Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium
Originally Posted by ErnstH
What is the best place to check for cheap Aegean tickets? It seems matrix/google flights is quite inaccurate, and even Aegean's own site (the low cost calender) seems to reprice when I click through sometimes. Am I doing something wrong? Also, is it possible to book open-jaws through Aegean, or should I book two one-ways?

Edit: my "use case" is to find four cheap segments to "some" island for a couple of days (I don't care which one that much..) from Amsterdam to Rome, so AMS-ATH-XYZ-ATH-FCO. My current method is to check all one-way pairs manually, but that is quite cumbersome..
You can try entering multiple airports on ITA Matrix and seeing if that gives you accurate results when you plug it into the open jaw booking screen on the A3 website, but I found it not too reliable when I booked my segment run unfortunately. The way I ended up doing it was exactly how you described, with checking the random islands manually until I saw which worked out cheapest. I agree it's very cumbersome though! I would book the open jaw rather than 2 one-ways, as it priced up cheaper for me when I was looking at LHR-ATH-XYZ-ATH-VIE than if I booked LHR-ATH-XYZ//XYZ-ATH-LHR as 2 one-ways. Hope that helps.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:43 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Is it possible to book award tickets on Olympic using *A miles (e.g. United or ANA) or can you only get mainline Aegean flights?
Old May 10, 2017, 7:50 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by augmon
Is it possible to book award tickets on Olympic using *A miles (e.g. United or ANA) or can you only get mainline Aegean flights?
A3 prime flight numbers only, unfortunately. OA is not part of *A, so none of its inventory appears in Starnet. Redemptions are only available from M+B (not that you would in almost all circumstances given how cheap either the flights or the other transport alternatives are).
Old May 10, 2017, 5:01 pm

Smile

Hi,

this is a very helpful thread.

One more questions please:

Service Class T on a Lufthansa Ticket gives me zero miles on Aegean.

If I book the same LH metal through United with an UA flight number it would be still T, but will Aegean give me 50% of the miles according to their table for United?

Is my understanding correct, that mileage accrual goes by the issuing airline and not by metal?

Last edited by Bate; May 10, 2017 at 8:05 pm
Old May 10, 2017, 10:13 pm
Community Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bate
Hi,

this is a very helpful thread.

One more questions please:

Service Class T on a Lufthansa Ticket gives me zero miles on Aegean.

If I book the same LH metal through United with an UA flight number it would be still T, but will Aegean give me 50% of the miles according to their table for United?

Is my understanding correct, that mileage accrual goes by the issuing airline and not by metal?
No, it's metal that counts throughout Star Alliance. You are then dependent on how UA T maps across into the LH codes, but most likely given the close co-cooperation between UA & LH it'll be a straight map of T to T. Expect to earn nothing unless you force a higher fare bucket on LH.
Old May 11, 2017, 3:10 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by ErnstH
What is the best place to check for cheap Aegean tickets? It seems matrix/google flights is quite inaccurate, and even Aegean's own site (the low cost calender) seems to reprice when I click through sometimes. Am I doing something wrong? Also, is it possible to book open-jaws through Aegean, or should I book two one-ways?

Edit: my "use case" is to find four cheap segments to "some" island for a couple of days (I don't care which one that much..) from Amsterdam to Rome, so AMS-ATH-XYZ-ATH-FCO. My current method is to check all one-way pairs manually, but that is quite cumbersome..
My opinion, others probably have different views:

1) Forget booking the open jaw - it's possible, both with A3 and third party sites, but there is absolutely no advantage to doing that. Just find the two cheapest singles you can for AMS-ATH and ATH-FCO.

2) You'll may find it cheaper to book your flights to and from the island separately too. The system matches price bucket and fare type (GoLight/Flex) on both segments so one may get bumped into a higher booking class if you book together. The downside is you lose the protection of having a through ticket on the same PNR.

3) The exception to the above is - if you were visiting "large" destinations such as SKG or HER then there are often cheaper fares when you book the through connection (for example, I've booked SKG-ARN for around 80 Euro when ATH-ARN was over 150 euro on the same flight)

4) I use various sites to check and book but I've never found one significantly cheaper than booking direct (just small differences to do with the currency being used and credit card fees).

5) I din't know about the accuracy of the A3 low fare calendar but generally these things don't update in real time - they store prices that others have found while searching, so that might be what you're experiencing.
Old May 11, 2017, 3:52 am

Programs: SK, A3, QR
Could someone just kindly confirm that I got this right:

I am a new A3 member looking to qualify for first Silver, and then Gold. I have about 8000 miles now and have a long haul SK flight coming up that would earn me 20000 A3 miles. To get most benefit of the miles earning, should I fly my A3 sectors before flying SK long haul?

If flying 2 A3 sectors gets me to 10000, would SK long haul miles just get me to silver and then I'd start over, or would the remaining miles count toward Gold status?

If I don't fly the 2 A3 sectors before the SK long haul, I presume flying them when I have collected 18000 miles (and reaching 20000), my account would be reset and I'd start from scratch to get towards 24000?

Many thanks for advice.
Old May 11, 2017, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
No, it's metal that counts throughout Star Alliance. You are then dependent on how UA T maps across into the LH codes, but most likely given the close co-cooperation between UA & LH it'll be a straight map of T to T. Expect to earn nothing unless you force a higher fare bucket on LH.
Thank you. I nearly booked it last night. Still trying to get the miles for renewal together with me planned trip NYC - (NUE - MUC) - JTR - HER - NYC, but most affordable flights seem to give me zero miles with Aegean.

