Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet to launch ultra-low-cost carrier 'Swoop’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet to launch ultra-low-cost carrier 'Swoop’

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2020, 10:32 am

I don't get the point of Swoop sometimes... In December, there are lots of dates where WS is selling cheaper than WO on the YEG-YYZ route and on the days that WO is cheaper, they are only like $10 cheaper. Why would consumers choose WO over WS if they are more expensive and have a more inferior product??
Old Oct 29, 2020, 11:36 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tracon
Interesting to see them flying at YYZ. Someone who used to be pretty senior at Swoop once told me that they would never fly to YYZ because the landing fees were just way too high to make their business model work. I wonder whether they were able to negotiate something better due to COVID, and whether this service will last once things get somewhat back to normal?
Old Mar 31, 2021, 8:58 pm

Swoop expands summer schedule:

https://canadianaviationnews.wordpre...tish-columbia/

VICTORIA, BC, March 31, 2021 /CNW/ – Today, Swoop, Canada’s leading ultra-low-cost airline, announced an expansion to its summer schedule, bringing new routes and more ultra-low fares to British Columbia. The airline’s expanded summer operations will bring new service to Victoria and celebrates the return and addition of new routes from Kelowna.

Interview with Charles Duncan:

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/swoop-ad...mand-1.1584844
Old Apr 1, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Interesting to see them flying at YYZ. Someone who used to be pretty senior at Swoop once told me that they would never fly to YYZ because the landing fees were just way too high to make their business model work. I wonder whether they were able to negotiate something better due to COVID, and whether this service will last once things get somewhat back to normal?
Perhaps they have adjusted the business model.

The old swoop business model or having people stranded and not rebooking passengers was questionable in the past. In a COVID world it makes even less sense. I don't know what their post COVID business model is going to be like.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 11:02 pm

Starting today.
YXX-YWG
YWG-YXX
Old Apr 25, 2021, 11:37 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Perhaps they have adjusted the business model.

The old swoop business model or having people stranded and not rebooking passengers was questionable in the past. In a COVID world it makes even less sense. I don't know what their post COVID business model is going to be like.
Was that really all that Swoop-specific? Recall that when WS mainline launched TATL service with the 763s, they also scheduled aggressive utilization with a very small fleet and ended up leaving many people stranded. It was an absolute farce and many people collected far more than their fares in EU261 compensation.

Perhaps with Swoop they could have re-booked pax on to mainline flights or subbed in a mainline aircraft (which is what AC did and does with rouge). It would have comprised their goal of maintaining sizeable distance between the two brands, but might have prevented so much bad press for Swoop.

As for Swoop's strategy going forward, who knows. My friend is no longer in the leadership team over there, but said he recently spoke to someone there who said the plan post-pandemic is unchanged from pre-pandemic. That would suggest that Swoop at YYZ is s temporary thing, but I can't state that definitively.

It will be interesting to see what the ULCC market is like in the next little while. On the one hand, people with lower incomes have been disproportionately impacted by the pandemic, which may hurt demand from an important segment. On the other hand, people who may have suffered financially during the pandemic but still have a few bucks kicking around might find the very low fares appealing.

Flair's transformation and growth may also help Swoop by helping educate the passengers about the benefits and trade-offs of ULCC life. This was one of the early challenges for Swoop's marketing team, and one they certainly hadn't overcome before COVID messed everything up.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 10:59 pm

Current summer and winter schedule in the link.

https://canadianaviationnews.wordpre...w-cost-travel/
Old Jun 11, 2021, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Swoop and Flair may both do well in the short-term, barring anything like a variant-forced travel suspension, as Flair could gain much ground with its domestic route network while Swoop could benefit from its sunspot & Caribbean routes for Canadians with cabin fever just itching to escape another Winter having largely missed out this past year.

I wonder if the new CEO will decide Swoop's fate but that person may not have to if the forecasted travel boom to come benefits all travel providers.
cirrusdragoon likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:28 am

Well this is a surprise... Swoop is adding its 10th 737-800 to its fleet. I don't think the W21 schedule is more than the W19 schedule, so why the need?

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/swoo...chedule-fleet/
Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by On Time Reports
Well this is a surprise... Swoop is adding its 10th 737-800 to its fleet. I don't think the W21 schedule is more than the W19 schedule, so why the need?

