Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

The all-time, flat-out, best mascara in the world.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The all-time, flat-out, best mascara in the world.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by obscure2k
My make-up guy doesn't believe in mascara for bottom lashes.
Really? I will have to check this out. You mean all this time I have walked around out of fashion? What do I know?

Oh Lord, What else is out of fashion for someone who dresses in basically a classic sense? I have to get out more.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 11:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I most definitely believe in mascara for lower lashes. Having thick lower lashes (and upper lashes) really opens up my eyes and makes them look bigger and rounder--especially when I have been religious about using Double Lash. ^ ^

What the heck could that make up guy be thinking? Are you sure he isn't jealous of women?

svenskaflicka, I apply mascara to my bottom lashes very carefully, turning the brush almost perpendicular to my eye lashes. I use a metal eye lash comb or a tiny safety pin to separate the lashes, in the even they begin to stick to one another. I have so few that I demand that they all stand independently and look hot.

Maybe we should have a make-up party somewhere. How fun would that be?
Old Apr 5, 2007, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Punki
I most definitely believe in mascara for lower lashes. Having thick lower lashes (and upper lashes) really opens up my eyes and makes them look bigger and rounder--especially when I have been religious about using Double Lash. ^ ^

What the heck could that make up guy be thinking? Are you sure he isn't jealous of women?

svenskaflicka, I apply mascara to my bottom lashes very carefully, turning the brush almost perpendicular to my eye lashes. I use a metal eye lash comb or a tiny safety pin to separate the lashes, in the even they begin to stick to one another. I have so few that I demand that they all stand independently and look hot.

Maybe we should have a make-up party somewhere. How fun would that be?
Punki, I think as popular as this thread has been you should start another thread about something like the perfect foundation or lipstick and so on.

Last edited by MissJoeyDFW; Apr 5, 2007 at 6:50 am
Old Apr 5, 2007, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Punki
Thank you, kuroneko. I will definitely give the SHISEIDO THE MAKEUP MASCARA BASE a try.
While you're at the counter, you should also ask the salesperson to let you try the Shiseido curler to see if it works for you. I know that the Shu Uemura curler always gets written up in magazines, but I've tried both and for me Shiseido works a tad better. (I think it really depends on the curve of the curler--for me, the Shiseido curler lets me really get to the root of the lashes and the rounded pad give's a round, rather than straight up curl)

Anyway, the main advantage of the base for me is that it helps my lashes hold the curl once I've curled them.

I also mixed up the price of the base and curler in my previous post--I think the base is more like USD 23, and the curler is around USD 17. Anyway, both have an exalted status in my train case.

Would love to hear how it works out for you
Old Apr 5, 2007, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW
Punki, I think as popular as this thread has been you should start another thread about something like the perfect foundation or lipstick and so on.
Yes, yes!

And the perfect concealer, too.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United Plat
Originally Posted by obscure2k
My make-up guy doesn't believe in mascara for bottom lashes.
That's what I do too - none on the bottom unless I'm feeling wacky. I've done a side-by-side (one eye with top and bottom, one eye just with top) - I feel like top and bottom makes my eyes look smaller. A huge fringe of black around a tiny little eye.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kuroneko
Yes, yes!

And the perfect concealer, too.
Cle de Peau makes a great concealer....but very expensive. Cover FX does as well....harder to find, but some Nordstrom stores carry it.

I always use an eyelash curler. To me, the Shiseido eyelash curler is very good, but I think Shu Uemura is even better. I have both.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by BaliParis
To me, the Shiseido eyelash curler is very good, but I think Shu Uemura is even better. I have both.
I've always wondered about these. I use a plain old Revlon or some other drugstore brand. (My daughter always asks why I'm cutting my eyelashes.) What's the difference?

Love the Blinc mascara, which I tried as a result of this thread. I, too, no longer have dark undereye circles.

I like the Janet Sartin concealer and the rest of the line, although I seldom use more than the concealer and the powder.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 4:13 pm

[QUOTE=KweezyFlyer;7532952]I've always wondered about these. I use a plain old Revlon or some other drugstore brand. (My daughter always asks why I'm cutting my eyelashes.) What's the difference?

I used to use Revlon prior to Shu Uemura, I noticed a big difference in how much better my lashes were curled with the Shu Uemura. Perhaps, it was the result of new curler versus old used one? Then I bought the Shiseido several years ago, saw slight difference. They are made slightly different, which probably affects in the way they curl.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 4:25 pm

I'd say that if you want to try these curlers (shu or shi), you can always stop by the counter and try it out. They may or may not work for you, and you can judge for yourself if it makes a difference. The salesperson can sterilize them for you, so it should be safe.

I used a number of Revlon curlers for many, many years and thought they were just fine until I discovered the Shiseido curler. My personal observation is that these curlers just seem to fit the eye better (on me, anyway) and allow me to get closer the the root. Also, the curl seems to be more rounded rather than "pinched up", if that makes any sense. This seems to not only look more natural, but also last longer due to a more gentle curve.

I don't know about the shu, but the shi curlers can be purchased much cheaper in Asia than in the u.s. (unlike the actual makeup, which ends up being pretty much the same price). In China I bought one for the equivalent of about USD 8, and in Taiwan, I paid about USD 6.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 4:38 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
I picked up a tube of Blinc last week, and I am amazed that I no longer have black marks under my eyes... look much less tired, and younger

It doesn't seem like the stuff is doing anything until after it dries... I even use Bare Escentuals gold mascara on top and it looks great!^
Old Apr 6, 2007, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
How does everyone get Blinc to stop from clumping your lashes together? I have a lot of long & fairly thick eyelashes & besides the splattering factor, I'm really having to work to separate them from each other with another dry bristle brush. About to hand over to my daughter...
Old Apr 13, 2007, 4:50 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I have trouble keeping blinc from making my lashes stick together too. Lately, I've found I'm more successful if I don't follow the directions instructing me to wiggle the brush around when applying, and just apply with a smooth motion from the bast to the tip of lashes. I also am very, very light-handed in my application. I put a few really light coats on.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 1:53 pm

I was pleasantly surprised that Costco has YSL Volume Effect Faux Cils Luxurious Mascara for $15.99. It is $26.50 at department stores. I really like this mascara and packaging is wonderful too.

I also received Fiberwig mascara from Sephora but have not tried yet. It claims "It's Paint-On False Lashes!, No more raccoon eyes" I was curious.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 5:53 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
svenskaflicka:...I use a metal eye lash comb or a tiny safety pin to separate the lashes, in the even they begin to stick to one another...

Oh dear! A PIN near your eyes? That made my eyes tear up a bit!

The best, best, best mascara is L'oreal Lash Out. I constantly have women (and even men) asking me about the mascara I use. Only when I am doing make up for a costume-type party do I use mascara on the bottom lashes....and then, the brush perpendicular to the lashes is the way to go.

And for the love of crumbcake, ladies, always curl your lashes before applying mascara....It helps to open your eyes. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.