What is the best way to book a higher Class besides booking the double priced Economy FLEX on their website?
Old May 11, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
My opinion, others probably have different views:

1) Forget booking the open jaw - it's possible, both with A3 and third party sites, but there is absolutely no advantage to doing that. Just find the two cheapest singles you can for AMS-ATH and ATH-FCO.

2) You'll may find it cheaper to book your flights to and from the island separately too. The system matches price bucket and fare type (GoLight/Flex) on both segments so one may get bumped into a higher booking class if you book together. The downside is you lose the protection of having a through ticket on the same PNR.

3) The exception to the above is - if you were visiting "large" destinations such as SKG or HER then there are often cheaper fares when you book the through connection (for example, I've booked SKG-ARN for around 80 Euro when ATH-ARN was over 150 euro on the same flight)

4) I use various sites to check and book but I've never found one significantly cheaper than booking direct (just small differences to do with the currency being used and credit card fees).

5) I din't know about the accuracy of the A3 low fare calendar but generally these things don't update in real time - they store prices that others have found while searching, so that might be what you're experiencing.
Thanks for the replies! In the end, I booked an open-jaw through the Aegean website (DUS-ATH-CFU, CFU-ATH-FCO). I need the protection on the "island" flights, since I went for short layovers and are hoping on a missed connection. :P

I called on the phone, and upgraded both of the longer segments. They also informed me that the OA flights contained a "business class" sections (didn't know they had that), but for only one hour I didn't think it would be worth it.

Does anyone have any experience with the airport at CFU?
Old May 11, 2017, 7:44 am
Community Director
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bate
Thank you. I nearly booked it last night. Still trying to get the miles for renewal together with me planned trip NYC - (NUE - MUC) - JTR - HER - NYC, but most affordable flights seem to give me zero miles with Aegean.

What is the best way to book a higher Class besides booking the double priced Economy FLEX on their website?
On the second point, you'd be best asking over at the LH forum - they would have the expertise to know how to manipulate that airline's booking engine.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
If I have a checked bag, will they charge me the fee once or twice at DBV? Also, I'm guessing the check-in agents at DBV should be able to tag my bags all the way to HER since it's on A3/OA the entire way? From what I read, 1.5hr should be more than enough time to transit through ATH as long as the flight from DBV arrives on-time?
I would expect that the contract staff at DBV will only charge you one fee and only check your bag as far as ATH.

You can never rely on through-checking of bags; certainly not from an outstation where you turn up with a "problem scenario" of having two different tickets.

Even if you pay both bag fees online in advance, I fear that your "problem scenario" will defeat the check-in staff at DBV and even if they want to through-check your bags that it may not be possible for them to figure out how to do so.

With separate tickets, you must always plan pessimistically. Is handbaggage only an option for you?
Old May 11, 2017, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by groovyfly
I am a new A3 member looking to qualify for first Silver, and then Gold. I have about 8000 miles now and have a long haul SK flight coming up that would earn me 20000 A3 miles. To get most benefit of the miles earning, should I fly my A3 sectors before flying SK long haul?
ABSOLUTELY!

Your target for Silver is 24,000 miles, or 12,000 miles with 2 A3 sectors.

You already have 8,000 miles. You have indicated your intention to use the "A3 sectors" to reduce the threshold.

That means that your very next action should be to add the necessary 2 A3 sectors.

When you move from Blue to Silver, you start a new membership year on that date. All flights taken before this date therefore do not help you in your new membership year - their associated Tier Miles were earned in your old/previous [Blue] year. Even though they had no effect - given that you "pulled the rug out for under them" by suddenly slashing the threshold - the date of their earning remains PRIOR to your upgrade in status. They are already in the past - they can't help you in your new membership year.. If you had increased your mileage level to, say, 23,000 miles prior to taking your 2 A3 flights, then those extra 11,000 miles are wasted. Your status changes on the date of the second A3 segment and, from that date forward, you must accrue a further 24,000 miles (or 12,000 miles with 4 new A3 sectors) to get to Gold; or accrue a further 16,000 miles (or 8,000 miles with 2 new A3 sectors) to retain Silver.

By delaying the fulfillment of the A3 sectors rule, not only are you delaying your status upgrade, but you are also "throwing away" previously flown miles above the new, suddenly-reduced mileage threshold.

When intending to use A3 sectors to reduce your qualification threshold, you should always aim to get the necessary number of sectors in your account PRIOR to reaching the corresponding target. Not only does that "lock in" the lower Tier Mileage requirement from the outset - but the Tier Miles of those A3 sectors themselves help doubly, in also pushing you closer to that target.

(This is less of an issue for Gold requalifiers - as you maintain a fixed membership year for as long as you maintain Gold).

Last edited by irishguy28; May 11, 2017 at 10:33 am Reason: corrected tier mileage amounts
Old May 13, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: SK, A3, QR
@irishguy

many thanks for the clarification; hugely appreciated!!
Old May 16, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Originally Posted by Skyborne Flyer
Hi A3 colleagues, just to confirm the final deadline for requalification this year (2016). What time does the last flight need to depart? Will a flight departing ATH at 11:59pm on the 24th of November 2016 still count for requalification? Thanks for the info!
Originally Posted by :D!
I believe a flight departing at 2359 on 23rd of November would work, but not a flight on the 24th unless that is your actual final date to requalify.
Not sure if I get this right. But how should I interpret the above statement?

This is what's written on my sister's account:
"To maintain my tier I still need:
Tier miles
Up to 22/08/2017"

So I guess the flight departing on aug 22nd will count, or is the 21st of aug the last departing date?
Old May 16, 2017, 4:47 pm

Is it possible to use ATH lounge coupon landing at 14:00 in Athens, the next day connecting flight is at 8:00 am?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.