Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet to launch ultra-low-cost carrier 'Swoop’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet to launch ultra-low-cost carrier 'Swoop’

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
You guys are worrying about this wayyyy too much. This is an empty threat. End of story. Book your trips as planned. You can't control this, and there is probably a 1% chance it will affect your trips 9 months from now
Old Apr 26, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
You guys are worrying about this wayyyy too much. This is an empty threat. End of story. Book your trips as planned. You can't control this, and there is probably a 1% chance it will affect your trips 9 months from now
I am inclined to agree.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:44 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
I don't think people are worried about their trips. I think people are more worried about the airline. (rightfully so)

Even if trips are affected, like when AC "rouged" routes, full refunds/reroutes were offered. It is my suspicion that WestJet would probably initially launch new routes with the ULCC, not offload existing ones.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: AC 35K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by james dean
I know a lot of folks were unhappy when YVR-LAX-YVR went to Rouge...read: no business class, but as it turns out Premium Rouge on the narrow body aircraft is pretty similar to mainline J-class. Now it's back to a mainline route anyway, not sure if all the complaining helped...
Their 319s started off with blocked middle seats in regular Y Rouge seats for J, before being converted to the mainline J seats. That was a key reason for the complaints.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Business travel tends to only be booked weeks in advance, but sometimes months (ie for conferences) in advance.
Agreed. About half of my business travel is to conferences and trade shows, with the dates published up to three years in advance. I tend to book these trips as soon as I can, mainly to guarantee I get into the specific hotels that I want and to secure my preferred travel times (I'm no fan of early morning flights). The rest of it is fairly dynamic, booked anywhere from a few weeks to a few hours prior to travel.

It will be interesting to see how the fall and winter unfold, and what this ULCC brings to the table.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by gregster
Their 319s started off with blocked middle seats in regular Y Rouge seats for J, before being converted to the mainline J seats. That was a key reason for the complaints.
Oh yes, that is correct...it was almost scandalous at the time, lots of celeb's etc do this run and AC lost them all to United...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by gregster
That was one of the big complaints among FlyerTalkers - plenty of elite level flyers upset at losing upgrades to proper J class.

That wasn't at all my issue, although I was E50K with AC at the time. I'm a Y-class traveler (other than the occasional upgrade).

My issues: Rouge flight # 1 - booked mainline, flight switched from mainline to Rouge, thought "how bad could it be", found out that I absolutely do not fit in that "HD" seating in Y (in spite of AC's continuing markting BS claiming that their "slimline seats provide extra room". Worst flight I've ever had. Flight 2: Next segment. Too late to change. Told multiple AC agents that I needed help because it was impossible for me to fit in the seat. Multiple agents told me my only recourse was to buy Rouge's business class if I wanted a seat that a 6'4" person could fit in. Essentially told that, as a tall person, I had to pay gobs more money if I wanted to fly with them. (At that very moment, considered myself fired as an AC customer.). Next up: AC mainline flights on a route converted to Rouge. But the conversion left the route (YYC-PHX) suddenly unserved for about 90 days -- during which time I had been booked to fly. AC agents told me, a supposedly valued Elite customer, that my only option was to fly Rouge to LAX (and pay lots of $$ if I wanted to actually fit - as the measly 6 preferred seats were already gone), change terminals, then connect on UA. I had to argue and escalate over a number of days to get a refund for that one.

For me, I didn't get burned by Rouge because it didn't allow me a big seat in business class. Instead, I had awful, awful experiences with the product and with how AC rolled it out.

Am I being too concerned about WS adding a ULCC? I really, really hope so.

But, so far, this sounds like a bit of a re-run of Rouge. God I hope I'm wrong.

(Just in case I've left any doubt, I will never in my life step foot on LessJet, or Teal, or whatever this WestJet ULCC is.)

Last edited by FlyerJ; Apr 28, 2017 at 9:09 pm
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
My one and only flight with Rogue was on a 319 with 29" pitch. Even at average 5'-10" height my knees were against the seat back. I won't do it again.

Note to Westjet: 29" pitch DOESNT WORK! And the so-called slimline seats are a cruel hoax.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by Sopwith
My one and only flight with Rogue was on a 319 with 29" pitch. Even at average 5'-10" height my knees were against the seat back. I won't do it again.

Note to Westjet: 29" pitch DOESNT WORK! And the so-called slimline seats are a cruel hoax.

And so are those seats on the WestJet Dash-8's. Probably the most uncomfortable seat of any airline I have ever flown. Not only are the Dash-8's uncomfortable for those 2 hour flights they offer between YMM and YVR because the seats are just way too narrow and I hate being cuddled up for 2 hours against other people, but the seats are rock hard. This past week I flew an AC Dash-8 from YVR to YMM and the seats were surprisingly much more comfortable.

My ask to WS is to please not go slimline any more and please bring back 737 service to YMM within in the province and to YVR.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://crankyflier.com/2017/04/24/we...-cost-carrier/
Old Apr 30, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
the rhetoric is heating up at the AvCanada (Westjet) over this whole ULCC, from what I'm reading there is concern from the pilots persecutive as well as us pax...
http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewt...?f=36&t=115841
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Just when you thought things couldn’t get weirder north of the border, ...
Weirder north of the border? The guy must be smoking something.
Old May 1, 2017, 1:02 pm

http://aviationweek.com/awincommerci...ad-westjet-lcc
Old May 1, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Milage Plan; Hhonors;
Originally Posted by Symmetre
This is extremely interesting in two different ways. Obviously, it would be great to see Canada have a true ULCC with regularly scheduled service (as opposed to a charter operation) and with "low cost" actually extending to the consumer, not just the operator as AtlanticXpat noted.

But beyond that, could having a ULCC subsidiary (?) open the door to Westjet mainline joining an alliance and further developing its value prop for business travel? If Westjet were part of Skyteam, my annual spend with them could more than double.
i am with you... $10,000's could be moved with a full alliance membership, reciprocal benefits and the ULCC also trailing along with perhaps QS only?
Old May 1, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Milage Plan; Hhonors;
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Not necessarily. The aircraft is the same to operate, but they make money the same way rouge does:

1) Cram way more seats in the same aircraft and lower seat pitch to 29".
2) Hire staff at lower wages (typically younger folks in their 20s) than mainline.

You do that, suddenly some marginal routes become profitable.
3) Fly from fringe airports with lower operating costs.

Just one example and I am sure there are others:

- YKF has some of the lowest, if not the lowest, airport fees in the country for airlines
- YKF is 83km from yyz; an alternate to YYZ for those west of YYZ
- YHM is serviced by WS legacy service which could be cannibalized
- YHM is closer to the BUF/IAG draw/competition (Including Spirit/Allegiant)
- YXU is too far from GTA to be YYZ alternate and associated volume
- YXU is serviced by WS legacy service which would be cannibalized
- YKF direct catchment population of 730k within 35km radios, which accounts for 2.5m air trips annually.
- YYZ is nearing capacity (70m pax) in less than 20 yrs
- YKF sits next the GO line and planned station, with anticipated service expansion including proposed high speed into a YYZ multi-modal hub.
- Government approval and support of the airport's master plan and staged expansion goals
- $9/day parking!

I have given this some thought but always welcome the knowledgeable insight of others. Are there other domestic airports similar you can think of?

Would I fly YKF - SFB, avoid Pearson and pay less including a few bucks for baggage, snacks and a drink? you bet!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.