Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet to launch ultra-low-cost carrier 'Swoop’

WestJet to launch ultra-low-cost carrier 'Swoop’

Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL Gold; WJ Gold
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Not happy about Swoop taking over YEG YXX from WJ. What really bugs me is that benefit being Gold is not recognized at all and also don't accrue WJ dollar. I know they claim it is a different company, yes, on paper. But for a WJ Gold, it is a drastic difference. Swoop will claim that the low fare makes up for it. No. Prior to Swoop I was getting great fares already on mainline WJ. Swoop prices are not that much different. From my POV, Swoop means a service decline but no significant saving for me. In fact I have to pay even more now because everything cost extra on Swoop.
This, this, 100x this. Totally agree with you, Sunny Day.

If WJ status isn't recognized and if Swoop fares don't count towards earning status, then it's a totally separate airline. That's okay - I'll treat it like any other airline (weighing three factors: fare, status renewal goals, and investing my travel $ in improving competition in Canadian air travel). Given they don't help at all on status renewal, and I'd rather support Flair or Porter to help increase competition in Canada, I'm not likely to fly Swoop much if ever.

But, if that's the case, it's a loss to the WJ frequent flier every time a route gets Swooped. I'll use the same example I have before, but I used to live in Phoenix and commute every other week to Calgary. If WJ Swooped the route, it's exactly the same as if they dropped the route entirely given the calculus above. At best, every flight that gets Swooped is a loss of potential WJ frequency; at worse it's a loss of a route entirely. Compare that to AC 'Rouging' a route - sure, FF can be peeved at service quality or first class seats or whatever... but at least they can still earn status, burn miles, and be acknowledged for their loyalty on the route.

And I get it... there are a bunch of fliers who consider only one factor - fare - rather than loyalty or supporting competition. I get that Swoop is (a) designed for that, and (b) aimed at beating Flair and others out of the market. And, I get that it would add a cost - however small - to offer WJ elite earn/burn/service benefits on the flights. I just wish there was more acknowledgement of the cost this has to WJ frequent fliers.
Frequentlander likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Not happy about Swoop taking over YEG YXX from WJ. What really bugs me is that benefit being Gold is not recognized at all and also don't accrue WJ dollar. I know they claim it is a different company, yes, on paper. But for a WJ Gold, it is a drastic difference. Swoop will claim that the low fare makes up for it. No. Prior to Swoop I was getting great fares already on mainline WJ. Swoop prices are not that much different. From my POV, Swoop means a service decline but no significant saving for me. In fact I have to pay even more now because everything cost extra on Swoop.
So you feel punished for being an Edmontonian??? I get that angle.

You could always connect in YYC and stay on WS mainline. But then I have a feeling you will gripe about the tarmac to tarmac service.

"It's like, Deja Vu all over again"! Yogi Berra
Old Jul 21, 2018, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Connecting is evil. Will never do that instead of a non stop on Flair. 2 Flair flights booked for September that would have gone to WS before.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Connecting is evil. Will never do that instead of a non stop on Flair. 2 Flair flights booked for September that would have gone to WS before.

I too value direct flights over connecting ones, but you're in YEG so you have limited options. It's the same reason I almost always avoid Air Canada since they route me through YYZ for everything. If it's transborder I'd rather go thru a U.S. hub and I rarely do international (non-US) flights - and if I do Europe I have lots of options in YYC and Asia is accessible via the two routes we have plus YVR is a quick jump. By all means vote with your feet
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
By all means vote with your feet
Previous poster appears to have voted with both his feet and his wallet.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:25 am

I'm calling this a win for Swoop.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/low-cost...lton-1.1118898
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by mxqisit
That didn't take long.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Swoop just doubled seat assignment charges - how nice of them!!
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:59 am

That didn't take long either......
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:05 am

The seat assignment charges have changed, likely based on demand and the introduction of the transborder flights. Some have stayed the same, for example $5 plus taxes for back standard seat at time of booking. In the future I would expect to see more dynamic pricing based on demand factors where the price can move up or down with the aim of optimising revenue, especially ensuring all the extra legroom seats are filled at flight time. This is very much in line with the Ryanair anciliary philosophy for ULCCs. This is one of the ways to move towards a zero cost base fare and still make a profit, a true and complete unbundling - something Ryanair has been touting for a number of years.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Waiting for the spin to call the price increase an "enhancement".
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:33 am
Original Member

