was the only indication it had Wifi - the flight crew didn't mention anything about it and I didn't see any signage onboard. I was chatting with my seatmate towards the end of the flight (E75 tags and sitting in J, so presumably a seasoned traveler) and mentioned the Wifi and she was surprised when I'd mentioned it the wifi, as there was no mention or indication of it inside the aircraft.

A bit surprised the flight crew wasn't promoting it more, but it probably helped to keep the speed up, given that few people seemed to know about it. Not sure if I'd use it regularly, as sometimes I like being forced offline for a few hours, but nice to have the option.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: Super Elite 100K
Originally Posted by gcashin
A bit surprised the flight crew wasn't promoting it more, but it probably helped to keep the speed up, given that few people seemed to know about it. Not sure if I'd use it regularly, as sometimes I like being forced offline for a few hours, but nice to have the option.
A bit disappointing to read this comment as I can see a few scenarios coming from it: AC will decide that usage is low (because they don't push it) and scrap plans for system-wide installation; AC will adopt system-wide installation, but cap bandwidth at a ridiculously low level as "studies of usage during our test stages on fins XXX and XXX showed little usage"; or AC will install wifi system-wide, but price it a ridiculous level in order to make up for the perceived low-level usage, again due to poor recognition from flyers, during the free test period, that the feature was even available.
In all cases, outcomes are probably incorrect because of AC's seeming insouciance in running this test. Rigorous tests demand rigorous protocols, why can't AC get a grip on that fundamental? To have a client, a frequent flyer to boot, find out at the END of the flight that it was available means someone at AC is not doing a good job of promoting it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.