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/swoo...chedule-fleet/
The 10th aircraft was always planned to be moved from Mainline to Swoop around the time that Covid hit (it is the last of the -800s that WS has with the exact same config as the other Swoop aircraft), to both provide increased fleet flexibility and route capacity increase. I looks like they are just returning to the original pre-pandemic plan.
Adam Smith and Da_Master like this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 5:34 pm

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...woops-network/

Canadian ULCC Swoop plans to add three new sun destinations in the US to its network this winter with nonstop flights to St. Pete-Clearwater (PIE) and Orlando Sanford (SFB) in Florida, as well as San Diego (SAN) in California.

Swoop will operate all nine of its Boeing 737-800NGs on domestic flights this summer, with a tenth aircraft joining the fleet this coming winter. A total of 15 domestic routes are planned for the 2021/22 winter season, including flights to Halifax (YHZ) from YYZ which resume on July 16.
Da_Master and cirrusdragoon like this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 8:53 am

https://canadianaviationnews.wordpress.com/2021/06/24/hey-victoria-say-hello-to-non-stop-service-to-las-vegas-and-puerto-vallarta/

June 24, 2021 /CNW/ – Today, Swoop, Canada’s leading ultra-low fare airline announced new non-stop service from Victoria to Las Vegas and Puerto Vallarta. The airline also will celebrate its inaugural flight from Toronto to Victoria with flight WO 424 scheduled to arrive at Victoria International Airport at 12:38 p.m., local time and returning to Toronto at 1:30 p.m.

With flights now available for booking, service between Victoria International Airport (YYJ) and McCarran International Airport (LAS) will begin October 31 and operate twice weekly on Thursdays and Sundays. Flights to Puerto Vallarta’s Licenciado Gustavo Díaz Ordaz International Airport (PVR) will go on sale on June 30 with the airline set to offer non-stop service once weekly on Sundays.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 12:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
https://canadianaviationnews.wordpress.com/2021/06/24/hey-victoria-say-hello-to-non-stop-service-to-las-vegas-and-puerto-vallarta/

June 24, 2021 /CNW/ – Today, Swoop, Canada’s leading ultra-low fare airline announced new non-stop service from Victoria to Las Vegas and Puerto Vallarta. The airline also will celebrate its inaugural flight from Toronto to Victoria with flight WO 424 scheduled to arrive at Victoria International Airport at 12:38 p.m., local time and returning to Toronto at 1:30 p.m.

With flights now available for booking, service between Victoria International Airport (YYJ) and McCarran International Airport (LAS) will begin October 31 and operate twice weekly on Thursdays and Sundays. Flights to Puerto Vallarta’s Licenciado Gustavo Díaz Ordaz International Airport (PVR) will go on sale on June 30 with the airline set to offer non-stop service once weekly on Sundays.
Extremely disappointing. Pre-pandemic I was frequently flying between YYJ or YVR and LAS for business. After trying Flair once I came to the conclusion that this entire ULCC is to be avoid like the plague (or COVID). Hopefully WS comes to their sense and switches that to being a WS flight. It will be disappointing having a direct option but only under ULCC terms. I may have to consider flying Swoop. What am I saying, I will just need to continue to connect on Alaska in Seattle or WestJet or AC in YVR.
FlyerJ likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 2:21 pm

https://worldairlinenews.com/2021/11...n-at-edmonton/

Today, Swoop, Canada’s leading ultra-low fare airline, reaffirmed its commitment to the Edmonton Metropolitan Region with the announcement of new service to one U.S. and eight domestic destinations from its Western Canadian base. The airline’s significant new investments were celebrated this morning alongside the unveiling of Swoop’s newest aircraft, which will fly with the name #Edmonton.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 5:20 pm

https://worldairlinenews.com/2021/11...n-at-edmonton/

Today, Swoop, Canada’s leading ultra-low fare airline, reaffirmed its commitment to the Edmonton Metropolitan Region with the announcement of new service to one U.S. and eight domestic destinations from its Western Canadian base. The airline’s significant new investments were celebrated this morning alongside the unveiling of Swoop’s newest aircraft, which will fly with the name #Edmonton.
That completes the original set of 10 aircraft destined for Swoop that all have the same config and were in the same production run from Boeing when originally delivered to WestJet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.