Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet to purchase Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet to purchase Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Dreamliner event taking place on Thursday:

http://westjet.mediaroom.com/2019-02-12-Media-Advisory-WestJets-exclusive-behind-the-scenes-Boeing-787-9-Dreamliner-tour

News Releases

Media Advisory: WestJet's exclusive behind the scenes Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner tour

CALGARY, Feb. 12, 2019 /CNW/ - Media are invited to the WestJet campus in Calgary on Thursday, Feb. 14, 2019 to show their love for WestJet's new Dreamliner. Media will have exclusive pre-access to the aircraft along with interview opportunities with key spokespeople.

WHAT:
WestJet's Boeing Dreamliner Valentine's Day Show & Shine

WHEN:
Thursday, Feb. 14 from 8:15 a.m. – 10 a.m. MT
*Please dress for winter weather as the WestJet Hangar door will be open during the tour

RSVP:
Due to limited space, media are kindly requested to RSVP
no later than Wednesday, Feb. 13 at 12 p.m. MT.

WHERE:
WestJet Campus (Main Lobby)
22 Aerial Place NE, Calgary, Alta.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
8:15 a.m. MT – Media Check-in at Main Lobby
8:30 a.m. MT – Welcome remarks from Ed Sims, WestJet's President and CEO
8:40 a.m. MT – Additional remarks from:

Jeff Martin, WestJet's Chief Operating Officer
Arved von zur Muehlen, WestJet's Chief Commercial Officer
Louis Saint-Cyr, WestJet's Vice President Guest Experience and In-Flight Operations

9:00-9:30 a.m. MT – Dreamliner Media Tour with Richard Bartrem, Vice President Marketing Communications (Photo & Video capture)

9:40-10 a.m. MT – Media scrums with Jeff Martin, Arved Von Zur Muehlen, Louis Saint-Cyr, Richard Bartrem

10:00 a.m. MT – Event concludes
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Any news about dreamliners for WS flights out of YVR?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by lsquare
Any news about dreamliners for WS flights out of YVR?
YVR is at present WS's secondary hub in the west. I expect we will see Asia flights out of YVR, but my best guess is this will come after YYZ gets a Dreamliner base in 2020. So, 2021?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:42 am

Behind the scenes: Dreamliner launches WestJet into new era of air travel
On Feb. 14, WestJet Airlines will lift the curtain on a new plane and a new era.

The Calgary-based company has chosen Valentine’s Day to unveil its new 787 Dreamliner, which rolled out of the factory door at the Boeing manufacturing plant in Everett, Wash., last month. The 320-seat plane — the first of three arriving at WestJet’s Calgary headquarters this winter — is bigger, more technologically advanced, and more luxurious than anything the airline has flown before.

The aircraft’s arrival also represents a milestone that many within the company say is as significant a moment as the original launch of WestJet 23 years ago. When flights to London, Paris and Dublin begin this spring, WestJet’s new Dreamliner service (the company will take possession of a total of 10 787s by 2021, with an option to buy ten more) will make the airline a truly international carrier able to go head-to-head with Air Canada in the global market.

But there’s much more to becoming an international carrier than just buying a few big planes. Behind the scenes at WestJet’s Calgary headquarters, teams have worked feverishly for months to get ready for the crucial April 28 launch date. From food and beverage service to the launch of a new business cabin to the operation of the plane itself, this is a significant change for WestJet — and the company is determined to be ready.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
YVR is at present WS's secondary hub in the west. I expect we will see Asia flights out of YVR, but my best guess is this will come after YYZ gets a Dreamliner base in 2020. So, 2021?
I'm curious how WS intends to compete against the Chinese carriers if it flies to Asia especially China. There are lots of cheap flights with the Chinese carriers to PEK, PVG, and HKG. They include meals and free checked bags for the cheap economy fares. WS didn't even offer me food when I flew with them to LGW from YYZ. Can you imagine not having food for a 10+ hour flight?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:40 pm

I'm curious how WS intends to compete against the Chinese carriers if it flies to Asia especially China. There are lots of cheap flights with the Chinese carriers to PEK, PVG, and HKG. They include meals and free checked bags for the cheap economy fares. WS didn't even offer me food when I flew with them to LGW from YYZ. Can you imagine not having food for a 10+ hour flight?
WS will be providing food for all international 787 flights. But yes, its a good point to see how they will stack up against China Eastern, Southern, China Airlines etc.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:46 pm

WS didn't even offer me food when I flew with them to LGW from YYZ. Can you imagine not having food for a 10+ hour flight?
Do you mean they didn’t offer free food or they didn’t even offer food for purchase?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYCguy

Do you mean they didn’t offer free food or they didn’t even offer food for purchase?
Sorry, I should have been more clear. The only free food, if you can even call it that, were pretzels and cookies. Basically the same thing that would be served on a yvr-yyz flight. Meals were available for purchase. I personally think WS should offer meals and luggage for all intercontinental flights.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jonsie
WS will be providing food for all international 787 flights. But yes, its a good point to see how they will stack up against China Eastern, Southern, China Airlines etc.
You sure? Even flights to lgw? What about for their other planes?

Pricing will be very important especially for flights out of yvr and yyz. There is no shortage of options. If WS do what they’re doing for their flights to lgw, I think they’re going to fail. I haven’t flown AC to Asia for years. Forget about the Chinese carriers for a sec, what will WS offer that AC isn’t offering?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:35 am

I do believe that the YYC to Europe flights on the 787 will have complimentary meals in all cabins, but I believe the YYZ to Europe flights on the 767 will be status quo (food for purchase in economy/complimentary in Premium).
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:43 am

You sure? Even flights to lgw? What about for their other planes?

Pricing will be very important especially for flights out of yvr and yyz. There is no shortage of options. If WS do what they’re doing for their flights to lgw, I think they’re going to fail. I haven’t flown AC to Asia for years. Forget about the Chinese carriers for a sec, what will WS offer that AC isn’t offering?
Positive RE free food on 787 International routes. Not on any other route including the 767. I do think its slightly confusing for passengers. I don't see why they can't provide the same service on the 767.
What do you mean by "If WS do what they're doing for their flights to LGW, I think they're going to fail"?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:55 pm

Dreamliner fleet will bring jobs, new visitors to Calgary, says WestJet CEO

AMANDA STEPHENSON, CALGARY HERALD
Updated: February 14, 2019

Speaking to reporters and invited guests, who were offered a first glimpse of the company’s first Boeing 787 aircraft before it begins scheduled service to Toronto next week and international service to London-Gatwick April 28, CEO Ed Sims said WestJet chose Calgary as its Dreamliner hub because it believes the market is currently under-served when it comes to wide-body, international flying. He said WestJet’s new Dreamliner service, which will also include flights to Paris and Dublin beginning this spring and summer, will offer Calgarians more convenient departure, arrival and connection times than any other airline.

https://calgaryherald.com/business/l...ys-westjet-ceo
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
I do believe that the YYC to Europe flights on the 787 will have complimentary meals in all cabins, but I believe the YYZ to Europe flights on the 767 will be status quo (food for purchase in economy/complimentary in Premium).
Now that is a silly move and confusing for the end customer.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Now that is a silly move and confusing for the end customer.
I know, right? 🤨
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know, right? 🤨
Doesn't make any sense to me. Everyone should complain to WS. I would be happy with even sandwiches! Better than just eating pretzels/cookies for a trans-atlantic flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.