Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet to launch ultra-low-cost carrier 'Swoop’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet to launch ultra-low-cost carrier 'Swoop’

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by cur
why government needs to protect consumers from themselves beats me. <snip> there are enough rules in canada and things are expensive enough.
The point is that we need regulation to protect some consumers from the others who obsess over cheap flights and thereby indirectly inflict discomfort and inconvenience on the rest of us. There is a limit as to what we should have to endure. We have reached that point and then some.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:21 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Sopwith
The point is that we need regulation to protect some consumers from the others who obsess over cheap flights and thereby indirectly inflict discomfort and inconvenience on the rest of us. There is a limit as to what we should have to endure. We have reached that point and then some.
the "we need to protect 'some' (more like the vast majority of) consumers from the others" can be best rebuked in the words of someone else
That is our “revealed preference” — what economists call “the things people actually do, rather than what they say.” Customers prefer ultra-cheap air travel. The best way to make the tickets cheaper is to put more people in an airplane.

But that’s because there’s no point in shopping. The major airlines are all terrible.

Okay, but major airlines and startups have experimented with better service — more legroom and wider seats, more amenities. This meant carrying fewer passengers. It turned out people wouldn’t consistently pay those higher prices; despite heavily advertising their better amenities, the airlines in question generally ended up going out of business, or switching to the “cattle class” service we all know and hate.

The market has spoken pretty loudly; it’s just that we don’t like what it’s saying.
https://skift.com/2017/04/18/column-...s-to-overbook/
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Anyone want to put a wager on the odds of this actually happening? I bet this is a bluff.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Anyone want to put a wager on the odds of this actually happening? I bet this is a bluff.
Totally, besides it will not work in the Canadian market, Europe yes, here no!!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
That is our “revealed preference” — what economists call “the things people actually do, rather than what they say.” Customers prefer ultra-cheap air travel. The best way to make the tickets cheaper is to put more people in an airplane.

But that’s because there’s no point in shopping. The major airlines are all terrible.

Okay, but major airlines and startups have experimented with better service — more legroom and wider seats, more amenities. This meant carrying fewer passengers. It turned out people wouldn’t consistently pay those higher prices; despite heavily advertising their better amenities, the airlines in question generally ended up going out of business, or switching to the “cattle class” service we all know and hate.

The market has spoken pretty loudly; it’s just that we don’t like what it’s saying.
Yes. This is precisely why we need regulation. If you follow this line of reasoning we wouldn't have seat belts in cars because a majority of people are too cheap to pay for them.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:47 pm

Yes. This is precisely why we need regulation. If you follow this line of reasoning we wouldn't have seat belts in cars because a majority of people are too cheap to pay for them.
People shouldn't be allowed to travel on LCC if their vehicle isn't second hand, their hotel has more than three stars, their cup of coffee costs more than $2, their restaurant meals are served at a table, their phone has a data plan.

If you can afford better than the above, you can afford a couple extra inches of legroom, a free beverage and the choice of salty or sweet.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:32 am
cur

this is such a ridiculous statement that only an apologist to the almighty lord of the provincial government kingdom would make. with this logic we should regulate out all non-audi and benz because the chev cruz and smart cars are simply not strong enough. better yet we should create infrastructure better suited for cyclists but also require all cyclists wear helmets or else they face the full force of the law. nonetheless yes maybe you have a point we need more regulations and employees and supervisors of said employees to ensure everyone is safe. but yes. people are too cheap for seatbelts and the only solution to that is even more bloated government to remind people to wear their seatbelt.

btw i facetiously totally did not get a ticket from a pig on a segway for daring ride a bicycle in vancouver without a helmet today. right up there with australia.

Originally Posted by tracon
People shouldn't be allowed to travel on LCC if their vehicle isn't second hand, their hotel has more than three stars, their cup of coffee costs more than $2, their restaurant meals are served at a table, their phone has a data plan.

If you can afford better than the above, you can afford a couple extra inches of legroom, a free beverage and the choice of salty or sweet.
only that people won't

but woah woah woah is what you proposed within regulation? very important, at least in canada. we need regulation to tell us to wear seatbelts
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
I don't think it will happen. If will help scare off investors in the start-ups.

What may happen is WestJet becomes more like Air Canada with regular business class seats in the new fleet as it comes online. A Rouge like service gets introduced to some of the low yield destinations. Air Canada had Tango and that other one with the colourful 737s. Once all the ULCC go out of business WestJet will merge the operation back into mainline. Perhaps it will live on a special kind of discount ticket (e.g. a blue tango).

I think what we witnessed with Royal, Canada 3000, Harmony, JetsGo, CanJet and the others is if they try to play on the major trunk and business routes the two incumbent airlines will slaughter them. So they play in the tourist market. The difference is when it was Canadian and Air Canada, they did not care that much about the tourist market. That has all changed. WestJet is big in that market and Air Canada now has rouge.

