Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet to purchase Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet to purchase Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Error 601
I have to think there is some sort of incentive to keeping the seat-count down at least in the short-run. A lie-flat cabin would accomplish that while still allowing them to provide a horrendous economy seat. They're jumping into a much larger plane and reporting that those fifty or sixty additional seats are empty probably wouldn't be well received after that type of capex.

I'm finding myself more and more ambivalent about lie-flat suites or whatever they're branded. I honestly recall having been more comfortable and sleeping better in big-old business class seats in the 90's.
What is their incentive for providing a horrendous economy seat? If they are going after Air Canada's market, which is what they should be doing, offering a more comfortable seat with even a smidgen of extra space coupled with better service and seamless integration with Skyteam would put a nail in Air Canada's international business.

Hopefully Westjet is clear on who their competition really is.
Old May 16, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
They don't need the 787 to do that. It seems pretty obvious to me that nobody in Canada is looking to compete on the basis of a superior economy seat.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
WestJet could fly to SYD from YYC - a stop in HNL would make it possible. It wasn't that many years ago that AC still stopped in HNL on its SYD flights.

I'm not sure what the fifth freedom rights are about revenue passengers from SYD-HNL (not sure I have the right freedom there), but if that's possible, this could make a lot of sense for WestJet.
Old May 17, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by PhotoJim
WestJet could fly to SYD from YYC - a stop in HNL would make it possible. It wasn't that many years ago that AC still stopped in HNL on its SYD flights.

I'm not sure what the fifth freedom rights are about revenue passengers from SYD-HNL (not sure I have the right freedom there), but if that's possible, this could make a lot of sense for WestJet.
For thru traffic, that stop in HNL was barbaric. Get off the plane, get your bags, go through US immigration, get back on the plans...all in the middle of the night. No thanks. Non-stop wins.
Old May 18, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
For thru traffic, that stop in HNL was barbaric. Get off the plane, get your bags, go through US immigration, get back on the plans...all in the middle of the night. No thanks. Non-stop wins.
Exactly.

US has no sense for a proper connecting pax procedure/experience.
It is non existent.
Old May 20, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
How about a new name and rebrand for this airline to put it in a new league?
Old May 21, 2017, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by YVR72
How about a new name and rebrand for this airline to put it in a new league?
The WestJet brand alone is worth about $1 billion, why would it make sense to throw that away and pay to build a new brand, instead of adding value to the existing one? The current league is working quite well, why shift to a different one?
Old May 21, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
YYC-SYD would likely outside the permissible range for the config the WestJet 789 will be in (higher seat count than AC guaranteed)
Don't be so sure on the seat count being higher than AC. Don't forget, AC currently flies the highest density seating in the industry for its 777-300s, and eliminated some washrooms to cram 458 seats into a 350-seat plane. They like density as much as anyone.
Old May 21, 2017, 10:40 am

JL is still the winner when it comes to 773 seat density.
500 seats.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Don't be so sure on the seat count being higher than AC. Don't forget, AC currently flies the highest density seating in the industry for its 777-300s, and eliminated some washrooms to cram 458 seats into a 350-seat plane. They like density as much as anyone.
AF flies long haul 77Ws in denser configurations than AC. Regionally several operate 777-300s with more seats as well.

I presume if WS goes with lie flat seats, they'll be cut-rate high density ones like LX or old-777HD and a much smaller cabin than AC's typical 40J leading to higher capacity overall.

In terms of the 789, NZ, EY, LA, DY, TZ, and BY all have more total seats than AC.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
What is their incentive for providing a horrendous economy seat? If they are going after Air Canada's market, which is what they should be doing, offering a more comfortable seat with even a smidgen of extra space coupled with better service and seamless integration with Skyteam would put a nail in Air Canada's international business.

Absolutely no one in Canada will compete on superior Y. It's laughable considering WS are the ones leading the race to the bottom by pioneering Canadian TATL Y with no meal service. The Canadian track record sucks:
1) AC - densifying
2) WS - densifying 737s + BOB long haul
3) Sunwing - regulatory max 737 seats
4) Air Transat - 9-abreast A330/A310, regulatory max 737 seats

Even if they were all-J, 10 789s will not put a nail in any market AC flies. WS is using 4 763s to serve just one destination, largely seasonally. AC is filling 6 77Ws, 1 789, 3 763s and a 319 daily to London (more seats than pre-WS service). Business traffic will still prefer LHR.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: HH Silver
Does this international expansion put in jeopardy WestJet's long-standing policy against overbooking?
Old May 22, 2017, 9:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by tcook052
Does this international expansion put in jeopardy WestJet's long-standing policy against overbooking?
Remember when they came out with their "westjet Careantee" that stated they would never charge for bags. Then about 6 months later....

Just sayin
Old May 22, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Absolutely no one in Canada will compete on superior Y. It's laughable considering WS are the ones leading the race to the bottom by pioneering Canadian TATL Y with no meal service. The Canadian track record sucks:....
And that's a shame because the bar is set so low, it wouldn't take very much in terms of better product or service to send Air Canada to the trash bin of history. Unfortunately Canadians seem to get screwed on everything from cell phone service to airlines, even with competition.

However, as we consistently point out in the Air Canada thread - you have alternatives with a single connection from most of Canada, within either *A or ST, airlines that are far, fare better than Air Canada or Westjet could dream of.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen

I think they are hitting the wall on what the can do with the 737 and Dash-8. If they want growth they need wide body aircraft. The 787-9 is the smallest new aircraft they can get into. It is to much plane for a pure economy operation out of Canada. To much plane for a economy + premium economy operation. They are left offering International Business Class + Economy.

Back in the day when AC operated nine across 777-300, part of the justification for the aircraft was they needed the cargo capacity but it was a bit to big for their needs (and 9 across also the norm). Today they can fill a 10 across aircraft so the 9 across configuration is gone.

I would not be surprised if WestJet did something similar. Build their business model on a slightly less dense aircraft. Once they build the market, then bump up the density.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: AC E50K
In terms of the 789, NZ, EY, LA, DY, TZ, and BY all have more total seats than AC.
That's not really a fair comparison as EY has no PY, NZ has 18J cabin, etc.
Premium seats take more space.

The Y pitch on AC 789 is 30", while EY and NZ are 31-32". AC is stuffing an extra row of Y in the space as other airlines. For example AC has 15 rows in the last Y cabin, almost all other carriers have 14. Even carriers like Norwegian or Scoot.

AC has one of the densest (or maybe THE densest taking into account the number of J and PY seats AC has) mainline 789 configs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.