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
Waiting for the spin to call the price increase an "enhancement".
Maybe the baggage handlers will wear white gloves and call it "White Glove Service"
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not sure comparing anything to Ryanair can be seen in a positive light!
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:32 am

I am not sure comparing anything to Ryanair can be seen in a positive light!
I've flown on Ryanair 3 times in the past and have another flight with them in Aug from LPL to BCN and in Sep from CIA to STN. I would say that Ryanair gets about 50% of my business for my intra-European flying now due to a combination of price, on-time performance and predictability. They are an excellent flying bus service if you take the following into account:

- there is no ticket flexibility, use credit card or other insurance to cover ticket refund in extenuating circumstances, don't plan on ever changing the Ryanair ticket;
- if you can't fit in the standard seats at 30" pitch with no recline, upgrade to the seats with more legroom or look elsewhere;
- don't try and game them with your luggage, make sure you meet their criteria exactly in dimensions and weight, otherwise you will be dinged considerably;
- always have the boarding passes printed ahead of time as a backup to the boarding pass on your phone, I take their seat selection option to allow 60-day prior to flight boarding pass creation;
- ensure you understand the document check requirements for non-EU residents and get the boarding pass stamped as necessary;
- have no service expectation, as their processes are designed for their convenience and efficiency, not yours;
- arrive at the airport with plenty of time before the flight, they will enforce cut-offs 100% with no exceptions;
- ensure you have credit card or insurance coverage for cancellations due to weather or anything deemed out of the airline's control from an EU261 perspective, as all flights are point-to-point and provide no passenger recovery options;
- make sure you have your own food and entertainment fully organised.

Overall the reason why a ULCC can offer cheap flights and still be profitable is ruthless process efficiency with no exceptions, people who don't understand that are the ones who almost exclusively complain and generate the bad reputation for the airline, you can already see this on Skytrax for Swoop and it is the common theme for Ryanair. I know lots of friends and relatives in the UK who are quite happy to use Ryanair, as I am.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod
I've flown on Ryanair 3 times in the past and have another flight with them in Aug from LPL to BCN and in Sep from CIA to STN. I would say that Ryanair gets about 50% of my business for my intra-European flying now due to a combination of price, on-time performance and predictability. They are an excellent flying bus service if you take the following into account:

- there is no ticket flexibility, use credit card or other insurance to cover ticket refund in extenuating circumstances, don't plan on ever changing the Ryanair ticket;
- if you can't fit in the standard seats at 30" pitch with no recline, upgrade to the seats with more legroom or look elsewhere;
- don't try and game them with your luggage, make sure you meet their criteria exactly in dimensions and weight, otherwise you will be dinged considerably;
- always have the boarding passes printed ahead of time as a backup to the boarding pass on your phone, I take their seat selection option to allow 60-day prior to flight boarding pass creation;
- ensure you understand the document check requirements for non-EU residents and get the boarding pass stamped as necessary;
- have no service expectation, as their processes are designed for their convenience and efficiency, not yours;
- arrive at the airport with plenty of time before the flight, they will enforce cut-offs 100% with no exceptions;
- ensure you have credit card or insurance coverage for cancellations due to weather or anything deemed out of the airline's control from an EU261 perspective, as all flights are point-to-point and provide no passenger recovery options;
- make sure you have your own food and entertainment fully organised.

Overall the reason why a ULCC can offer cheap flights and still be profitable is ruthless process efficiency with no exceptions, people who don't understand that are the ones who almost exclusively complain and generate the bad reputation for the airline, you can already see this on Skytrax for Swoop and it is the common theme for Ryanair. I know lots of friends and relatives in the UK who are quite happy to use Ryanair, as I am.
Agree with this 100%. For people on a beer budget and expect to get...beer, Ryanair and the like are very good, but don't show up without the expectation that they will attempt to extract more $$$ from you at every possible turn of events. Don't use these guys if you have Champagne tastes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.