Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet to launch ultra-low-cost carrier 'Swoop’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet to launch ultra-low-cost carrier 'Swoop’

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by tracon
Plenty of jobs for pilots.
If you have poor pay and working conditions there is nothing to lose by going on strike.

If I'm not mistaken, Flair is owned by Kelowna Flightcraft.
They've been through they're fair share of economic ups and downs.
You're mistaken..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flair_Airlines

Ron.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:59 am

The link between Flair and KF is Jim Rogers - he co-founded KF and founded Flair.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Not happy about Swoop taking over YEG YXX from WJ. What really bugs me is that benefit being Gold is not recognized at all and also don't accrue WJ dollar. I know they claim it is a different company, yes, on paper. But for a WJ Gold, it is a drastic difference. Swoop will claim that the low fare makes up for it. No. Prior to Swoop I was getting great fares already on mainline WJ. Swoop prices are not that much different. From my POV, Swoop means a service decline but no significant saving for me. In fact I have to pay even more now because everything cost extra on Swoop.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Swoop is a disaster so far. I'm not sure why they decided to forego GDS and partnerships thinking Canadians would just book direct. Most have never even heard of the airline, so why would they book direct if they don't even know it exists?

The other factor is that Swoop's network is basically just an overlap of Flair Air, trying to kill them off. Bad news is that people have probably heard of Flair Air before Swoop. Did I mention that Flair also flies to real airports and has an even bigger route network?

This whole LCC project wouldn't survive on its own without burning WS cash. And likely won't survive even if taken over by WS as an "airline within an airline" (as many previous experiments in aviation history have already proved).

There is no future for Swoop.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
Swoop is a disaster so far. I'm not sure why they decided to forego GDS and partnerships thinking Canadians would just book direct. Most have never even heard of the airline, so why would they book direct if they don't even know it exists?
I'm not sure where you are getting your info from, Swoop bookings have been very strong, based on information from the people at WestJet who are close to Swoop that I know.
By design there is no GDS or partner integration or high-cost airport usage, GDS booking costs will consume all profit on a ULCC ticket when working to a 7 cent CASM ex-fuel at Swoop compared with 10 cents at mainline.

If you don't know why Swoop is set up the way it is, there is public information in this WestJet presentation, the Swoop specific info starts on slide 12: https://www.westjet.com/assets/wj-we...vestor-day.pdf
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod
I'm not sure where you are getting your info from, Swoop bookings have been very strong, based on information from the people at WestJet who are close to Swoop that I know.
By design there is no GDS or partner integration or high-cost airport usage, GDS booking costs will consume all profit on a ULCC ticket when working to a 7 cent CASM ex-fuel at Swoop compared with 10 cents at mainline.

If you don't know why Swoop is set up the way it is, there is public information in this WestJet presentation, the Swoop specific info starts on slide 12: https://www.westjet.com/assets/wj-we...vestor-day.pdf
I stand corrected then.

However, even most LCCs integrate into GDS in a limited capacity: Jin Air, Tigerair, Jetstar, Scoot, Eurowings, Joon (all examples in the presentation) can be booked via GDS. The fare buckets may be different, but they are there.

Right now I can't even see Swoop pull up in a simple Google Flights search. On my radar, it does not even exist.

So I'm surprised to hear that Swoop bookings are doing well.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:21 pm

Getting Westjet Encore to fly YEG YXX would have been fine with us instead of Swoop. Encore has the low cost structure already. I would have retained benefits as a Gold. Example of December booking would require a stop over in YYC and turns it into a 4+ hour trip. RT $316 on sale. Currently I can go non stop RT for $189 with a departure July 21. AC still recognize status when flying Rouge which is their lowest cost partner.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:22 pm

I stand corrected then.

However, even most LCCs integrate into GDS in a limited capacity: Jin Air, Tigerair, Jetstar, Scoot, Eurowings, Joon (all examples in the presentation) can be booked via GDS. The fare buckets may be different, but they are there.

Right now I can't even see Swoop pull up in a simple Google Flights search. On my radar, it does not even exist.

So I'm surprised to hear that Swoop bookings are doing well.
If you search sites such as CheapOair (who often are the top ad site for flights on Google), you will find they are screen scraping and reselling Swoop flights, often packaged with a Flair flight. They mark up the price slightly to gain a booking fee (seems to be a about $10). Ryanair pretty well shunned GDSs until they reached over 80 million passengers a year in 2014, only now are they seeking to gain business travellers by using GDSs.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:27 pm

A lot of people still use Expedia to book hotel and flights.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Sunny Day
A lot of people still use Expedia to book hotel and flights.
Many won't be the same type of traveller. Many Swoop and Flair travellers will typically look at bus and car sharing as well as flying or not travel at all. Towards the end of this month all-in prices return on WestJet and Air Canada that will show up on Expedia from YEG to YHM or YYZ are typically $600 to $1000, on CheapOair or Flight Hub where Swoop and Flair show up, it is typically less than $400 return before bags.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Getting Westjet Encore to fly YEG YXX would have been fine with us instead of Swoop. Encore has the low cost structure already. I would have retained benefits as a Gold. Example of December booking would require a stop over in YYC and turns it into a 4+ hour trip. RT $316 on sale. Currently I can go non stop RT for $189 with a departure July 21. AC still recognize status when flying Rouge which is their lowest cost partner.
Wouldn't look too good on the books with Westjet selling $19 YXX-YEG flights on the mainline. With Swoop they can say it's "the cost of competition" or whatever.

Ron.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:56 am

Did I mention that Flair also flies to real airports and has an even bigger route network?
Real airport? As opposed to a fake one? So YHM and YXX are fake airports? Is there a fair sized terminal with CBSA and CATSA services? Yes! Is there an air traffic control tower? Yes. Are there commercial aircraft that take off and land? Yes.

So I guess one can confidently say that YHM and YXX are most definitely real airports.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!

The other factor is that Swoop's network is basically just an overlap of Flair Air, trying to kill them off. Bad news is that people have probably heard of Flair Air before Swoop. Did I mention that Flair also flies to real airports and has an even bigger route network?

This whole LCC project wouldn't survive on its own without burning WS cash. And likely won't survive even if taken over by WS as an "airline within an airline" (as many previous experiments in aviation history have already proved).

I don't know about that. I was coming home from Winnipeg earlier in the week and walked past the gate where the Swoop flight to YXX was boarding. The gate area was packed, it was probably a full plane or very close to it. The two flights I did on Swoop last month (to/from YHZ) were similarly full.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by YYCguy

Real airport? As opposed to a fake one? So YHM and YXX are fake airports? Is there a fair sized terminal with CBSA and CATSA services? Yes! Is there an air traffic control tower? Yes. Are there commercial aircraft that take off and land? Yes.

So I guess one can confidently say that YHM and YXX are most definitely real airports.
Come on, you know what I mean. Hamilton is the Paris-Beauvais of Canada.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:05 am

The best ULCC airport has the following characteristics:

Cheap building (such as insulated steel shed type construction)
Compact rectangular terminal with polished concrete floor
Minimal seating to optimise floor space usage
Cheap land cost away from major cities
No jet bridges to keep operational cost down and allow front and rear ground loading
Single runway with terminal halfway along to minimise taxi distance
Lots of cheap parking nearby (may even be in leased farmers fields)
Subsidized (by local authority) or even zero landing fees.

Where Ryanair is by far the majority operator at European airports, this "pure" model is normal, Frankfurt Hahn is a good example: Photo of Frankfurt Hahn Terminal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.