Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet to purchase Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet to purchase Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I would expect it to all be out of YYZ. WS doesn't seem to care that much about the rest of Canada.
I would disagree with you on this. Westjet has been very good at developing route out of a lot of Canadian cities.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I would disagree with you on this. Westjet has been very good at developing route out of a lot of Canadian cities.
And now that we know China is in the works we can assume YYC and/or YVR as gateways amongst other possibilities.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by WestonC
And now that we know China is in the works we can assume YYC and/or YVR as gateways amongst other possibilities.
I would think Westjet will do China out of YYC before YVR. I think YVR would be a better choice for connections, but YYC is their home city. Also, if Westjet does HKG out of YYC, I don't think they could do daily until they get their 787 numbers up. This route takes more than 1 day to fly return.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I would think Westjet will do China out of YYC before YVR. I think YVR would be a better choice for connections, but YYC is their home city. Also, if Westjet does HKG out of YYC, I don't think they could do daily until they get their 787 numbers up. This route takes more than 1 day to fly return.
Maybe - but YVR is saturated with flights to China and YYC only has one - plus Saretsky has already hinted at YYC.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question will this deal close given WS experience in LGW?

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Yes!! Tokyo.

I think they need a tier above Gold, so that when they join an alliance or start this long routes, we get top tier. Or, they need to stop status matching. Either will do.
AC just announced non-stop 787 service to NRT from YUL. What about PVG?

My question is whether or not this deal will close? First quarter 2019 is very soon to introduce a new aircraft type, train staff and market the extra capacity. Also, WS did such a poor job of introducing LGW service that it lost a lot of its good will in the European market at least.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
AC just announced non-stop 787 service to NRT from YUL. What about PVG?

My question is whether or not this deal will close? First quarter 2019 is very soon to introduce a new aircraft type, train staff and market the extra capacity. Also, WS did such a poor job of introducing LGW service that it lost a lot of its good will in the European market at least.
The schedule is aggressive, but doable. There is certainly a strong focus internally to get this done on time. The new YYC 787 hangar construction started 2 weeks ago. The 787 type introduction is not as radical for WestJet as it sounds, as a lot of the processes and procedures for maintaining and IT-enabling the MAX are based on the 787 processes and procedures, those are now in place in preparation for the first 7M8 arrival on-site. Marketing the capacity of the initial 4 787s, an increase in seat capacity of approximately 7% across the fleet in 1Q19, should not be a problem as WestJet has absorbed greater seat capacity growth in shorter periods in the past.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
https://globalnews.ca/news/3762084/w...medium=Twitter

WestJet breaks ground on hangar to accommodate new Dreamliner 787 jet

WestJet is gearing up for delivery of its first Boeing Dreamliner 787 by breaking ground on a new $50-million hangar at the Calgary International Airport.

The company announced in April it had placed a firm order for 10 of the Boeing 787-9 widebody jets, which will allow it to serve new destinations in Asia, South America and Europe with higher-end offerings like lie-flat seating.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Seeing a lot of WJ commercials lately announcing their new business class. Looks very similar to AC product, especially I noticed in terms of screen and table. Looked like reverse herringbone.
They also announced a new higher tier of reward for frequent flyer, I wonder how they will compete vs AC in the next 2-3yrs.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:18 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
Seeing a lot of WJ commercials lately announcing their new business class. Looks very similar to AC product, especially I noticed in terms of screen and table. Looked like reverse herringbone.
They also announced a new higher tier of reward for frequent flyer, I wonder how they will compete vs AC in the next 2-3yrs.
I think they will have problems competing for the high end FF. Their FF program benefits are still well below AC’s., with a very limited international flight schedule. Plus, I don’t think WestJet is willing to spend $million opening/operating their own lounges around the world.. Also, they are going to have to join Oneworld or Skyteam, which will increase their over all operating costs.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 5mm

I think they will have problems competing for the high end FF. Their FF program benefits are still well below AC’s., with a very limited international flight schedule. Plus, I don’t think WestJet is willing to spend $million opening/operating their own lounges around the world.. Also, they are going to have to join Oneworld or Skyteam, which will increase their over all operating costs.
'
They don't need to join Skyteam, but rather setup mileage reciprocity with select partners, just as Alaska Airlines does it - no alliance, but plenty of global partners to earn/redeem miles. WS already has an existing relationship with Delta they can expand on, and for lounges they can partner with Priority Pass and select partner lounges for their business class customers.

Last edited by bocastephen; Oct 12, 2018 at 7:21 pm Reason: Auto correct typo
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
WA already has an existing relationship with Delta they can expand on...
WA (Western Airlines) from the United States is defunct, but WS (Westjet) indeed does have an existing, and expanding, relationship with Delta! 😊
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question reality strikes

I re-read this thread after many months - and had a good chuckle!

WS to launch service to Asia? From YYC? Fat chance, that! WS actual announcement was to launch 787 service to DUB, CDG & LGW. Two are (at least) new destinations. Is that all there is?
I also looked at their new "premium" fare structure. Fares are competitive - in the 2K range. But that does get me lie flat seating?
YYC009 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I re-read this thread after many months - and had a good chuckle!

WS to launch service to Asia? From YYC? Fat chance, that! WS actual announcement was to launch 787 service to DUB, CDG & LGW. Two are (at least) new destinations. Is that all there is?
I also looked at their new "premium" fare structure. Fares are competitive - in the 2K range. But that does get me lie flat seating?
CDG and DUB are not new destinations for WS, but they are new for YYC. I'd still bet on at least one Asian destination from YYC. Premium is premium economy; you need business if you want the lie-flat (reverse herringbone like AC). More destinations will be announced as they shift the 767s to YYZ and get more 789s. These are just the first three in 2019.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: United Premier Silver, Southwest A-List, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Gold, Starbucks Gold :)
Does anyone know if WS plans on flying the 787 in revenue service domestically prior to putting it on YYC-LGW? Between January delivery and end of April service start is awfully long time.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by N777UA
Does anyone know if WS plans on flying the 787 in revenue service domestically prior to putting it on YYC-LGW? Between January delivery and end of April service start is awfully long time.
Yes, the first aircraft should be used in a similar way to the first 767 when it arrived, likely 3 months of low intensity usage to prove ETOPS operation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.