Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet to launch ultra-low-cost carrier 'Swoop’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
YHM is an interesting one. I try to use it whenever I can, simply because it's close to where I live and I can then avoid the traffic circus that goes hand in hand with driving to and from YYZ. Unfortunately, I usually wind up flying out of YYZ regardless, simply because there is such limited service from YHM.

Ironically, the fares ex-YHM are usually higher than it costs for the same trip ex-YYZ. That's a reflection of passenger volume, I guess, but it doesn't help the idea of smaller airports being cheaper.

YHM doesn't really compete with BUF since it doesn't offer flights to the US. I think most people who drive to BUF do it because flights to US destinations out of there are generally cheaper than they are from YYZ. Not sure if that's still the case though, given today's exchange rates.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://globalnews.ca/news/3653321/ne...de-of-calgary/

New WestJet discount airline ‘may be based outside of Calgary’

Less than a week after WestJet announced the launch of its new no-frills, low-cost airline will be delayed until next summer, the company says it’s looking into the potential of a different home base for the discount operation.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
http://globalnews.ca/news/3653321/ne...de-of-calgary/

New WestJet discount airline ‘may be based outside of Calgary’

Less than a week after WestJet announced the launch of its new no-frills, low-cost airline will be delayed until next summer, the company says it’s looking into the potential of a different home base for the discount operation.
I'm still wondering it will be based ANYWHERE - as in never launched. Does it make business sense to do ULCC and add significant increase in widebody service in the next few years?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: AC, Bonvoy, HH

http://business.financialpost.com/tr...-carrier-swoop

WestJet Airlines said it will offer fares that are 40 per cent cheaper than those currently available in Canada as it unveiled new details about Swoop, the ultra-low-cost carrier it plans on launching next summer.

After months of behind-the-scenes planning, WestJet revealed the new name and logo of its no-frills carrier, which will operate as a separate and distinct brand within the WestJet family. Swoop is expected to start selling discounted tickets in early 2018 and will begin flying passengers on six Boeing 737-800s in late June of 2018.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Can't say I'm enamoured with the name. Just MHO.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:21 am

This being a bilingual country, I tried looking up the French word for Swoop. I came up with Plonger (to plunge).

Google also gives synonyms for the word swoop. They are: plunge, fall, drop, descent, dive, chute, slide, tumble, plummet, descend, fall, cascade, take a header, raid,

I agree, not a great choice for a name.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by DoctorDoug
This being a bilingual country, I tried looking up the French word for Swoop. I came up with Plonger (to plunge).

Google also gives synonyms for the word swoop. They are: plunge, fall, drop, descent, dive, chute, slide, tumble, plummet, descend, fall, cascade, take a header, raid,

I agree, not a great choice for a name.
I always pictured a swoop as when a bird dives down to retrieve something / attack someone and then accelerates back upwards without actually touching the ground. Probably not the most fun experience on a plane unless you can see through the front window though
Old Sep 27, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Hmmmm, so when the cleaners are servicing the airplane, they can say that they are sweeping the swoop?

We can have a lot of fun with this name!!!!

Last edited by Arthurrs; Sep 27, 2017 at 8:42 am
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Swoop swoop ba-doop
Swoop ba-doop
Swoop ba-doop ba-doop ba-doop
Swoop ba-doop
Swoop ba-doop
Swoop ba-doop ba-doop ba-doop
Old Sep 27, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Angry

We can have a lot of fun with this name!!!! [/QUOTE]

maybe thats the whole idea, I might feel sorry for the crews though "what airline do you fly for? Swoop...what!!!!"
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
As long as they don't start Swooping routes I frequently travel (e.g YVR-OGG), it'll be fine.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I enjoy my creature comforts. I will not stoop to Swoop. Agree with Sopwith, just don't replace any existing mainline routes as AC did with rouge.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:25 am

Seems like the carriers are running out of names...
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: TK*G
Possible Routes

No word on where they intend to fly, but perhaps some insight can be gleaned from the 'jobs' portion of their website. There is a dropdown menu there to indicate where you live, and the options are:

Abbotsford, Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Regina, Saskatoon, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg, United States, and Other

Could mean absolutely nothing of course, but interesting to see which cities they've selected (not sure why they would arbitrarily list Abbotsford and Hamilton if they don't intend to fly there).
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New marketing campaign: Swap to Swoop !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.