Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cooleddie
Lync works.

And so do webcam chats on Lync.

I think speed varies depending on where your plane is.
I can confirm that Skype works. Although I'm not going to actually have a voice call. Too touchy for my tastes
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I can confirm that Skype works. Although I'm not going to actually have a voice call. Too touchy for my tastes
I guess the whole thing of GoGo being caught forging google ssl certs a few weeks back has caused them to rethink their strategy. ^ Glad to see they're not forging ssl certs anymore - that was just an abhorrent practice.

I wonder how long before they come up with a new method to block such services.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
wow priving seems all over the map. I was flying YEG-YYZ last week (in J) and it was 24.95 for the flight. Pass...

I do think that it should be NC for J Pax.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by jaysona
I guess the whole thing of GoGo being caught forging google ssl certs a few weeks back has caused them to rethink their strategy. ^ Glad to see they're not forging ssl certs anymore - that was just an abhorrent practice.

I wonder how long before they come up with a new method to block such services.
Just VPN, fixes all blocks by GoGo
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
On-Board WIFI

I've used it three times in the past month in YOW-YEG/YYC and worked well though pricing differed each time for me also. Anywhere from $12-16.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold
Smile Wifi on AC 811 IST-YYZ in J Class ?

Oh wise AC Flyertalkers,

I am flying on AC 811, IST-YYZ on Wednesday, March 18 in J Class.

Does anyone know if Wifi is available on this flight ? Any ideas on the cost ?

Your keen insight is most greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by gpicur
Oh wise AC Flyertalkers,

I am flying on AC 811, IST-YYZ on Wednesday, March 18 in J Class.

Does anyone know if Wifi is available on this flight ? Any ideas on the cost ?

Your keen insight is most greatly appreciated.
AC doesn't offer wifi on their widebody fleet yet (so the answer is no wifi)
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
I might be going crazy, but I swear, I am 100% sure I saw an AC A330 with a hump on the top, like the UA aircraft with WIFI. It was a one off i'm pretty sure as I saw 1 other A330 (90% sure) at YYZ today without the hump.

Am I losing my mind? I'm sure it was a A330, winglet, engine design, size of aircraft. Are A330's getting WIFI? Or was it one weird bird AC got?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:30 pm

I might be going crazy, but I swear, I am 100% sure I saw an AC A330 with a hump on the top, like the UA aircraft with WIFI. It was a one off i'm pretty sure as I saw 1 other A330 (90% sure) at YYZ today without the hump.

Am I losing my mind? I'm sure it was a A330, winglet, engine design, size of aircraft. Are A330's getting WIFI? Or was it one weird bird AC got?
This bump? I'm not sure what it is, but I believe all 330s have had them forever. Not wifi related though.

Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by winnipegrev
This bump? I'm not sure what it is, but I believe all 330s have had them forever. Not wifi related though.

Ohh, my apologies. Thanks. I guess I am losing my mind

Yes, that is 100% what I was referring to. Maybe it's because I was sad that my E190 today had no WIFI
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
That looks like it's the SATCOM antenna. Typically in commercial aviation it's used for datalink (such as ACARS) communications while flying over water. Biz jets use them for voice phone calls and (very expensive) Internet (~56k - 128k) access as well.

Ohh, my apologies. Thanks. I guess I am losing my mind

Yes, that is 100% what I was referring to. Maybe it's because I was sad that my E190 today had no WIFI
The antenna for Internet service on the E190 is located on the underside of the aircraft, not the top. The antenna needs to point towards the ground since the GoGo network used by AC is terrestrial based, not satellite based.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:03 pm
Suspended

The antenna for Internet service on the E190 is located on the underside of the aircraft, not the top. The antenna needs to point towards the ground since the GoGo network used by AC is terrestrial based, not satellite based.
Makes sense. I had never thought of it that way. Thanks for the insight Does UA use a different system? I may be way off base but I thought the humps on the UA airplanes these days were for WIFI? Again, could be speaking out of my butt but just thought this for some reason...
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:11 pm

Does UA use a different system? I may be way off base but I thought the humps on the UA airplanes these days were for WIFI? Again, could be speaking out of my butt but just thought this for some reason...
Yes, UA now uses a Panasonic solution which is satellite based. Very nice coverage too.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...i/default.aspx
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Yes, UA now uses a Panasonic solution which is satellite based. Very nice coverage too.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...i/default.aspx
Thank you fellow FTer for the knowledge. Makes sense now
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: *$ Green
Biz jets use them for voice phone calls and (very expensive) Internet (~56k - 128k) access as well.

This exists still?

I mean yeah sure, you're in the middle of nowhere over the ocean. But really? Wow.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.