Wiki Posts
Search

The WestJet 737 MAX 8 thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by aerobod
Both WestJet and Air Canada seem to have settled on 1 July as the earliest MAX 8s will be back in the schedule.
AC just pushed that back to 14JUL as noted here.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
AC just pushed that back to 14JUL as noted here.
AC released a PDF timetable through July 14th, but are still currently planning on a return to service of the MAX of July 1st.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:31 pm

According to the AC PDF timetable, there is Max flying in June.
Of course the PDF timetable isn't reliable for much.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Idly checking YHZ-LGW I find that in May the flight shows a 737-700 and in June it shows a 737-800. In mid-july when I am travelling it still shows the MAX8.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:44 am

WestJet reshuffles cabin mods to manage MAX groundings

Canadian LCC WestJet Airline is managing the Boeing 737 MAX grounding in part by re-shuffling its cabin-modification schedule, pulling 737 Next Generation (NG) models out of planned upgrade lines and subbing in MAXs.

The Calgary-based carrier operates 13 of the newest 737s, and like the rest of its Boeing narrowbody fleet, the MAXs are part of a cabin-upgrade program tied to the introduction of its 787s earlier this year.

https://atwonline.com/mro/mro-americ...max-groundings
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

And the first round of YHZ-CDG flights have been downgauged a second time: MAX8-->737-800--> 737-700. 2 bathrooms for 130 seats instead of 3 for 168 will be 6 hours of fun. At least it's overnight.

For some reason, everyone that wants to sit around us on the 6th row now has to pay a Preferred Seat Rate ($56), but only on the right side of the plane. The equivalent seats on the left side are still $25. Any idea why this happens? Do rows 4-7 DEF on the 737-700 have higher seat pitch? Just an artificial restriction of supply?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by tecate55
And the first round of YHZ-CDG flights have been downgauged a second time: MAX8-->737-800--> 737-700. 2 bathrooms for 130 seats instead of 3 for 168 will be 6 hours of fun. At least it's overnight.

For some reason, everyone that wants to sit around us on the 6th row now has to pay a Preferred Seat Rate ($56), but only on the right side of the plane. The equivalent seats on the left side are still $25. Any idea why this happens? Do rows 4-7 DEF on the 737-700 have higher seat pitch? Just an artificial restriction of supply?
Answer here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30919113-post2.html
tecate55 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:19 am

C-FRYV moved from YLW-YVR
C-FRAX moved from YLW-YVR
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:15 am

Comms

is it just me or is WJ not doing a particular stellar job of communicating impacts of and mitigation strategies for the Max grounding? AC are clearly communicating the impact via Press releases and twitter. WJ not so much. Or M I looking in the wrong places?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
is it just me or is WJ not doing a particular stellar job of communicating impacts of and mitigation strategies for the Max grounding? AC are clearly communicating the impact via Press releases and twitter. WJ not so much. Or M I looking in the wrong places?
Not sure what you would want to hear, but they have a tab under “Advisories” on the website giving current status (bookings reaccommodated until June 3 at present) and there is typically a press interview every couple of weeks with Ed Sims where it is one of the topics discussed, such as this one from yesterday: https://business.financialpost.com/t...plan-continues. There isn’t any firm news for any airline when they will be back in service at this point, so any updates in that regard are pure speculation.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
To add to aerobod's comments above, WS likely isn't suffering quite as badly as AC, since a number of the Max routes can be covered off effectively with existing NG airframes. Not all, but probably most.

AC, by comparison, has major problems and thus more need to get the word out about mitigation plans.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Symmetre
To add to aerobod's comments above, WS likely isn't suffering quite as badly as AC, since a number of the Max routes can be covered off effectively with existing NG airframes. Not all, but probably most.

AC, by comparison, has major problems and thus more need to get the word out about mitigation plans.
From what I can tell from talking with friends at WestJet and the schedule, most flying has been adjusted for only a small impact through a number of paths:

- Planned Business class upgrade besides the MAXs will be delayed, freeing up several aircraft.
- Swoop expansion will be delayed (was due to add 4 more aircraft this year).
- High frequency routes have been consolidated to free up several more tails.
- Q400s flying more on a few routes where they can help.
- Dreamliners will fly more than originally planned to cover some domestic flying.
- New routes that could have been announced will be delayed to stall route expansion.

Overall they seem to have adjusted quite well, I flew YYC to MCO on Wed (which has often been a MAX 8 in the past, is a -800 or -700 these days) and there were 4 almost full flights to the US boarding at the same time, all seemed to be going on time and efficiently.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:16 am

Not sure what you would want to hear, but they have a tab under “Advisories” on the website giving current status (bookings reaccommodated until June 3 at present) and there is typically a press interview every couple of weeks with Ed Sims where it is one of the topics discussed, such as this one from yesterday: https://business.financialpost.com/t...plan-continues. There isn’t any firm news for any airline when they will be back in service at this point, so any updates in that regard are pure speculation.
Specifically - that there will be an aircraft substitution for YHZ-LGW in mid July and LGW-YHZ in early Aug - rather than my flights being cancelled or having to re-route via YYZ. (We are originating and returning to YYT). As May/June flights have been changed to other 737 aircraft, I'm assuming that will be the case but would like confirmation. If I were travelling directly on AC (which we're not because it was twice the price of WJ) then I would clearly know by now that we'd be getting re-routed via YYZ/YUL. With WJ, I can but guess at present.

Generally it feels like AC is more out in front of comms on this subject than WJ but I accept that they might have more to mitigate.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:39 am

Specifically - that there will be an aircraft substitution for YHZ-LGW in mid July and LGW-YHZ in early Aug - rather than my flights being cancelled or having to re-route via YYZ. (We are originating and returning to YYT). As May/June flights have been changed to other 737 aircraft, I'm assuming that will be the case but would like confirmation. If I were travelling directly on AC (which we're not because it was twice the price of WJ) then I would clearly know by now that we'd be getting re-routed via YYZ/YUL. With WJ, I can but guess at present.

Generally it feels like AC is more out in front of comms on this subject than WJ but I accept that they might have more to mitigate.
In May and June depending on the day (which will determine the original seat requirements) 737-700 and 737-800s have been substituted for the MAX 8 on YHZ-LGW-YHZ, I’m sure this will continue until the MAX 8s are back on the route, WestJet won’t need to send any change notification unless someone has booked a specific seat in the back few rows in a MAX and a -700 is the substitute on a specific day.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

In May and June depending on the day (which will determine the original seat requirements) 737-700 and 737-800s have been substituted for the MAX 8 on YHZ-LGW-YHZ, I’m sure this will continue until the MAX 8s are back on the route, WestJet won’t need to send any change notification unless someone has booked a specific seat in the back few rows in a MAX and a -700 is the substitute on a specific day.
They changed our paid seat selection around with no notification. Unless they're breaking up a group, notification just wastes time.

Now that I think about it, WJ once rebooked us on an AC flight in the past. Didn't get any notice. Only found out when I got weird errors while trying to OLCI. Departure time was basically unchanged, but would have sucked to arrive dangerously and discover I'm at the wrong terminal. Got WJ $ and 100% Aeroplan pts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.