These start-ups will get slaughtered. A few press releases is a cheaper way of killing them off before they start.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:40 am
cur

what i don't get is why ulcc isn't going the eu ulcc ruote and flying out of general aviation airports (eg in calgary: springbank, or edmonton: yxd [assuming those runways are long enough for a 737? or possibility they can be expanded paid for by the airline?], even make people drive and go to yqf..i'd do it if parking were cheap..i have to pay $850 out of pocket to fly yeg to northern ontario for a personal matter next week....i can go london to mauritius for less) or periphery airports (yxx) or stupid white elephants caused solely by government incompetence (ymx) or even border airports using _th freedom (buf, bli). by flying out of yeg or yvr (or soon yyc), you're just enabling the problem that is causing the niche for ulcc in the first place (ie $70 fare, $60 in aif, 20 in navcan, 10 in catsa, 10 in misc taxes). therefore the entire proposition of ulcc in canada is self defeating. it's a facade.

being canada is canada there is probably some stupid regulation or "market" force that makes such unfeasible (cough catsa cough transport canada saying the fence around the aerodrome is 3 inches too short cough the current structure of airports that inherently de-incentivize innovation and competition cough springbank is managed by yyc cough they're so incompetent and entrenched they don't see the opportunity in a lcc startup there in entrepreneurial alberta cough there's probably some rule that forbids an airline building its own exclusive terminal for its operations at zero cost to the airport authority or taxpayers). you look at iah and all of the initial (1990s) and current (c north, b north) expansion and renovation--even the skytrain--that was financed fully by continental/(now)united. no aif, no cost to taxpayers (city of houston runs iah)

it is obvious ws is attacking competition. not that there is anything wrong with that, apart from the fact government is enabling the duopoly.

can somebody explain to me the merit of not having 100 per cent foreign investment in an firm in an industry like this? if they fail so what, not 'our' money? is it that government is afraid they may succeed? i'm not trying to be snide, i sincerely do not get this protectionism. with that stupid laptop ban and ek's 10% cut in flying to the usa, there is even more of an opportunity for canada, and a tons of jobs to be created. not to mention the benefit to consumers

Last edited by cur; Apr 22, 2017 at 11:57 am
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by cur
what i don't get is why ulcc isn't going the eu ulcc ruote and flying out of general aviation airports (eg in calgary: springbank, or edmonton: yxd [assuming those runways are long enough for a 737? or possibility they can be expanded paid for by the airline?],
YXD was closed a few years ago to build a low-income housing project. There is a new airport west of Edmonton called Parkland but they're already insolvent.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by cur
what i don't get is why ulcc isn't going the eu ulcc ruote and flying out of general aviation airports (eg in calgary: springbank, or edmonton: yxd [assuming those runways are long enough for a 737? or possibility they can be expanded paid for by the airline?], even make people drive and go to yqf..i'd do it if parking were cheap..i have to pay $850 out of pocket to fly yeg to northern ontario for a personal matter next week....i can go london to mauritius for less) or periphery airports (yxx) or stupid white elephants caused solely by government incompetence (ymx) or even border airports using _th freedom (buf, bli). by flying out of yeg or yvr (or soon yyc), you're just enabling the problem that is causing the niche for ulcc in the first place (ie $70 fare, $60 in aif, 20 in navcan, 10 in catsa, 10 in misc taxes). therefore the entire proposition of ulcc in canada is self defeating. it's a facade.

being canada is canada there is probably some stupid regulation or "market" force that makes such unfeasible (cough catsa cough transport canada saying the fence around the aerodrome is 3 inches too short cough the current structure of airports that inherently de-incentivize innovation and competition cough springbank is managed by yyc cough they're so incompetent and entrenched they don't see the opportunity in a lcc startup there in entrepreneurial alberta cough there's probably some rule that forbids an airline building its own exclusive terminal for its operations at zero cost to the airport authority or taxpayers). you look at iah and all of the initial (1990s) and current (c north, b north) expansion and renovation--even the skytrain--that was financed fully by continental/(now)united. no aif, no cost to taxpayers (city of houston runs iah)

it is obvious ws is attacking competition. not that there is anything wrong with that, apart from the fact government is enabling the duopoly.

can somebody explain to me the merit of not having 100 per cent foreign investment in an firm in an industry like this? if they fail so what, not 'our' money? is it that government is afraid they may succeed? i'm not trying to be snide, i sincerely do not get this protectionism. with that stupid laptop ban and ek's 10% cut in flying to the usa, there is even more of an opportunity for canada, and a tons of jobs to be created. not to mention the benefit to consumers
Is your "Shift" key broken?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
its a bluff

I second this one and can add more details.....to begin with, WS already operates like a ULCC carrier. Designating a few 737-800's does nothing to lower their operating costs (which are already much lower than AC).
Who is WS trying to bluff? Not the investors. They get it. Perhaps the pilots union. Also, the FAs.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I second this one and can add more details.....to begin with, WS already operates like a ULCC carrier. Designating a few 737-800's does nothing to lower their operating costs (which are already much lower than AC).
Who is WS trying to bluff? Not the investors. They get it. Perhaps the pilots union. Also, the FAs.
Not necessarily. The aircraft is the same to operate, but they make money the same way rouge does:

1) Cram way more seats in the same aircraft and lower seat pitch to 29".
2) Hire staff at lower wages (typically younger folks in their 20s) than mainline.

You do that, suddenly some marginal routes become profitable.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Not necessarily. The aircraft is the same to operate, but they make money the same way rouge does:

1) Cram way more seats in the same aircraft and lower seat pitch to 29".
2) Hire staff at lower wages (typically younger folks in their 20s) than mainline.

You do that, suddenly some marginal routes become profitable.
.....and use older aircraft that are already bought and paid for so there is no depreciation it factor in.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by cur
what i don't get is why ulcc isn't going the eu ulcc ruote and flying out of general aviation airports (eg in calgary: springbank, or edmonton: yxd [assuming those runways are long enough for a 737? or possibility they can be expanded paid for by the airline?],....

The alternative airports work in Europe because the airport charges lower landing fees than the main airport for the city. The main airport is also usually congested meaning sub-optimal aircraft utilisation and extra delays. I am not certain there is a significant cost differences to run flights in and out of Vancouver vrs Abbotsford. It was Heathrow vrs Stansted there is a difference.

I was told long ago that the limits on foreign ownership were tied up in international treaties. Canada and US sign an open skies deal it is for Canadian and US controlled airlines not foreign controlled airlines. Not certain how true that still is today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.